Have any of you built a Monome / Arduinome?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wascal

Have any of you built a Monome / Arduinome?

Post by wascal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 pm

And if so, how did you find the experience? Was it relatively simple or is it not worth the hassle? I'm thinking of putting together a 256 one but I'm no electronics expert.
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

pepezabala

Re: Have any of you built a Monome / Arduinome?

Post by pepezabala » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 pm

I have not, but forum member Mudo is building RGB Arduinomes.

They are incredible, they can display any colour you want!

If you have the tools and the time, it's definetly worth the hassle. If not, get a launchpad (that's what I did ...)

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Did a 64, from kits. There is no electronic things to know. You just need to know how to solder.
The most complicated part is to build a nice box.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:43 pm

I built a 64 button arduinome last year.
Sourcing everything needed to do the build was actually the most difficult bit and took the most time. Assembly took ~4 hours, if you can read a circuit layout and use a soldering iron it's really very straight forward. I don't know if it's still the case but when I built mine, a 256 button arduinome was 4x64 button units in a common enclosure/faceplate, so that means you would need 4 arduino's, 4 shields, 4 x the button matrices, buttons, led's and components and a powered usb hub, so cost wise it's much bigger project.

My 64 cost ~ £130 to build, including an aluminium faceplate (from a group buy) and a hand made oak enclosure (from a local picture framer).

The arduinome section on the Monome forum is a fantastic resource, plenty of group buys going on and lots of advice if you need it. They do like you to have done some research before asking though, as any questions have most likely already been answered.

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:40 pm

i havent, but have researched it myself, seems pretty simple, meassure twice cut once, take your time hardest thing is sourcing all the components deffinetly, but a cheaper/quicker was then ordering from monome
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle