L8 stabel now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: L8 stabel now?

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 am

Tone Deft wrote:that's a lot of words.

are you having fun with Live?

i lay in bed with a heavy cold.. live could be better..but its not unfunny except that i cant smoke..

with the program? no.. not really anymore.. all the issues any day...i would like it if it just would work..

but any day i run into a different problem.. one day want to sync.. = problem..
the other day i lay in bed and want to use the computer keyboard as mid keyboard = problem
another day i remix an old track and run into the BHD bug = problem
the next day i make a smart remote control patch for my normodular..and run in the midi remote feedback bug with the clock interaction = problem
next day i load some tracks from last year to do a new mix...dont finds its files.. needs hours to just decide for the best one.. day over without having started to mix.. but many files are reloadable again..
=PROBLEM

and this way its going for month now..
all asd files i my looplib are not read anymore. aso..

too much for my taste, ther was defently times with more fun using this software.. but maybe i am getting a bit too unpatience after having the same issues again and again since 8 years?
the excitement of the new possebilitys is defently not overcoloring the drawbacks anymore.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:30 am

a cold heh? that sucks. just gotta wait it out. good thing is that it's one of the few times in life where you HAVE TO be as big of a lazy slob as you can. no excuses for being completely unproductive and unfocused.

honestly, after maybe two weeks of that I would've gone to another DAW. I absolutely hate it when I feel like making music and I end up playing IT guy.

it's amazing going from a two core machine to a six core machine. sorry to say, but Live runs great. the computer even goes into and out of sleep and Live is fine. I get home at night, move the mouse to wake the machine up and within seconds I'm right back to where I was the night before.

I might even <gasp> finish another song. 8O
I know, I know it sounds crazy but it might happen.
maybe.
:oops:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 am

Tone Deft wrote:a cold heh? that sucks. just gotta wait it out. good thing is that it's one of the few times in life where you HAVE TO be as big of a lazy slob as you can. no excuses for being completely unproductive and unfocused.

honestly, after maybe two weeks of that I would've gone to another DAW. I absolutely hate it when I feel like making music and I end up playing IT guy.

it's amazing going from a two core machine to a six core machine. sorry to say, but Live runs great. the computer even goes into and out of sleep and Live is fine. I get home at night, move the mouse to wake the machine up and within seconds I'm right back to where I was the night before.

I might even <gasp> finish another song. 8O
I know, I know it sounds crazy but it might happen.
maybe.
:oops:

yep.. its online without a crash for 3 days now aswell.. thats pretty new..maybe i get back to music aswell.. just will installö another daw as master on a secondary compute and will install an old digital desk, a dmc1000 tomrow to handle all the mixing..

usually i am not into digital mixing but i wonder if this old beats got the vintage magic allready..
if so it should sound much better than anything i can do in the box.. will be interesting

to bad that ableton cant be the daw of choice because it cant deal with timecode :?

sorry man..as i say..whatever you try.. ther is a limitation that says the program is not good enough..
:evil:

is this really the state it should have after 8 years? hope they hurry with L9..cant rella live with the sync mess much longer and the midi thru mess sucks big times too..and the grouptrack mess....

with theese 3 fixed it could be actually good fun and operateable in all scenarios i need to work in

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:55 am

3phase wrote:is this really the state it should have after 8 years?
I think the Scrum Master speaks to this.

hire one guy that knows what all the groups are doing. each group scrums with him, he listens then reports how the other groups might affect their work. there's the m4L groups (Ableton and C74 people), Bridge, 3rd party controller support, Live 8 fixes, Live 9 devel and who knows what else.

it all speaks to Ableton maybe biting off too much at one time resulting in an embarrassing release.

I hope people beta test the shit out of Live 9. I do think that has helped with my good fortune.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 am

Tone Deft wrote:
3phase wrote:is this really the state it should have after 8 years?
I think the Scrum Master speaks to this.

hire one guy that knows what all the groups are doing. each group scrums with him, he listens then reports how the other groups might affect their work. there's the m4L groups (Ableton and C74 people), Bridge, 3rd party controller support, Live 8 fixes, Live 9 devel and who knows what else.

it all speaks to Ableton maybe biting off too much at one time resulting in an embarrassing release.

I hope people beta test the shit out of Live 9. I do think that has helped with my good fortune.
that all dont helps when the design philosophy is not wright and the importance of certain functionalitys is not weighted correctly..

the info passed in the sync thread had clearly shown that syncissues was´nt high on their agenda...but its a real workprohibitting problem there.. and also market share prohibitting..and the future trends ignoring.. again, there is a strong trend towards laptop equiped bands..
I am not haluzinating there.. i am living in a musicans scene since i am 15.. i see it happening. so it is happening. berlin is not outside the universe..trends visible here will be visible elsewhere aswell soon enough.. when they are not even stronger elsewhere allready..
defently something ableton could have been aware of.. but wasnt.

