doepfer pocket dial - instant mapping?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swishniak

doepfer pocket dial - instant mapping?

Post by swishniak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 pm

just picked up an old pocket dial (with the fugly blue camo paint job!). loving the endless encoders and feel. is anyone else using this anymore?

has anyone had luck setting it up to work with instant mapping? maybe emulating an oxygen or mackie controller? im hoping to not have to mess with its ancient editor or any python scripts.. thought i would ask here first.

wiffbi

Re: doepfer pocket dial - instant mapping?

Post by wiffbi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 am

I still have one and use it – but only to mix… in… Logic… So no automatic setup in Live either. But I second that it would be cool to have such a thing.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:53 pm

nobody else?

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi, can't you just make a note of what CC each dial is sending and then create a custom instant mapping template txt file quickly?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 pm

swishniak wrote:just picked up an old pocket dial (with the fugly blue camo paint job!). loving the endless encoders and feel. is anyone else using this anymore?
Mine arrived 2 days ago. Found one in mint condition for a bargain. Also with the fugly blue camo job.
I went through 4 BCR's in like half the lifetime of this pocket dial.
swishniak wrote:has anyone had luck setting it up to work with instant mapping? maybe emulating an oxygen or mackie controller? im hoping to not have to mess with its ancient editor or any python scripts.. thought i would ask here first.
If you can't find a script with matching CC's, there's always the user configuration file option. That is just a textfile in which you enter the CC's.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:30 pm

hoffman2k wrote: If you can't find a script with matching CC's, there's always the user configuration file option. That is just a textfile in which you enter the CC's.
true - damn, that was easy! i think this pocket dial was the best 30 bucks ive spent in a long time.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:49 pm

swishniak wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: If you can't find a script with matching CC's, there's always the user configuration file option. That is just a textfile in which you enter the CC's.
true - damn, that was easy! i think this pocket dial was the best 30 bucks ive spent in a long time.
I can't believe they don't make these anymore. Sure, it would be nice to have it powered over USB. But you can't beat it for the money.

At first I just bought it to see the guts, as I'm doing an arduino project with ST8. But this one is a keeper. Hell, I might get a second. 30$? And I thought I got lucky :lol:

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote: I can't believe they don't make these anymore. Sure, it would be nice to have it powered over USB. But you can't beat it for the money.

At first I just bought it to see the guts, as I'm doing an arduino project with ST8. But this one is a keeper. Hell, I might get a second. 30$? And I thought I got lucky :lol:
well, 30 euros, but yeah - a steal. now i want another one. . and a pocket fader. thanks for the suggestion of the user configuration file, dont know why i never tried that before..

nicolas.kellner

Post by nicolas.kellner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:06 am

swishniak wrote:
Hello, can you help me with the setting for this?
I assign the matching CC's in the configuration file. But in instant mapping mode the dials in Ableton jump either to Zero or to "full"..
Seems like my pocket dial only sends the values "0" when I turn to the left and "127" when I turn to the right.
Which presets on the pocket dial do you use?
Any help appreciated!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:48 pm

i think i used 62, but most of them should work. just check the pocket dial manual (and maybe check with a midi monitor to make sure its really sending what it should be).

nicolas.kellner

Post by nicolas.kellner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:18 am

ok, thanks for the reply,.. trying it now.

tsetse

Post by tsetse » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey guys.
I read the thread but I didn't get how you use the Pocket Dial smoothly in Live. Hopefully you can help me out on this.

My Pocket Dial is connected via my Focusrite firewire interface - one cable, OUT (on the PD), IN (on the Focusrite)

The best I can currently get is this:
Using preset No: 111 (01110110) -the little pins on the back of the PD.
When mapping the Midi-Dials, I need to take care that the the Mode snaps to 'Relative (2's Comp)'. Sometimes it snaps to 'Absolute', in this case I need to change it manually to 'Relative'. It seems to depend a bit how quickly the dial is turned during the map-process.

This works, but frankly it is a bit of a pain in the ass.
I would really love to get this more smooth. Maybe even Automap it to the selected Instrument/Effect with the 'Blue Hand'. This would be amazing.

Apparently there is a way to use a text file, somehow. Could somebody explain how it is done?

Thanks guys.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:09 pm

hey tsetse

check out the folder: user/library/preferences/ableton/8.2(or current version)/user remote scripts

there is a text file which tells you what to do and how to do it. im also no heavy programmer; if i can do it, im sure you can.

one tip; i would try out some other presets (i dont know about "relative control"). and there are a bunch of other threads out there addressing this:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106519

if you still cant get it ill send you my script 8)

tsetse

Post by tsetse » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey,

thanks for your help. I feel I'm getting closer... yeah!

- I got a little midi-monitor program that tells me what comes out of the pocket dial
- I have the txt in the folder and I'm hacking around with the values, but it still doesn't make too much sense what happens in Live.
Live sees the PD-configuration. Basically I just need the correct values in the txt and the right preset, I guess.

The pocket dial basically has 4 banks of 16 dials... this would be 64 cannels, right?
What I wanna do is to automap the first 8 dials to the selected Live-device (some effects or instruments) and be able to map the remaining 56 channels to arbitrary values in the set.
I'm guessing I would need to put 8 Encoders in the [DeviceControls] but this doesn't really work well.

It would be really cool if you could post or send the script and the preset number that works for you... this would help alot.
Thanks.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:29 pm

As a hint you may consider that some presets output relative CC, others output absolute, etc....
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1