Are we ready for more prefference options?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do we want more user prefferences?

Yes, i can deal with it, better than too much compromizing
48%
Yes, but only where it makes real sense.
45%
I dont Mind..
No votes
No, Ableton knows best what is good for me
7%
No, its too complikated allready
No votes

Total votes: 44

outershpongolia

Re: Are we ready for more prefference options?

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 am

Tarekith wrote:Another vote for more preferences. I'd love to see a pref that let's me define a default soundcard to use whenever it's connected.
This is the main reason why I couldn't put together a setup where I could press the power button on the laptop and moments later everything would be running.. first problem was that my soundcard - if it wasn't the last one used - wouldn't be selected - and also you could only open the template set, and I wanted that to be something else other than what I use live - ehhh

photonal

Post by photonal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 am

Personnally I fink their shud be a speeling check preference.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 am

I voted 'yes'. However, all things in perspective - having more choices is more flexible and powerful, but you can take this too far. One of the things I hate about Reaper is the 10,000 choices you have in context menus, with a lot of those options worded in a very jargonistic and unclear way.

Find a happy medium - something like Cubase's preferences, which gives a lot of depth but without being ridiculous and ploughing through several pages like Reaper can be.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 am

Sure. Bring 'em on. While we're at it, additional or customizable keyboard shortcuts too.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:59 am

One thing i just realized is that the politics of keeping the prefferences compact also is limiting developments in other departments..

> the syncing feature i am talking so much about lately..

when you think about quick solution for certain missing functionalitys or compromizing behaviour that dont suits all..

you get to the point that easy fixes relate to preff setting..or song settings..that are not there..

so ther is only one choice.. to have the one szise fits all strategy.. that obviously needs bigger development time than is there..

So the structural change towards an enhanced preff/and song settings system would open up opertunitys for quick fixes or user group dependend wishes like dj functionality versus producer functionality..

I think it would help ableton to be in the preff regards a bit more like the others.. but getting better in than the others in the main functionality instead..

in the end of the day a compact pref set is no quality mark for a workstation.. thats rather a quality mark for an alarm clock.. or such
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 am

just one more that just came in my mind where more prefs are needed aswell..

the rec file checkbox.. only one for all files that ableton creates..

but while it makes much sense to consolidate or bounce internaly in 32 bit float it dont males much sense to record outside materials in more than 24 fixed..actually 16 bit would be enough..

especially when you do 16 track multitrack recordings on 1 hour length you quickly realize that 32bit is eating your harddisk in no time..

this is defently another area wher more preff options would enhance the user experiance when working with live
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I'd love to see: "always collect all and save", and an end to the prompt. I don't know why it's an option at all.