All times are UTC

Post subject: AudioUnits vs VSTs?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:14 pm 

Which plugin format do people here prefer? There seem to be a number of different pros and cons. I get the impression that there are probably more VSTs available since they've been around for longer. However, coming from a Logic Pro X background, I have a large number of free and budget Audio Unit plugins which I keep under control using http://www.auganizer.com, and the folder structure set up there also shows up in Ableton Live, which is pretty cool.

The reason I hesitate is that I wonder if there are any stability or sound quality issues using Audio Units in Ableton Live over using VSTs.

Thoughts, anyone?

Post subject: Re: AudioUnits vs VSTs?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:25 pm 

I've only ever used AU plug ins since switching to a Mac many years ago, never had any sound quality or stability issues. Obviously VST has some more functionality like MIDI routing and cross platform compatibility, but those were never concerns of mine. I don't even install the VST versions of my plug ins anymore, just don't need them myself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 pm 

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot more confident about Audio Units. On closer inspection of my AUs I notice with delight that several of my favorite plugins allow me to access the presets within the browser. It's looking like a win for Audio Units!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm 

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, it seems that the reason that a large number of plugins allow me to access their presets is because of work that I and others did in generating presets which could be read by Logic's Library view. A quick couple of checks using "Show in Finder" reveals that Ableton is able to read the same presets!

I invite you, therefore, to browse the thread at https://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1526. Be warned, it's a very long thread streatching over many years! Also some of the folder paths recommended in the earlier posts may have to be adjusted.

My contributions to the thread, for what it's worth, start at https://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=780. Most of the recent downloads should work fine. Like I say, the thread was aimed at Logic Pro users, but they seem to work equally well in Ableton Live!

Of course, since starting using Ableton Live, a month ago, I've come to realise the value in constructing sounds using the stock plugins and working from first principles. But equally, it's nice, sometimes, to have a selection of banging presets available!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 pm 

It's weird. Most DAWs, including Live, support both formats. The ones that don't are those that are mostly Windows only and Cubase (because Steinberg invented VST), Logic/Garageband/Mainstage (because Apple invented AU) and Pro Tools (because they invented AAX). I don't believe Reason supports AU yet, either. I have always been a Mac user, but I never used AUs until I bought Logic. I still use VSTs with Live.

Luckily when purchasing plugins almost all vendors provide VST, VST3, AU and often AAX for Pro Tools, 32 bit, 64 bit, etc. in the installer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 pm 

carlcaulkett wrote:
Which plugin format do people here prefer? There seem to be a number of different pros and cons. I get the impression that there are probably more VSTs available since they've been around for longer. However, coming from a Logic Pro X background, I have a large number of free and budget Audio Unit plugins which I keep under control using http://www.auganizer.com, and the folder structure set up there also shows up in Ableton Live, which is pretty cool.

The reason I hesitate is that I wonder if there are any stability or sound quality issues using Audio Units in Ableton Live over using VSTs.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'm more on the VST boat. I've had a few issues on AU versions before.

Also if I ever go PC, I have a easier chance of opening projects in a different platform.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:55 am 

hey,

over the years I've observed that VSTs seems to be more stable and cause fewer strange issues. so at a certain point I switched to using VSTs.

I have no idea what the technical reasons for this may be but that is my anecdotal experience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 am 

i have read in a few places over the years that sometimes the AU versions of plugins are simply the VST version with an extra wrapper on top.