The situation i run in tomorow where the digital desk cant really run together with ableton live is just a good example.. a standard postpro style equipment together with ableton live,

however. in this case there is a workaround.. i use an acoustical timecode and spare one of my audio channels to get the desks automation synced...
thanks god theese old pro equipment is allways able to read acoustical timecodes..
:wink:

actually i ve to admit i only agreed to the experiment because of the looks of that thing..
i am really more into analog consoles.. but a litle while with real total recal and mix automation..
can be fun to get the eyes from the ableton screen again...
And i remember from the 90´s that i actually liked the filters of theese monster...much more than the ones from the 02R that appeard later.

Last edited by 3phase on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 am

Tone Deft wrote:that's a lot of words.
:lol:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

I'd like Ableton to do what Apple did with Snow Leopard: Snow Leopard was an improvement of Leopard: rather than a slew of new features, it was a stabilization & streamlining of Leopard. Very good move.

I would choose stability over features any day. Quality over quantity. What good are features if you can't use them? Why put icing on a burnt cake?

theoriva

Post by theoriva » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 pm

what's a stabel???

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 pm

oblique strategies wrote:I'd like Ableton to do what Apple did with Snow Leopard: Snow Leopard was an improvement of Leopard: rather than a slew of new features, it was a stabilization & streamlining of Leopard. Very good move.

I would choose stability over features any day. Quality over quantity. What good are features if you can't use them? Why put icing on a burnt cake?
and then sell it to the customers. imagine the outroar on this forum, if they would "fix live and ask you to pay for it". hahaha. it would be awesome. i guess the forum would implode and explode sumultaneously.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Good point. But wouldn't you prefer to read that Live 9 was rock-solid, & had been TESTED like mad, etc., rather than a list of (questionably functioning) new features? Based on the debacle of Live 8, that "feature" would be worth currency.

They could also sell it for less, just like Apple did.

I sincerely would like Ableton to honor their commitment to get Live 8 fixed BEFORE working on Live 9. In lieu of an update from Ableton themselves, I can only hope that they are.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 pm

oblique strategies wrote:Good point. But wouldn't you prefer to read that Live 9 was rock-solid, & had been TESTED like mad, etc., rather than a list of (questionably functioning) new features? Based on the debacle of Live 8, that "feature" would be worth currency.

I sincerely would like Ableton to honor their commitment to get Live 8 fixed BEFORE working on Live 9. In lieu of an update from Ableton themselves, I can only hope that they are.
see it realisticly.. to surrive they have to work on L9 allready. I just hope they also focus on the quality of the program..ad as said so often ..quality is in the details.

good worked out details and basic core functionalitys can rise stability in the sense to offer more workarounds for potential stability problems.. as long live acts as the clockmaster for example its not allowed to crash.. when the clockmster is a little drummachine you can cover any loading gap without loosing face..

lets say like that.. after l8 users are more after stability than ever.. so one gets carefull with big changes on the developer side..
on the other hand people like to have a positive user experiance again.. question.. is the fancy new toy causing that user experiance..or are lots of little smart workflow improovements in one package creating such a user experiance?

In the short run its of cause the christmas tree parcel with lots of cool things to try out..
on the longer run its the.. aha..thats working now much better, wow :!: factor that is getting the mood up.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 am

3phase wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:Good point. But wouldn't you prefer to read that Live 9 was rock-solid, & had been TESTED like mad, etc., rather than a list of (questionably functioning) new features? Based on the debacle of Live 8, that "feature" would be worth currency.

see it realisticly.. to surrive they have to work on L9 allready. I just hope they also focus on the quality of the program..ad as said so often ..quality is in the details.
I'm just going by what Ableton said. Until they announce that they are re-allocating resources to Live 9, one can only assume that they are working exclusively on Live 8 -as they said they were, & which I hope they are! :wink:

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:54 am

It's been a long time since I had a crash with ableton live...

Actually, it crashed when I use Jackosx and turn of my audio soundcard... but then everything crash : Live, maschine, itunes, etc....

So yea for me Live 8 is stabel ( :) ) now

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:28 pm

^ yeah 8.2.1 has been kickin ass on my machines too.

this is a new thing. the lame crashes and hung apps are becoming a thing of the past... just like my guitar player and the control freak chick that I let record with us...

life is good... and getting better. 8)

now pass me my funkin mic!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote:are you having fun with Live?
oh, yes! having lots of fun with it (even though working on PC/laptop platform).
Made some decent drum-recordings (9 channels @once) with my drummer this week and live was ROCK stable (forgive me the pun, please ;-)).

it's time for some enhancements now (enhancements != features). automation curves and a "floating"/undockable mixing console would be nice...
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985