"The Ill Methodology"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

"The Ill Methodology"

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Last night Ill Gates (Dylan The Phat Conductor) did an excellent seminar as part of the Decibel Festival here in Seattle. He covered a ton of great info about being an artist, getting into a creative headspace, right through into how to arrange your songs, concrete production advice, and some really unique Live tips. Highly recommended if he ever comes to your town, I can't see anyone not learning quite a bit.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

deepdirtydub

Re: "The Ill Methodology"

Post by deepdirtydub » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 pm

I agree fully... I caught his workshop in Toronto last weekend and it was great. Highly recommended!

PS Tarekith he plugged your mastering services... I may have some work for you soon!

WayStyles

Post by WayStyles » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Tarekith wrote:Last night Ill Gates (Dylan The Phat Conductor) did an excellent seminar as part of the Decibel Festival here in Seattle. He covered a ton of great info about being an artist, getting into a creative headspace, right through into how to arrange your songs, concrete production advice, and some really unique Live tips. Highly recommended if he ever comes to your town, I can't see anyone not learning quite a bit.
Yeah, last night was dope. I could dig his work flow on Ableton.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:54 pm

It's always interesting to me to see how completely different people work. I never use midi or Sampler, but he lives by it. Was a bit bummed I couldn't stick around for the last bit of his talk, wife's car is in the shop and I had to leave to get her at work :(

Anyway, Dylan's a super nice guy and this was one of the few production oriented seminars that I actually enjoyed listening to 100%.
Tarekith

beatflux

Post by beatflux » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:13 am

The Creativity part of his seminar comes from the book "The Artist's Way." Sample 128's are pretty neat.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:21 am

His arrangement ideals are spot on too. Reminds me of the subtractive sequencing guide I wrote, though he expressed the core ideals so much better than I did. The 128 thing reminds me of my old S3000XL days, definitely a very detailed workflow idea what saves you time in the writing phase.
Tarekith

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Saw his seminar a while back and really enjoyed it also. I liked what he said about the uncarved block.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Hmm? Too bad I had to leave during his opening dialogue then.
Left and right brain analogies kind of leave me dry, but he's a pretty cool guy, chatted with him before his presentation.
Not surprised it got more interesting after he got going! Was discussing Live with him and he knows his shit.

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm

I had to leave before his presentation :( Care to share any of his insights with us ... especially regarding his use of Sampler?
-grimley

beatflux

Post by beatflux » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

grimleyj wrote:I had to leave before his presentation :( Care to share any of his insights with us ... especially regarding his use of Sampler?
-grimley
Get 128 perc samples. Use an audio channel to organize them if you wish. Drop them into Sampler. Go to zone tab, hit the key button. All samples should be selected, right click and select "distribute ranges equally." Then use the piano roll/piano midi controller to write out percussion.

Imperial Thrilla

Post by Imperial Thrilla » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Its true, Ill Gates knows his stuff hardcore. I'm lucky enough to live in his home town and he set me straight huge though many studio sessions. Did I mention he is super cool?

IT

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Imperial Thrilla wrote:Its true, Ill Gates knows his stuff hardcore. I'm lucky enough to live in his home town and he set me straight huge though many studio sessions. Did I mention he is super cool?

IT

supercool? so he never will become a rectified rainer? :wink:
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Is there video of the seminar?

He makes different music to myself but I'd drop a couple of bucks in a paypal if he decides to post it.

Am sure that someone must have recorded it...
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

deathkills

Post by deathkills » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah i have been to 2 of his workshops in Colorado.
the main methodology then he came back a few months later and did an extention going deeper into what was explained in the first 1 its great.
rumor has he is work or has finished a 12 week course... but not sure when it will roll out.
128's changed everything

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:32 pm

beatflux wrote:
grimleyj wrote:I had to leave before his presentation :( Care to share any of his insights with us ... especially regarding his use of Sampler?
-grimley
Get 128 perc samples. Use an audio channel to organize them if you wish. Drop them into Sampler. Go to zone tab, hit the key button. All samples should be selected, right click and select "distribute ranges equally." Then use the piano roll/piano midi controller to write out percussion.
Does he explain if there is an advantage to doing this rather than dragging 128 samples to a drum rack?
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal