How to record Clip-automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
humnumb

Re: How to record Clip-automation?

Post by humnumb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Or you can just use Maschine.

Klinke

Post by Klinke » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 am

....thanks for all the thoughts and help.

The switch to record into session or arrangement is a good idea.
--
Thanks for the work-around link. (going to check it out)

--
...And yes, i bought Maschine a month ago...it's great to record autom. into patterns with the nice knobs.(It's really quick.) :D

It was the v1.6 news, that made me buy it in the end. Big fun.

(edit: I was close to buy an APC...but no. It's so "obvious".)
Pineapple, cards or cocaine?

alexaaz

Post by alexaaz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:25 pm

One thing the Abes could add that would at least let us experiment more freely is multiple arrangements. It must be sooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to implement... just have a little pull down bar at the top with the arrangements listed and an "Add Arrangement" and "Delete Arrangement" option.

Thanks

YrG9FWW5

Post by YrG9FWW5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 pm

This recording my automation in clips is giving me a headache 8O
I just want to twist my knobs and record the loop in a clip and jam with the clips to create an arrangement.
and not have the clips go all screwy when i turn a knop after recording with the relative and absolute gibberish
why is this not possible, it baffles me, can logic do this???

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 am

YrG9FWW5 wrote:This recording my automation in clips is giving me a headache 8O
I just want to twist my knobs and record the loop in a clip and jam with the clips to create an arrangement.
and not have the clips go all screwy when i turn a knop after recording with the relative and absolute gibberish
Just get Maschine.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 am

Klinke wrote:In Arrangement it is no problem to record automation(envelopes..). I want a simple midi-overdub with CC-data (hardw. fader/knob, no mouse) in a clip, then be able to drag it from session to arrangement and vice versa.
Well first off you are still making the mistake of thinking Clip Envelopes and Arrangement Automation are the same thing, and they aren't. Plenty of info on that in the posts already made here. But, the good news for you is (though this has been covered here too) you can record CC-data into clip envelopes. If the CC is mapped to a controller, (like MIDI CC2 = Modwheel by default) movements of that controller will be recorded into the clip envelope when the clip is actively Recording: that is, you have to record arm the track, then start that clip running, then move your knob. There are no typical Read/Write switches, so the track has to be actively recording into the clip for it to work. If it doesn't show up automatically, you can find it using the two drop down menus; top one is "MIDI," bottom one lists the various MIDI parameters.

There are some limitations to this, as has been pointed out in the thread (e.g. messy results if you try to tweak that knob in real-time once the clip envelope is set) but it seems for your purposes, at least, this should work.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 am

You can only record controller movements of MIDI CCs in Live's session view with third party plugins that have their own midi learn system. So you can't even use that workaround for Live's own native devices! And after recording MIDI CC into a clip, moving that parameter conflicts with the cc envelope and it jumps around, rather than behaving like an ableton control that has a clip envelope, where you can still move the control and the envelope is relative to the position of the control while tweaking.

There's also the IAC/Yoke virtual MIDI port workaround though that also causes various issues & complications.

YrG9FWW5

Post by YrG9FWW5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:58 am

humnumb wrote:
YrG9FWW5 wrote:This recording my automation in clips is giving me a headache 8O
Just get Maschine.
Yeah probably the best. I allready owned Maschine 1.5 and sold it, but now with the new plugin hosting in maschine i will probably sell Ableton Live and go Maschine all the way. Never thought this would happen, but the clip automation problems is a deal breaker for me. <Rant mode on> And why is ableton still 32 bit, ableton is really losing its shine fast for me lol <Rant mode off>

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:44 pm

YrG9FWW5 wrote:
Yeah probably the best. I allready owned Maschine 1.5 and sold it, but now with the new plugin hosting in maschine i will probably sell Ableton Live and go Maschine all the way. Never thought this would happen, but the clip automation problems is a deal breaker for me. <Rant mode on> And why is ableton still 32 bit, ableton is really losing its shine fast for me lol <Rant mode off>

I understand the clip automation thing being a big deal, but I hope for your sake that you consider the bazillion things Live can do as a full-featured DAW that Maschine can't before you make this move...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:45 am

Maschine is not daw. If you can compare the two that'll mean you are noob.

By the way, back to the topic, I have been saying "Divide the session view and arrangement view". It will clear all of the obstacle that are being said by many people. It's time to seperate the two concept. It's now stucked at the crossroad.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

It's now stucked at the crossroad.
You are noob :lol:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:59 am

Sibanger wrote:
You won't need any improvement becaues you don't even realize where the limitations came from, and the more important thing for you seems to be rather quibbling other forum member's post. We have wonderful veteran user here. :lol:

YrG9FWW5

Post by YrG9FWW5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Maschine is not daw. If you can compare the two that'll mean you are noob.

By the way, back to the topic, I have been saying "Divide the session view and arrangement view". It will clear all of the obstacle that are being said by many people. It's time to seperate the two concept. It's now stucked at the crossroad.
Yes, i am a noob that just wants to twist his buttons and record it in a clip. Unableton to do so :mrgreen:
Of course i can record it to audio or do it in arrangement view, that's what i do now, but you should not underestimate the functionality and simplicity of machine, it will be the daw of the future for noobs like me all over the world :lol:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:46 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
Sibanger wrote:
You won't need any improvement becaues you don't even realize where the limitations came from, and the more important thing for you seems to be rather quibbling other forum member's post. We have wonderful veteran user here. :lol:
Pencilrocket, don't be so defensive. I was just having a good old laugh. :D

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 am

I am always told that I shouldn't be so aggressive.