Maschine or Komplete 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
continuous

Re: Maschine or Komplete 7?

Post by continuous » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Ah... just get em both and be done with it.

:twisted:

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Get Maschine first. It's the foundation of my setup. And the best multi-purpose MIDI controller I've ever owned. Maschine and your Axiom 49 will be all you'll really need to get things done.

OCDaveWilcox

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

humnumb wrote: Seeing as though you've only been at this game for 8 months, you should probably keep your mouth shut about calling things like Maschine a "one trick pony" or suggesting whether it should be on someone's list. It's much more versatile than you can comprehend at this point.
LOL. No thanks. I think I'll keep posting whatever I feel like based on my personal experiences with the gear itself.

In regards to Maschine vs Komplete, it is totally a one trick pony in comparison to the full suite that is Komplete. Jeez man was that so hard to understand?

Do you always get this defensive about your gear? :mrgreen:

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 pm

So, I went and bought Komplete 7! Can't wait to get outta work :).
Thanks for your suggestions. Maschine is still next on the list, I'll see if I can try it out first, but i've got my mind set on buying it after watching the ni videos and hearing so many good things about it. I'm having a hard time creating drum loops I'm happy with, and feel maschine will def.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

OCDaveWilcox

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 pm

v0ins315 wrote:So, I went and bought Komplete 7! Can't wait to get outta work :).
Thanks for your suggestions. Maschine is still next on the list, I'll see if I can try it out first, but i've got my mind set on buying it after watching the ni videos and hearing so many good things about it. I'm having a hard time creating drum loops I'm happy with, and feel maschine will def.
Congrats and enjoy! 8)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 pm

esky wrote:You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Not if you don't like to keep clicking around with a mouse and having to stare at a computer screen the whole time you're trying to get in the flow. Maschine is all about the workflow that you normally only find on hardware. It has the same fun, efficient way of working as hardware drum machine/samplers like the MPC/Electribe/Machinedrum but without any of the annoying limitations of hardware. You can do pretty much everything from the controller like browsing and loading samples, sampling, slicing, automating effects...etc The immediacy it allows is important if you want to not get distracted and risk losing your moment of inspiration from having to click around menus with a mouse to find the right sounds and settings.

phil909

Post by phil909 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 pm

komplete 7 is without doubt an great set of instruments & effects, however i can't help feel that the OP would have been better getting maschine first.

personally, i think the huge range of possibilities in K7 can work against you. you don't spend enough time learning any one thing well, there's always the chance you just end up tinkering around a lot and going nowhere fast.

sometimes it's better to have less choice and learn how to use what you've got inside out.
maschine isn't about endless sonic possibilities, nor is just about beat creation - it's about a simple, fast, tactile workflow.

i think for minimal techno, maschine is perfect with ableton - the two are similar in many ways.

i saw this video on another site - it's a good example of some minimal/tech improvisation using maschine.

http://vimeo.com/12143973

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Get ONE good synth and master it.

Invest more in effects than in sound sources.

Sample and resample.

I'm tempted to say go with Reaktor, but its very complicated, unless you're using pre-made ensembles. Or just stick with what you got until you can't learn anymore from it and save your cash for hardware.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 pm

abluesky wrote:Get ONE good synth and master it.

Invest more in effects than in sound sources.

Sample and resample.

I'm tempted to say go with Reaktor, but its very complicated, unless you're using pre-made ensembles. Or just stick with what you got until you can't learn anymore from it and save your cash for hardware.
Good advice... alot of my favorite performers use one small synth to rock a whole show. Something like a microkorg. I often wish I would've went this route...

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 am

delicioso wrote:
esky wrote:You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Not if you don't like to keep clicking around with a mouse and having to stare at a computer screen the whole time you're trying to get in the flow. Maschine is all about the workflow that you normally only find on hardware. It has the same fun, efficient way of working as hardware drum machine/samplers like the MPC/Electribe/Machinedrum but without any of the annoying limitations of hardware. You can do pretty much everything from the controller like browsing and loading samples, sampling, slicing, automating effects...etc The immediacy it allows is important if you want to not get distracted and risk losing your moment of inspiration from having to click around menus with a mouse to find the right sounds and settings.
I think u explained my point better than I could

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 pm

phil909 wrote:komplete 7 is without doubt an great set of instruments & effects, however i can't help feel that the OP would have been better getting maschine first.

personally, i think the huge range of possibilities in K7 can work against you. you don't spend enough time learning any one thing well, there's always the chance you just end up tinkering around a lot and going nowhere fast.

sometimes it's better to have less choice and learn how to use what you've got inside out.
maschine isn't about endless sonic possibilities, nor is just about beat creation - it's about a simple, fast, tactile workflow.

i think for minimal techno, maschine is perfect with ableton - the two are similar in many ways.

i saw this video on another site - it's a good example of some minimal/tech improvisation using maschine.

http://vimeo.com/12143973
Thanks, I'll check it out after work.

I was excited to use K7 last night, but the install took several hours, and I just went to bed. It basically came down to money anyway...I couldn't afford Maschine yesterday. I have plenty to keep me busy now!
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:56 pm

esky wrote:I had Maschine to check out at home, after 2 hours i decided to give it back. You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Ah- not quite. Maschine has the best pads of any controller/drum machine/groovebox I've ever tried by a long shot. And, that's only the tip of the iceberg...

Your Maschine forum moderator,
ew

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm

ewistrand wrote:
esky wrote:I had Maschine to check out at home, after 2 hours i decided to give it back. You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Ah- not quite. Maschine has the best pads of any controller/drum machine/groovebox I've ever tried by a long shot. And, that's only the tip of the iceberg...

Your Maschine forum moderator,
ew
Also I don't think you can wrap your head around what Maschine is good for in 2 hours or you're looking at it the wrong way. I think a lot of Maschine diehards also come from MPC backgrounds which aren't exactly straight forward machines if all you know is DAWs, but if you have a MPC background you'll have a better appreciation of what Maschine does.

Having said that, I just discovered the Urban Beat libraries in Kontakt and there's a lot of really great shit in there.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Komplete 7 seems to be the best choice for you. Reaktor and all other Synths are really great, Machine seems ok if you dont own a DAW like Live. ;)

peace&sun
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:37 pm

wehkah wrote:Reaktor and all other Synths are really great, Machine seems ok if you dont own a DAW like Live.
Having a DAW does not compare to having Maschine. You just can't compare it to software-only tools because the whole point of Maschine is the hardware workflow.