Ableton Live sounds lackluster (for my purpose)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Saxer

Re: Ableton Live sounds lackluster (for my purpose)

Post by Saxer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 am

camel audios alchemy is a good pad-machine too

esky

Post by esky » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:12 am

Maybe you try the freebie stuff by Togeo Studios http://togeostudios.com/category/downloads/.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 am

the freeze button on the reverb is your friend.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 am

+1 to freezing reverbed synths and dropping them in simpler... a good washed out pad could be created using just live native devices... simpler with long attack and release,maybe with an long wavelength lfo doing stuff to the pitch, saturator, reverb with long decay time and maybe an eq to boost and cut frequencies.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:44 am

Yeah, Alchemy is also good but more expensive than Absynth (although I got the alchemy player and the planet earth thing for cheap on the charity deal and for what I paid it is amazing), haven't tried the Togeo studios ones, but they look worthy of a test also.

What comes already with the basic version of Live (not Suite with all the add on synths and content) and Simpler is very meagre with what it comes with in the box, reverb freeze or not. I think you need to look at 3rd party addons at least after a few tracks.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

remute99

Post by remute99 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

+1 for Omnisphere.
You can spend you time fiddling about with samples or Live's built in fx etc or get Omnisphere/Absynth/Alchemy, use the presets and concentrate on songwriting.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

joewalch

Post by joewalch » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:34 am

Without wanting to invite the whole analogue debate thing, have a look at picking up some second hand 80s synths from ebay. I picked up a Roland Juno 106 and a Yamaha Tone generator which gives me everything I need for lush pads.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:52 am

... the oldschool method would be to play chords on a cheap electric guitar through as many budget stomp boxes as you can get hold of, with a really long rack reverb somewhere near the end of a fx daisy chain. Ideally this could be precariously balanced on top of a transistor amp.
Totally avoids all this poncing about with modular synths... which just look like some one operating a telephone exchange live. :D