Akai Announces MPK mini 25 key USB Mini-Controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Akai Announces MPK mini 25 key USB Mini-Controller

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:21 pm

I find the pitch wheel much more important than mod wheel for those subtle bends. Most things that would be assigned to mod wheel can at least be assigned to knobs as well. But pitch wheel is harder to emulate with a knob because it doesn't automatically bounce back to default.

Crap, I just got the LPK25 though about two weeks ago. I probably would have got this instead.
Professional Shark Jumper.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:30 pm

If you have a Guitar Center near you, you could probably use their Trade In/Trade Up policy to get maybe 20 dollars towards it, plus 10% off.

Not ideal, but at least it's not wasted money :D

2be

Post by 2be » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:40 pm

The bastard child of the LPK25 and the LPD8 :lol:
Just kidding, looks like a near perfect (where are the weels?) controller for laptop production.

I got the LPK25. It's the only keyboard controller I have in my studio and it's superb! While 25 keys do not really cut it if you want to compose something more complicated than lead and bass lines (will upgrade to a bigger Akai keyboard soon...), its build quality is really good and I really like the feel of the keys. Also, I'm a big fan of the Akai oldschool design!

Would get the controller if I didn't already have a portable keyboard.

Wilco75

Post by Wilco75 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a noob and that will surely be apparant from my posts, but i just started playing around with one of these and while using Simple Delay in Ableton I mapped the Time/Sync toggles to two of the pads (I haven't figured out how to do this so the respective notes on the keyboard weren't also simultaneously mapped as well so any help with that would be appreciated) but while playing around with both the arpeggiator and sustain active, it started arpeggiating the midi command to switch between the two. This created some really sweet Glitch effects. Just a happy accident and maybe a technique that is basic and standard for most of you, more seasoned, musicians. Just thought i'd mention it.

Any idea where to find more extensive instructions on programming this thing? The downloadable Akai documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks

rosti

Post by rosti » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 am

Wilco75 wrote:(I haven't figured out how to do this so the respective notes on the keyboard weren't also simultaneously mapped as well so any help with that would be appreciated)
If you can, change the pads from note to (toggle-)CC mode. Not shure if you can do this with the MPK mini though :D

I think the keyboard itself programs like any other midi device. You can use Lives user remote scripts and Bomes midi translator to program scripts'n stuff if you like. I highly recommend using the remote script with Lives macro controls for making your life easier.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 am

i bought it. pads are perfect, best i had so far. keys perfect, small, sensitive, good quality, akai style. knobs do not have a support in live yet, but they will make it soon. small, compact, quality product. recommended buy.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Wilco75

Post by Wilco75 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 am

rosti wrote:
Wilco75 wrote:(I haven't figured out how to do this so the respective notes on the keyboard weren't also simultaneously mapped as well so any help with that would be appreciated)
If you can, change the pads from note to (toggle-)CC mode. Not shure if you can do this with the MPK mini though :D

I think the keyboard itself programs like any other midi device. You can use Lives user remote scripts and Bomes midi translator to program scripts'n stuff if you like. I highly recommend using the remote script with Lives macro controls for making your life easier.
Hey, so I figured it out. I had to have the pads and the knobs/keys on seperate midi channels. Basic i'm sure, but it stumped me for a week. Thanks for your help.