Recycle and Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
deepdirtydub

Recycle and Live

Post by deepdirtydub » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:16 pm

Is it possible to take the midi timing from a loop in Recycle and export it into Live and make various other midi or sound files groove like the original loop?? Is anybody doing anything like this? any help would be great.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:06 pm

Interesting idea. I haven't used recycle in so long I could not honestly tell you.

Why don't you try it?

I'll probably give it a shot when I get home from work.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:26 pm

The way it works in Reason: Recycled Drum Groove is exproted from Recycle as a MIDI file. Midi file is loaded into Reason as a groove (I'm not sure how). All MIDI in reason is then quantised to the new Groove.

Live has no such function, but you COULD Quantise all MIDI in Reason, export as MIDI, import into Live and use THAT as your programming/MIDI triggering... not very fast tho...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:57 pm

hmm i'd try it but i dont have recycle or anything like it.

im trying to find out if its worth the extra 100 dollars over something like Beat Creator as they sound very similar.

I just checked out the propellerheads site again. It seems Recycle ships with a "toolkit" consisting of Reason Adapted it has 3 rex loop players the sequencer and a few other modules. Does anybody know if i can use one rex loop and its midi groove timing to get ALL of my midi sequences set to that same groove??

pax

Post by pax » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:22 pm

You might think of something like Phatmatik... since it works as a VST host better than Recycle.

hartsta

Re-cycle

Post by hartsta » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:14 pm

Since I purchaced my copy of ableton 4, I havent even opened re-cycle once. Re-cycle converts into rex files, Who needs rex files when you've got Ableton!!!!
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.4Ghz OS 10.7.1 4GB RAM Live 8 (8.2.5), Logic Studio & the dark side of the force.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:34 am

yeah, you should have no problems, recycle will export standard midi files which live should open up just fine, not you can select each note within the midi clip and use the up and down arrows to transpost that note to what ever sound you'd like it to play without moving any of the notes off the groove.

deepdirtydub

its all about the feel

Post by deepdirtydub » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:34 am

i feel as though when using ableton im missing the swing feel of my hardware drum machine (where i can control the swing settings per part and such) my main concern is being able to keep that feel while producing in live.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:09 am

deepdirtydub wrote:hmm i'd try it but i dont have recycle or anything like it.

im trying to find out if its worth the extra 100 dollars over something like Beat Creator as they sound very similar.

I just checked out the propellerheads site again. It seems Recycle ships with a "toolkit" consisting of Reason Adapted it has 3 rex loop players the sequencer and a few other modules. Does anybody know if i can use one rex loop and its midi groove timing to get ALL of my midi sequences set to that same groove??
I have a fully liscensed copy of recycle. I have not launched it for atleast 6 months and have not really spent any time with it for close to a year.

I will sell it to you for $65.00 U.S. If you are interested pm me and we can talk about the details, liscense tansfer etc.

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:25 am

what i'd like to do is beatbox something and record it .. then take the timing from that beatbox and use it as a template for the midi timing of everything else or instead of beatboxing mpd padding something realtime and doing the same. am i nuts? im assuming that playing something on the pads and recording the midi hits for it is sort of limited as far as getting a good feel.

montrealbreaks

Re: Recycle and Live

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:55 pm

deepdirtydub wrote:Is it possible to take the midi timing from a loop in Recycle and export it into Live and make various other midi or sound files groove like the original loop?? Is anybody doing anything like this? any help would be great.
That is a brilliant idea - I have done the same thing with Cubase, but I forgot about it... There's no reason why you can't do the same with Ableton Live 4.0x

I'm all over this one now!

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:49 pm

so im not nuts??? how are you going to go about using the midi files in ableton?? do you have to take every loop through recycle and alter its midi first?? god i wish i had the software to try this ish out.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:07 am

deepdirtydub wrote:so im not nuts??? how are you going to go about using the midi files in ableton?? do you have to take every loop through recycle and alter its midi first?? god i wish i had the software to try this ish out.
Take the fat drum sample you got from your source, and Recycle it - turning it into a .rex file.

Then, in Recycle, "export midi file" (or similar command - maybe save as midi or something).

Close Recycle and open Live (version 4.0x or later).

In Live, create a midi track. Drop an instrument in it for your drums - a sampler like Battery, or perhaps the Impulse.

The midi file will go sequentially, from C1 (or whatever) to C#1, to D1, to D#1, to E1, to F1, and so on. If there's 20 slices in the .rx2 file, there'll be 20 midi notes appearing in your piano roll editor in Live.

Click on a midi note in your piano roll. DON'T drag it, it will quantize, and that will kill your groove. Just click it. Then, you should be able to use the up and down arrows to move it to the Impulse or Battery note you want. Repeat for the next 19 (or however many) notes as required.

Launch your clip and enjoy the beat, with original groove intact, with totally new sounds.

L8er
M. Bréques

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

mpc2323

Post by mpc2323 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:48 am

deepdirtydub wrote:hmm i'd try it but i dont have recycle or anything like it.

you can download phatmatik, its free!!!

mpc2323

Post by mpc2323 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:49 am

montrealbreaks wrote:
deepdirtydub wrote:so im not nuts??? how are you going to go about using the midi files in ableton?? do you have to take every loop through recycle and alter its midi first?? god i wish i had the software to try this ish out.
Take the fat drum sample you got from your source, and Recycle it - turning it into a .rex file.

Then, in Recycle, "export midi file" (or similar command - maybe save as midi or something).

Close Recycle and open Live (version 4.0x or later).

In Live, create a midi track. Drop an instrument in it for your drums - a sampler like Battery, or perhaps the Impulse.

The midi file will go sequentially, from C1 (or whatever) to C#1, to D1, to D#1, to E1, to F1, and so on. If there's 20 slices in the .rx2 file, there'll be 20 midi notes appearing in your piano roll editor in Live.

Click on a midi note in your piano roll. DON'T drag it, it will quantize, and that will kill your groove. Just click it. Then, you should be able to use the up and down arrows to move it to the Impulse or Battery note you want. Repeat for the next 19 (or however many) notes as required.

Launch your clip and enjoy the beat, with original groove intact, with totally new sounds.

L8er
M. Bréques

PHATMATIK