How to i record one midi track onto another?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
poof

How to i record one midi track onto another?

Post by poof » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 am

Like you would trigger a drum sample onto a timeline to record a beat, i want to trigger a midi sample (1 bar track) onto a timeline.

flippo

Re: How to i record one midi track onto another?

Post by flippo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 am

by 'midi sample (1 bar track)', do you mean a midi clip?

So you want to launch midi clips with midi notes? Are the midi notes meant to come from a remote controller, or another midi clip?

monobeach

Post by monobeach » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

create an audio track, set input to your midi track, record enable it, press the global record button, hit play

poof

Post by poof » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 am

theres no way to set input to the midi track. the only thing i can set input to on an audio track is an external in.

Yes i want to launch midi clips using midi notes from a midi piano and have those record the midi data on the timeline. Like every key on the piano would be a different midi clip.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:03 am

1. Create a bunch of MIDI clips containing notes (name this track "Clips Track")
2. assign the clips to be triggered by the MIDI notes on your piano (apple-M/cntrl-M to map the clip slots to MIDI)
3. create a second MIDI track (call it "Recording Track") and in it's input selector, choose Clips Track
4. click the record button on Recording Track - you'll see the clip slot buttons become record buttons
5. click on a slot in Recording Track to start recording
6. trigger the MIDI clips in Clips Track from your piano
MBP i5 2.53GHz | OSX 10.12.6 | Live10.0.4 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree