Ableton Live as a Multitrack Recorder

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
proaudiocebu

Ableton Live as a Multitrack Recorder

Post by proaudiocebu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

using an RME Madiface, can I use an Ableton LIVE for multi-track recording? I am hoping to use it for a 48-68 track recording of a live gig festival.

Has anyone done this? is ABLETON stable?

3phase

Re: Ableton Live as a Multitrack Recorder

Post by 3phase » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 pm

when its a pro job better use pro software..

be also aware that the max fileszises on 64 track recordings are maybe to limited on a 32 bit software like live...
and..you shouldnt do that many tracks anyway...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 pm

proaudiocebu wrote:using an RME Madiface, can I use an Ableton LIVE for multi-track recording? I am hoping to use it for a 48-68 track recording of a live gig festival.

You may want to search around for the "recording delay" issue that Live STILL has. But basically, if you want to do any audio or MIDI recording, and you want those recordings to be in time with the rest of your song, you have to make sure the monitoring for each track is set to OFF, and NOT set to IN or AUTO. I suggest using Totalmix on your RME to setup zero-latency monitoring if you need it.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

Jamalot

Post by Jamalot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:50 am

proaudiocebu wrote:using an RME Madiface, can I use an Ableton LIVE for multi-track recording? I am hoping to use it for a 48-68 track recording of a live gig festival.

Hi,
I only did a 16 Track Recording of a Gig. Worked great.
I noticed one thing though - graphics tend to slow down a lot, the more tracks you add.
But If you're going 48 - 68 Tracks, I'd prefer recording straight to some synced HD recorders , and load the tracks into the DAW (Live in this case) after the tracking.
All you can do during a live show is watch the meters. If you do that in a DAW or on a HD Thing - doesn't realy make a difference. The most importend part would be splitting the Signals and puting them through pre's! But that would be the same - either on a DAW or a HD

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 am

I'd use a dedicated multi-track/linear style DAW tbh. Live has a lot of fun bells and whistles and is a great composition/performance/sound design tool, but at the end of the day if you're doing oldschool track recording I'd stick with tools/cubase etc. personally. I find arrangement view much less intuitive to use for this linear style, than say SX3.

Maybe look into reaper if you don't want to fork out lots of cash? Anyone have experience using reaper for multi-track?

68 tracks though, fark lol.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:45 am

TBH I don't think Live is the right tool for this job. Use a dedicated multi track recorder program that designed specifically to ship large volumes of data from audio input to the disk drive.

I've used Live as an 8 track recorder using my Presonus Firepod / Sony Vaio with no problems. But 48+ tracks ? you're going to need a pretty powerful computer for that.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:50 am

Are you sure you would you need 68 tracks ? Most Live board recordings even for big name stadium rock bands are under 40 tracks, even the Pink Floyd laser show tours of this world with a ton of backup singers and every piece of drum kit miced ... Or buss/group some tracks to make it less of a headache. Recording that many tracks at once is going to put a lot of strain on your CPU, so I assume you have like a 12 core Mac Pro or something to handle that load ?

Even Live Classical recordings with huge orchestras are usually less than that !

Using RME's totalmix is definitely a good idea and for straight tape recorder style recording of a lot of tracks of live audio, something like Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, DP or Reaper etc will probably serve you better.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:52 am

I'm not sure what type of Live gig requires 48-68 tracks but I'm sure I would not use Live for such an event. And if it really matters to you then look into renting a hardware recorder as backup, you know, jic. With that said I have recorded a few live events with Reaper (but no where near that many tracks) and things went very well, before, during and after.

Just some food for thought...

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 am

I went out for as quick smoke and thought about this some more and ....

I'd like to know what requires 68 tracks? Are there multiple stages at this event or are there large number of folks roaming around with mics that need a separate track each? I'm not trying to derail the thread and I'm definitely not trying to say your pursuit is not legitimate. I sincerely want to know. What requires this many tracks?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:08 am

68 channels at a live gig??? are you recording 5 stages simultaneously?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 am

fishmonkey wrote:68 channels at a live gig??? are you recording 5 stages simultaneously?
He needs to record each keys of a piano on their own tracks.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am

Get Reaper its $60.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 am

nylarch wrote:Get Reaper its $60.
I dont think it's a matter of DAW.

68 tracks, I don't know but that seems HUGE for the audio stream on the hard drive.
I would record it on something else than a computer if I could, if this solution even exist, I dont even know !

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Just been looking at the madiface. It's meant as a laptop device and can support up to 64 MADI input channels. So somebody at RME obviously thinks it is practical to process this many channels on a laptop.

You'll need a system capable of somewhere between:

16 bit * 64 channels * 44100 samples per second = approx 44 Mbit/second.

and

32 bit * 64 channels * 96000 samples per second = approx 188 Mbit/second.

sustained data rate to disk when writing 64 simultaneous files. Which theoretically is well within the range of eSATA drives.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:19 pm

crumhorn wrote:Just been looking at the madiface. It's meant as a laptop device and can support up to 64 MADI input channels. So somebody at RME obviously thinks it is practical to process this many channels on a laptop.

You'll need a system capable of somewhere between:

16 bit * 64 channels * 44100 samples per second = approx 44 Mbit/second.

and

32 bit * 64 channels * 96000 samples per second = approx 188 Mbit/second.

sustained data rate to disk when writing 64 simultaneous files. Which theoretically is well within the range of eSATA drives.
All right, that's better than what i wrote.

but then again, I m drunk so I might write total bullshit.