Controlling Chain Device Levels and parameters with APC40?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
taoyoyo

Controlling Chain Device Levels and parameters with APC40?

Post by taoyoyo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:55 am

I'm playing around with device racks and chains and have noticed that it doesn't seem possible to select individual devices within a chain using controllers like the APC-40 or Frontier's Alphatrack to adjust levels, pans etc like you would on a normal mixer track... has anyone found a way around this or is it something 'we' should be lobbying Ableton about sorting out?
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

JuanSOLO

Re: Controlling Chain Device Levels and parameters with APC40?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Not sure if I understand your question so I am just guessing at solutions.

Device Left - Right arrows on the APC40 to navigate to the device in the chain maybe?

Sure shot way is to "key map" or "midi map" directly to the title bar of the device you want the "Device Control" to focus on.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm

What do you mean when you say a chain??

The 8 macros of a rack are accessable? You can press shift and buttons 1 - 8 to select different parameters on the same device but i don't know if this will take you into a rack??

Cheers
D

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Let me try and clarify what I mean... :)

You have a drum rack (or an instrument rack), with the individual drums (via simpler say) within... each simpler has a mini mixer section (with fader and pan and sends) within the rack that can be opened in th mixer section along with Group, midi and audio tracks.

If you take the same concept with a Group Track you can open the group, navigate to the track you want to edit via the APC and say turn the level down or a send up/

With a Rack, it appears that you can only do this with keyboard or mouse. The APC won't open up the individual tracks of the rack and even if they are already open it will ignore the mixer tracks inside the rack and move to the next 'normal' track.

flippo

Post by flippo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm

I know what you mean. If you have a group of tracks that are folded together you can hold the track selection button and they will unfold, allowing you to access the tracks with your APC for solo/arm/volume/pan/send etc, but you can't do the same for things that are grouped because they are in instrument/drum racks. Not sure why :(

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 pm

flippo wrote:I know what you mean. If you have a group of tracks that are folded together you can hold the track selection button and they will unfold, allowing you to access the tracks with your APC for solo/arm/volume/pan/send etc, but you can't do the same for things that are grouped because they are in instrument/drum racks. Not sure why :(
Thanks Flippo... that's exactly what I mean. Would be great if it would work as one would expect.