All times are UTC

Post subject: Why's my audio track so quiet?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:44 am 

I have a condenser microphone plugged into my laptop through an m audio audio buddy. Why is the vocal track so much more quiet than the midi tracks? Even after I've turned the audio track's volume to the max it's too quiet. :| Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Loren

Post subject: Re: Why's my audio track so quiet?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 am 

lgurman@indiana.edu wrote:
I have a condenser microphone plugged into my laptop through an m audio audio buddy. Why is the vocal track so much more quiet than the midi tracks? Even after I've turned the audio track's volume to the max it's too quiet. :| Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Loren
Are you using phantom power to power the mic? Condenser mics need to be powered, so make sure phantom power is turned on on your audio buddy. Are you checking what volume you are recording your vocals at?

Basically, the volume level of the audio track is equal to the volume you record it at. If the volume of the audio track is too low, you can either raise (or normalise) the volume in an audio editor or use a utility to add gain in whichever DAW you are using. This is in addition to your normal volume control. I would suggest recording at a good volume in the first place though, as you should not have to mess around too much with raising gain afterwards if you do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:34 am 

trevox wrote:
lgurman@indiana.edu wrote:
Loren
Are you using phantom power to power the mic? Condenser mics need to be powered, so make sure phantom power is turned on on your audio buddy. Are you checking what volume you are recording your vocals at?

Basically, the volume level of the audio track is equal to the volume you record it at. If the volume of the audio track is too low, you can either raise (or normalise) the volume in an audio editor or use a utility to add gain in whichever DAW you are using. This is in addition to your normal volume control. I would suggest recording at a good volume in the first place though, as you should not have to mess around too much with raising gain afterwards if you do.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the phantom power is on. And I've tried recording with the volume in the sample display all the way up. Is there a volume control somewhere I don't know about? And by the way, I cant seem to get the sample display to show unless I first record something and then delete it before I actually record.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 am 

The volume I am talking about is the gain on the audio buddy. What program are you recording in to? You should be able to see a meter showing you what level it is being recorded at. Well you can in Ableton, Logic and most audio editors I have used...