All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3phase

Re: All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I am serious,

I know you have your issues with the company and you are pretty vocal.

However, the fact that you have posted 60+ suggestions on here that would improve the program show that you are actively engaged with it, have a lot to offer and, if I was them I'd look at all of that and how vocal you are and think, well perhaps if he was on the inside pissing out instead of the other way around there would be gain here...
I am activly involved in suffering from theire product and philosophy behind its development.
beside a finished degree in businessmanagement is mandatory at ableton.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:11 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I am serious,

I know you have your issues with the company and you are pretty vocal.

However, the fact that you have posted 60+ suggestions on here that would improve the program show that you are actively engaged with it, have a lot to offer and, if I was them I'd look at all of that and how vocal you are and think, well perhaps if he was on the inside pissing out instead of the other way around there would be gain here...
no, he'd probably end up duct taped to a tree upside down with the staff urinating on him hourly. he's a pain in the ass and proud of it.

if you're impressed by this you might want to try the Features Request forum.

some of these requests are already in Live. some I can't make heads nor tails of what he's saying. some are pretty damn good. ironically productive thread.

3phase your interweb personna is out of f-ing control. :lol:
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Tone Deft wrote: 3phase your interweb personna is out of f-ing control. :lol:
and i thought abletons development team is out of control.. or rather into bug breeding than daw design..

thanks god ritchie hawtin invested in some recall functionality..

to bad that he neded max for live and an extrenal developer to do what actually should be part of the program..

the funny thing with ableton live is that you can do on the single clip or track anything..
as soon you try to manipulate multiple clips or tracks you are off the road..wrong program for multitrack production... the program has everthing protools dont has and the oher way around.. probably designed as protools add on, but not as stand alone daw...

actualy make live standalone ready would be a good feature wish.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:51 am

changing the orders of scenes will stop the playback and ends recordings..

i dont see why this has to be this way and seem to remember that this was not allways like this.

In production such screen tasks shouldnt be able to end a recording.

if the program cant deal with rearanging the graphical display while running, the action should be prohibited while runing..at least while a recording is taking place..
This is not the only task that is able to end recordings when i remember correctly..

except stop or stop clips commands no user action should interupt the performance or recording...

having a loop in arrange and selecting that loop and copy and paste that into session view will create clips that only have start stop makers but no loop selected or activated

so the user has to set the loop for each involved clip by hand. :roll: .

thats actually not very smart programmed because its very likely that the copy of an arrange loop is ment to be a loop in sessionmode aswell..

and even when thats not the case its much faster to just switch loop off for the clips than setting loop markers on them.. In any case the loop selection should be done automaticaly.. wether it sets loop to on or off is debatable.. but.. actually the state of the arranger while doing the copy should detemine that.. when the arrangement selection was on an active loop the transfer to session view has loops activated.. when its just a free selection the insertion has loop off.. but the loop selection on the copied region allready made.

pasting such an above mentioned selection in session view needs the first tracks clip slot to be selected to have the clips placed on the wright tracks.. otherwise they are placed eratic ..especially when grouptracks are involved..

it would be nice if such an arrange selction insert into session view is allways :!: placed on the source tracks, everything else dont makes much sense and is just stealing time, user that need weard placements on the wrong tracks can do that in a secondary move, all others should enjoy the comfort of fail proove operation.. and

just selecting the scene should be enough to show the program where to place the selection.. in case the scene is occupied an overwrite warning appears.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:43 am

the bitcrusher... sounds horrible..

ok.. a bit crusher is supposed to sound horrible.. but however..the ableton version sounds lame in relation to the ones i ve heard sofar.. maybe this is related to the famous ableton sound?
Where the bit crusher in logic starts to grizzle and cry the one in ableton creates a mushy hiss..

i mention this not because i think such a plug is needed.. just to point to the interesting question about where the mushy hiss character comes from and whether this might be a side fx of other sound engine problems..

I actually doubt that logic has done an especially complikated algorythm for their bitcrusher..
so why does it sound so much more solid than the ableton version?
Has ableton some extr smooshing to make it sound cleaner?
If this is the case i would call it over developed..

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:14 am

One thing thats been driving me mad since I started using Live about 5 years ago, is the fact that the pan read outs are in the bottom right hand corner of the screen in a font size of 4 - I mean, seriously... Thats just stupid. Theres plenty real estate around the actual pan knob for each track... Hell, even a box that pops up by your mouse when you adjust would be better then this travesty... Seriously annoying...

Oh and the fact that you can't nudge anything... equally as a depressing...

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 am

3phase wrote:005

also new in L8... time line in clips is gone.. or only visible when switching warp off..
what of cause cant be done on the running clip..

a function to show the timline on demand would be nice..
I mean, what was the reason for removing the timeline?... i can find zero justification for this.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Tone Deft wrote:3phase your interweb personna is out of f-ing control. :lol:
A clear-cut case of the pot calling the kettle black if ever I've seen one :!: :!: :!:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm

djsynchro wrote:
A clear-cut case of the pot calling the kettle black if ever I've seen one :!: :!: :!:
funny..when i read synchro i get reminded to everything stupid in and around ableton live.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 pm

3phase wrote:
djsynchro wrote:
funny..when i read synchro i get reminded to everything stupid in and around ableton live.
Bazinga! :D

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:58 pm

MMC commands are not recognized as asignable remote commands... while tere are a few controlers out ther thta have dedicated transport buttons that only send mmc commands that is a limitation..

Also the user remote script should allow to use mmc commands

broc

Post by broc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:51 pm

3phase wrote:105

MMC commands are not recognized as asignable remote commands... while tere are a few controlers out ther thta have dedicated transport buttons that only send mmc commands that is a limitation..

Why don't you want a standard implementation of MMC input/output like in other DAWs?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:57 pm

broc wrote:
3phase wrote:105

Why don't you want a standard implementation of MMC input/output like in other DAWs?

oh just to dont overcharge ableton.. thats the minimal implementation
This Poblem is nothing in relation to the transport/sync related issues..
but a detail you come along when your fancy digital mixing desk transport section is of no use...

first because live is so bad on extrenal timecode.. second because it seems to dont have any mmc implementation at all.. at least ther is no entry in the manual search under mmc

so officially ther is none.. not even the mention that there is none

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

106 3phase is a whiny b*tch

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am

when you move a loop with grid off slightly forward to catch some zerocrossing.. or having a silbiancs before the actual one, you want to be part of the loop to have it at least on the second run wright. ( you allways can edit the first one in arrage later than )
You have a loop where the startmarker is on the one..but the loop borders are slightly shifted..

A standard situation. agreed?

When you now switch the grid back to bar frames for example.. and want to change the length of the loop... live is doing weard shit..

it actually should work on a length change in a similar fashion as its doing the loop position changing.. there you have the option to move the loop relativ to the original offset AND to the next grid frame..

with the loop length change i would expect that the user wants to keep it on solid intervals even when grid quantisation is turned off.
While that is debatable its defently likely that when the user has switched to a rough grid that he wants to have a loop length in that grid and not trys to something with an extra fine error.
Steals time to deal with that situation