Retrieving plugin preset name from .als file?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gnapier

Retrieving plugin preset name from .als file?

Post by gnapier » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi.

I'm going back and re-mixing old compositions. Some of them use versions of plugins I no longer have on the system (but I have the newer versions). When I open the song file, it tells me the plug-in is missing and that particular slot comes up with the midi info (good), but no plugin inserted (bad).

My problem is this: I can insert the new version of the plug-in (in this case inserting absynth 5 to replace the instance of absynth 3 used originally), but how can I retrieve the name of the preset in absynth 3 that I used previously? The thought of trolling through thousands of presets for the one that I used is daunting. I can dial-in the changes I made to the preset (if it wasn't one of mine to begin with); it's the finding it that is the trick.

I tried opening the .als file in the text editor to scan for the name, but there is much in there that is "greek" and I am not sure if this is the info I need or, if it is, how to translate it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Want to collaborate? Send me a track at SoundCloud
Checkout my production blog at subnoto::indico

8 core 3ghz | 9 GB RAM | OS 10.5.8 | DP 6.01 JS MOD 1.12 | Logic 9 | Live 8.0.5 | MOTU 2408 mk2 | MidiExpress 128 | Too Many Plug-ins

mothergarage

Re: Retrieving plugin preset name from .als file?

Post by mothergarage » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm

i guess the only way is to reinstall absynth 3.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:32 pm

I have come across this issue several times and as recently as last weekend. I usually have to create it again, or find one that is close to the original concept. Most times I like the new sound better, but I am mostly posting to bump and to learn a solution if/when you do.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 pm

I keep a very battered 800MHz G4 powerbook around for OS9 archive compatibility. Wouldn't get diddly-shit for selling it, so might as well keep it.

Also, ridiculous things like old iTunes visualizer plugins that I film off the screen with a video camera and use as fodder for making live visuals.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud