UAD 2 w/Ableton 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drako

Re: UAD 2 w/Ableton 8?

Post by drako » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 pm

tw1nstates wrote:It's alright but, to be honest,

there's a lot of hype around the plugs, they are good, but it's a big investment, the hardware isn't going to be aorund forever and there is equally as good stuff native these days.

Nice answer.
I think uad is a nice audio placebo, good marketing, nice gui's hype hype hype.....do they really sound better then other plugs?...nah i don't think so. But thats my opinion.
It's a damn expensive dongle.
And yes there is equally as good stuff native these days.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:25 am

there's a lot of hype around the plugs, they are good, but it's a big investment, the hardware isn't going to be aorund forever and there is equally as good stuff native these days.

Fatso is alright, manley pretty cool, the spaceech you might as well get soundtoys IMO - more versatile...

I like UAD but I am getting more and more to the point where I realise actually another eq or comp isn't that necessary and I can get wicked results with sonalksis / tubetech / urs....

But then i make electronic music and I am not going to appreciate the subtle differences as say, someone tracking guitars and brass and whathave you.
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply--very interesting on the soundtoys/tubetech/urs--I've got great results as well, so maybe this is all a big case of gearlust/limitations of my current machine. A new computer is a given at this point, so I'm currently thinking the wisest move is just the new computer first, then assess how much I "need" the UAD from there, thanks!!!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

kechambe

Post by kechambe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:24 am

drako wrote:

Nice answer.
I think uad is a nice audio placebo, good marketing, nice gui's hype hype hype.....do they really sound better then other plugs?...nah i don't think so. But thats my opinion.
In my opinion it's not hype. Whenever I compare another emulation to the UAD the UAD wins by a lot shot.

Regarding the sample question earlier -- I have a first get 4-core MacPro with a UAD2. I have my buffer at 512 with no issues. 256 works usually but every now and then things crash.
Keith

drako

Post by drako » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 pm

kechambe wrote:
drako wrote:

Nice answer.
In my opinion it's not hype. Whenever I compare another emulation to the UAD the UAD wins by a lot shot.

Regarding the sample question earlier -- I have a first get 4-core MacPro with a UAD2. I have my buffer at 512 with no issues. 256 works usually but every now and then things crash.
With what emu's you compared? :-D

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:13 pm

And have you done a double blind test?

Honestly, if you are making acoustic music, hmmm, perhaps.

But, it's not going to make your music that much better if you have stuff like I mentioned - Soundtoys URS / Sonalksis / Wavearts and others.

They are good plugs but they are not IMO worth the investment in the hardware over the other options out there.

The hardware is becoming obsolete, that's the nature of computer peripherals. I have 2 tc powercores that are almost worthless as well as the virus plugin x4...

And, computers are getting faster - Nebula is likely to be the way forward but they dont have the best operating software or ocmpany from what i can gether.

i think the whole gear lust thing is irrelevant after a while - yeah the UAD has got some nice tools, but at the end of the day all any of it is is harmonic distortion, time domain stuff and envelope shaping.

You'd be as well off learning more about actual production techniques and why bits of gear sound the way they do rather than spending thousands on a hardware system that's not going to last as long as your software licences.

I have invested a lot in the UAD and I now wish i'd just bought more hardware... YRMV but gearlust is a gripping and all consuming thing, just thought i'd add my bit.

Also, am sure the poster here is genuine but there sure are a lot of UAD shills on their non official forum talking up every release and actually, given time to cool off people realise a lot of them aren't that great / different / the panacea to all the worlds ills....

Funnily enough if you had bought waves platinum or whatever 10 or so years ago you could probably still sell that for a bit of cash (I don't know whether you can with waves specifically but you get my drift)

Software depreciates quickly, you are better to think of it as a rental product than a real purchase, the hardware dependant stuff even more so--- plus, their plugs use more and more dsp so you need more cards etc...

However, as a balance - I do use my UAD's and they make good sounding stuff. But I reckon i could still make good music without them....
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave