Maschine or Komplete 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v0ins315

Maschine or Komplete 7?

Post by v0ins315 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm eventually going to get both, but I don't know what I want first.

Setup: MBP 2.6, 4GB. Apogee Duet. Mackie MR5s. Axiom 49. APC40. Ableton 8 suite.

I'm producing techno/minimal.

Please help me make a decision :oops:

Thanks! :)
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

OCDaveWilcox

Re: Maschine or Komplete 7?

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Komplete. Maschine is a one trick pony. I'm not sure it should even be on your list. Make sure you try it first personally.
Last edited by OCDaveWilcox on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Can you get out to any music stores to demo it?

Native Instruments had a demo of it at IMSTA event in NYC and it was pretty nice. I personally wouldn't pick it over Komplete (I'm on K6) but sometimes less content means more productivity.

From Komplete, I mostly make use of Reaktor, Massive, Kontakt and Absynth... I think it'd be better to get Komplete first for me at least.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 pm

OCDaveWilcox wrote:Komplete. Maschine is a one trick pony. I'm not sure it should even be on your list. Make sure you try it first personally.
It's a little bit more than a one trick pony! At the very least it's a drum machine/sampler and a multifx unit. What is this one trick you speak of? ;)

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:46 am

if u make techno ,

i would then buy :

operator, zebra 2.5 , microtonic and not much more for soundmaking.

necho

Post by necho » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:if u make techno ,

i would then buy :

operator, zebra 2.5 , microtonic and not much more for soundmaking.
Yep! Although I prefer Zebra to Microtonic when it comes to drums. Unless you want the Microtonic step sequencer.

Maschine is a LOT of fun... but it ain't that cheap...
_________
sigs suck.

esky

Post by esky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm

I had Maschine to check out at home, after 2 hours i decided to give it back. You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 pm

esky wrote:I had Maschine to check out at home, after 2 hours i decided to give it back. You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Programming a maschine set and programming drum racks with your own samples on a set of 8 pads is going to be a big difference.. maybe not in the outcome, or quality of music - but as far as work flow goes, the maschine work flow is a lot better than dragging wav's onto all the cells and setting attack, decay, release, velocity, etc, etc on every one.. just my .02

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm

i love komplete.

Not gonna lie though, machines features for beat making are pretty sexy.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

esky

Post by esky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:34 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
esky wrote:I had Maschine to check out at home, after 2 hours i decided to give it back. You have DrumRacks, good pads on your Axiom, get some good drumsamples and you don't need Maschine.
Programming a maschine set and programming drum racks with your own samples on a set of 8 pads is going to be a big difference.. maybe not in the outcome, or quality of music - but as far as work flow goes, the maschine work flow is a lot better than dragging wav's onto all the cells and setting attack, decay, release, velocity, etc, etc on every one.. just my .02
Maybe, but isn't that just a matter of organizing samples, preparing racks, setting the right defaults, copying paramters to other slots, etc...?
Just my 0,2c...

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

esky wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:
Maybe, but isn't that just a matter of organizing samples, preparing racks, setting the right defaults, copying paramters to other slots, etc...?
Just my 0,2c...
Yeah, you're totally right.. to some people all that organization and preparation is worth paying for something like maschine to basically "do it for you" - main point it's more hands on tinkering with the actual controller rather than tinkering with a mouse etc. IF that's what you're looking for, anyways.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:58 pm

OCDaveWilcox wrote:Komplete. Maschine is a one trick pony. I'm not sure it should even be on your list. Make sure you try it first personally.
Pay no attention to this. It's just another sour MPC fanboy jumping on the Maschine hate bandwagon:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ost5879405

OCDaveWilcox

Post by OCDaveWilcox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:06 pm

humnumb wrote:
Pay no attention to this. It's just another sour MPC fanboy jumping on the Maschine hate bandwagon:
LOL I've never even touched a MPC. I could care less how it compares to a MPC. I just had the same experience as the above poster who bought it, tried it out, hated it, got rid of it. It's not a bandwagon its the truth.

There seem to be a lot of NI plants on the forums who spend their days attacking any one who talks bad about Maschine. I just suggest the OP try before he buy and most def get Komplete 7 first based on his needs. It's fine with me though, it just brings awareness.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Maschine first.
Hardware like control is very underrated on this forum and online in general IMO.
It forces the user to write drum parts by its very presence.
I own Komplete and Kore, wouldn't want one without the other really.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:57 pm

OCDaveWilcox wrote:
humnumb wrote:
LOL I've never even touched a MPC. I could care less how it compares to a MPC. I just had the same experience as the above poster who bought it, tried it out, hated it, got rid of it. It's not a bandwagon its the truth.
Seeing as though you've only been at this game for 8 months, you should probably keep your mouth shut about calling things like Maschine a "one trick pony" or suggesting whether it should be on someone's list. It's much more versatile than you can comprehend at this point.
Last edited by humnumb on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.