How to get the best sound quality out of Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Orbit-50

Re: How to get the best sound quality out of Live

Post by Orbit-50 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 am

john gordon wrote:me??! i dont make music,i just come here to piss people off,for some reason they wont ban me.
:lol:
I gotta say, I love you for that reason. Every forum needs a John Gordon. You're a funny guy. Also you've been here for millions of years. There must be some obscure Ableton Forum policy that protects you as some kind of endagered species or something like that. Or, they could have you pegged as some mafia crime boss who uses Ableton Live, and are too damned scared of what will happen to them if they attempt to ban you. Whatever the case it's great to see you alive and well still pissing people off. Keep up the good work!

./-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for this, very helpful

Quick Question: The option you changed in preferences to high quality - Can I change this just before rendering to keep my cpu down during production or does it need to be enabled at all times to get the benefits?

thanks

DJVespers

Post by DJVespers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Gtrance wrote:Thanks for this, very helpful

Quick Question: The option you changed in preferences to high quality - Can I change this just before rendering to keep my cpu down during production or does it need to be enabled at all times to get the benefits?

thanks
That preference only changes to Hi Q for new clips, it won't convert clips already in the set. You'd need to multi-select them and change them before you render. Also, make sure your clips are in Complex warp mode (or Complex pro if you're transposing). I always leave my default to that as I find a lot of artifacts in Beat mode.
Download my free Ableton e-book: http://vespers.ca/free/

Ableton Live Certified Trainer Vancouver, BC, Canada

http://www.youtube.com/djvespers
http://www.soundcloud.com/vespers

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Orbit-50 wrote:
john gordon wrote:me??! i dont make music,i just come here to piss people off,for some reason they wont ban me.
:lol:
I gotta say, I love you for that reason. Every forum needs a John Gordon. You're a funny guy. Also you've been here for millions of years. There must be some obscure Ableton Forum policy that protects you as some kind of endagered species or something like that. Or, they could have you pegged as some mafia crime boss who uses Ableton Live, and are too damned scared of what will happen to them if they attempt to ban you. Whatever the case it's great to see you alive and well still pissing people off. Keep up the good work!

./-.
kissin ass doesn't make you protected from the flaming, jus' sayin..

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:54 pm

DJVespers wrote:

thanks
That preference only changes to Hi Q for new clips, it won't convert clips already in the set. You'd need to multi-select them and change them before you render. Also, make sure your clips are in Complex warp mode (or Complex pro if you're transposing). I always leave my default to that as I find a lot of artifacts in Beat mode.
Okay, just to make sure I understand. I can leave the preferences option in the lower quality right up until I'm about to render my track, at which point in arrange view I can select all the audio clips and then switch to the higher quality?

My comp struggles as it is so anything i can do to save cpu during production is very helpful. Of course I want the finished result to be as good as possible.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

outershpongolia wrote:kissin ass doesn't make you protected from the flaming, jus' sayin..
Uhm, hello. No kissing ass here. That's maybe what your average weasel would do. You see, I'm being what's called "genuine". I could give two craps about protection from getting flamed. Why would I need that? I'm just calling it as I see it. Carry on! :)

./-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Not to stick up for anybody around here, just to say I've gotten a lot out of Vespers tutorials. Many months ago I watched a series on glitching audio using quick keys, cutting and pasting a piano line w/ separate/duplicate etc. It made use of different warp modes & settings on some of the newly created clips/snippets, transposing and reversing some of them and so on. I often use these techniques on recorded guitar parts. Admittedly these are common techniques but the videos were so well done that I was able to incorporate things into my workflow that I'd wanted to utilize for a long time.

It's cool how you can use audio editing to just bend the mirror a bit, changing things slightly to alter your perception of the original material, or use the edits as a starting point for further processing until you end up with something very different from where you started.

If people want to share knowledge and build community that's all to the good. Some folks try to supplement their income thru donations but nobody's trying to get rich off newbies. People doing online tutorials is common practice but I think the reason some of the Ableton oriented ones are interesting is that it's a creative program with a creative userbase. It's fun to watch something that gets you writing & mangling.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 pm

DJVespers wrote:Free HD video tutorial on how to get the best possible sound quality from Live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cqYeiOpP8
OK, this is going to sound like I'm being snitty...but I don't mean to. I just don't see why a 7+ min video is neccessary to explain something that can be said in one sentence: 'Live has a High Quality setting both at the global & plugin level so turn this on and also choose a higher bit depth and sample rate to achieve the best possible sound quality'.
Also, as has been pointed out, choosing the correct warping mode is at least as important in maintaining high quality audio in Live.

But it's a free vid, some have found it useful & you seem to know what you're on about. So, fair play. Plus, it's a nice advert for all your other stuff. Oh, wait... :P

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Orbit-50 wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:kissin ass doesn't make you protected from the flaming, jus' sayin..
Uhm, hello. No kissing ass here. That's maybe what your average weasel would do. You see, I'm being what's called "genuine". I could give two craps about protection from getting flamed. Why would I need that? I'm just calling it as I see it. Carry on! :)

./-.
touche

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Good stuff DJVespers.

DJVespers

Post by DJVespers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Gtrance wrote:
DJVespers wrote:

thanks
Okay, just to make sure I understand. I can leave the preferences option in the lower quality right up until I'm about to render my track, at which point in arrange view I can select all the audio clips and then switch to the higher quality?

My comp struggles as it is so anything i can do to save cpu during production is very helpful. Of course I want the finished result to be as good as possible.
Correct. However, keep in mind that Hi-Q mode is only necessary when transposing the sample and converting it's sample rate to the project sample rate if they're different. If you're playing a 44.1 sample in a 44.1 project at 0 transpose, it's unnecessary.

DJVespers

Post by DJVespers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm

evernaut wrote:
DJVespers wrote:Free HD video tutorial on how to get the best possible sound quality from Live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cqYeiOpP8
OK, this is going to sound like I'm being snitty...but I don't mean to. I just don't see why a 7+ min video is neccessary to explain something that can be said in one sentence: 'Live has a High Quality setting both at the global & plugin level so turn this on and also choose a higher bit depth and sample rate to achieve the best possible sound quality'.
Also, as has been pointed out, choosing the correct warping mode is at least as important in maintaining high quality audio in Live.

But it's a free vid, some have found it useful & you seem to know what you're on about. So, fair play. Plus, it's a nice advert for all your other stuff. Oh, wait... :P
Not all plugins have it mate. And for some it's a menu on the GUI (like Sampler) and others you need to right click (like EQ Eight). Also, saving the high quality as a default preset is important in the studio. These things are worthy of explaining. As to whether a 7 minute video is necessary, keep in mind many new users are not as familiar with the program as you, so have patience.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm

DJVespers wrote: As to whether a 7 minute video is necessary, keep in mind many new users are not as familiar with the program as you, so have patience.
You're right. I am familiar with Live & it is easy to forget how much you take for granted. Particularly if you have only been using Live as a performance rather than studio tool.

But tweaking everything to be high quality by default was about the very first thing I did the first time I loaded it up, long before I read the manual or looked at tutes. Seemed pretty obvious.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:34 pm

evernaut wrote:
DJVespers wrote: As to whether a 7 minute video is necessary, keep in mind many new users are not as familiar with the program as you, so have patience.
You're right. I am familiar with Live & it is easy to forget how much you take for granted. Particularly if you have only been using Live as a performance rather than studio tool.

But tweaking everything to be high quality by default was about the very first thing I did the first time I loaded it up, long before I read the manual or looked at tutes. Seemed pretty obvious.

but that dont changes the fact that the video gives sound destructiv advice.. and that the hi Q fx settings are really subliminal improovements.. only usfull info thats not obvious is that one can safe default presets.. what is in other areas usefull aswell.. slicing defaults for example..

so it actually really missed the poit of sound quality improovement..
even talking bullshit regarding the mastering..

and served with a glossy quality.. so people are probably goig for the bad advice and render everything in 48 k..

so i would say this video should be reedited to become usefull..

just because its free there is still a responsebility for the truth.. especially when its elsewise well done its a pretty unecessary flaw..

just add some more info about using higher samplerates..

theese indeed rise the quality of abletons plugs a lot.. especially the compressor is blooming up..

as said correctly in the video ..abletons fx try to minimize cpu load..so ther is no double rate operation like i wave plug ins..when you want them to operate on double rate you need t double the samplerate..

what rises in general the soundquality exept the cases where we work with transparent audio.. so dont like to have any samplerate conversion involved.. i this cases we need to do the whole session on double samplerate to achive maximum quality..

ableton live is the program that has the biggest soundquality benefit on doubke samplerates of them all..

all warpings and the SR itself sound better.. and the plugs sound better..

so you defently missed on the most important tip to rise soundquality when working with live..

what prooves that the certified rainers stamp dont says that the people that have it need to kow much about audio production in general
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Destro

Post by Destro » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm

3phase wrote:
evernaut wrote:

but that dont changes the fact that the video gives sound destructiv advice.. and that the hi Q fx settings are really subliminal improovements.. only usfull info thats not obvious is that one can safe default presets.. what is in other areas usefull aswell.. slicing defaults for example..

so it actually really missed the poit of sound quality improovement..
even talking bullshit regarding the mastering..

and served with a glossy quality.. so people are probably goig for the bad advice and render everything in 48 k..

so i would say this video should be reedited to become usefull..

just because its free there is still a responsebility for the truth.. especially when its elsewise well done its a pretty unecessary flaw..

just add some more info about using higher samplerates..

theese indeed rise the quality of abletons plugs a lot.. especially the compressor is blooming up..

as said correctly in the video ..abletons fx try to minimize cpu load..so ther is no double rate operation like i wave plug ins..when you want them to operate on double rate you need t double the samplerate..

what rises in general the soundquality exept the cases where we work with transparent audio.. so dont like to have any samplerate conversion involved.. i this cases we need to do the whole session on double samplerate to achive maximum quality..

ableton live is the program that has the biggest soundquality benefit on doubke samplerates of them all..

all warpings and the SR itself sound better.. and the plugs sound better..

so you defently missed on the most important tip to rise soundquality when working with live..

what prooves that the certified rainers stamp dont says that the people that have it need to kow much about audio production in general
Hmmm, you sound a lot like Subfunk.