All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:09 pm

davepermen wrote:
3phase wrote:and ableton is aiming for quality..or?
and you always are aiming to such statements..or?

:)

you should try a blog. abletonfail.blogger.com or something. or how about twitter? post every annoying thing you find there to the whole world.

the abletonians have blocked you in here anyways, they don't read your stuff anymore. you want to get it out to the masses.

do you know the movie brazil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNnRBksvOU

to bad that engineers are too expensiv for a poor company like ableton

and now please spare me from your presence in this thread ..

otherwise i will never learn your name
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:13 pm

as if you ever would. and no, i won't stop being in this thread, as i'm just as free to write what i want and think, just as you. and you make very much use of that freedom.

so far i like the list, and even the tone is mostly fine. congrats from my side. but as said before, don't expect much results when ranting on the forum. why should it change one day after the years they did not listen to you?
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:15 pm

davepermen wrote:as if you ever would. and no, i won't stop being in this thread, as i'm just as free to write what i want and think, just as you. and you make very much use of that freedom.

so far i like the list, and even the tone is mostly fine. congrats from my side. but as said before, don't expect much results when ranting on the forum. why should it change one day after the years they did not listen to you?
so could you please do the number 020 depperman? or are there no improovemets possible in the handling of ableton live?

if you see it this way use your freedom to shut up :-)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:18 pm

only if you use that freedom. you first, as always.

well, lets see..

020 for me, still no native mp3. it's annoying having a track loading for quite a while, and being on stage with ssds, storage is expensive, so the caching is, too. and especially on an ssd, the wave cache makes zero sense.

021 no disabling of space bar. i'd like a live mode, where you can't stop the audio no matter how you try. disables all the "do you want to stop the audio to do this" questions, and disables the spacebar (yeah, i pressed it on stage in front of around 2000 people. happily the reverberation of the room and the quick repress made it sound kinda nice)

if i get more, i'll add them.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 pm

guys - we know how 3phase is, what's the surprise? let 3phase be 3phase, he's not going anywhere.

3phase, you're gonna get criticism for your harsh writing, roll with it. just be cool man.

enough with the flame wars and name calling. I know I do it too but let's chill.

022 - put the timeline back into Session View clips.

023 - make follow modes midi assignable.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm

024 - Complete the help text in the info view for all Live devices.

eg. Simpler, Grain Delay (which needs it badly), Erosion, Chorus etc.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 pm

quantisation algorythm of lives midi clips is underdeveloped and on the most possible primitve stage..

it should act like a better 1980s quantisation to achive better results...
therefor the general offset of a sequence needs to put into consideration.. ..the offset of the seq gets removed ...the first event shifted to the one.. and than the quantisation gets applied..

as often reinventing the wheel is not necessary on age old technologys.. just have a bit smarter algorythms.

like in the sync department abletons algorythms are often overly primitiv on simple tasks..

that dont gives a good immage.. doing realtime time stretching on the one hand and not beeing able to propperly quantize on the other?

actually one could go even a bit futher than the 1980 standards and have the impact of offsets seperatly adjustable on the quantize template...

so at least the groove pool entrys could have an offset setting.

IP

Post by IP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm

026 Automation: double click is not needed. It could be single click to add a point and if someone needs to drop a full line to hold ctrl or something

027 Automation: it should be possible to select many out of range points ... for ex. 3 points for 1.1.2 and 3 from 1.1.4

028 Automation: to have value feedback on multi point selection (smallest and biggest value)

029 utility: allow to go -inf

030 let looper export different files not just a salad with everything in

031 let fades ... fade (remove this ridiculous limit to loop only the clips original length)
Last edited by IP on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 pm

032 Automation: ability to type in a value for an envelope
Last edited by Tone Deft on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

IP

Post by IP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 pm

oups i edit my post and f**ed the numbering :lol:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I found a silly one right now: Copying a midi track to the browser does not include its samples, unless there's midi clips in the session view. Its not enough having clips in Arrange view. This gave me some head trouble to figure out! A bit of overhauling on the copy to/from browser future would be sweet. At present time its a bit unclear. Perhaps a menu could appear with the options to copy the samples, when dragging something over. Preferably, Live should always ask this question when importing or exporting devices, racks, projects and tracks.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm

all this drag and drop browser functionalitys should have an expression in right click submenues.. just as a princip. no exclusiv drag and drop functions.. becuase that is causing manual dependency..

however.. if it has to be like that.. at least spod more than one sentece in the manual about it and index it correctly.. an etry for scene export is mandatory

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm

dedicated controlers should not be able to navigate horizontal by single steps.. thats highly overview killing..

its better to just jup in complete pages as we find it on any difial desk ever produced..

however if single track switching is wanted at least have this a the secondary operation..

so the one that needs extra key strokes.. default or primary operation should be one key page switching...

anythong else as extra..

scrolling outside the exsiting tracks as we have it with the apc 40 implemetation wright now is bad ....
the border should be at least a divisor of 8 includig the last exsisting tracks and returns.. return tracks should be indicated by doing something with the associated not used launch buttons

its anyway questionable that returs are part of the track scroling.. should be recalled with the sends..

in general the dedicated cotroler implementation could get a more stage related logical tune up

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:53 pm

midi thru is a mess.. its not made for use with exteranl gear.. so we have to live with latency...

its also not ment for stage use or life playing.. again live shows that it dont features content creation..just reproduction..so rather a playbacktool than a real life software..

thru is realized by the monitor setting in relation to individual track I/O routings and therfore not easy to change on stage.. external midi routers are required to work with life.. so it dot really qualifies as workstation just because of that details..

instead to patch work fix around that problem i suggest to reall fix it by introducing a special thru track.. remoteable as other live devices this track is just doing midi thru..to external ports or other internal tracks or devices..
and maybe could be even able to act as master keayboard controler with splits..

that would be a clean fix for a big drawback of the program

no multichannel midi

thats another huge drawback it should be at least possible to seperate the multichannel midi data afterwards as a workaround..

so the output channel setting is using arteficial intelligence.. if all data in the clip is on one chanel.. the channel gets shifted by the out channel.. if the clip contains multiple channels, the out channel set is a filter that only lets pass that channel.

also the editor could be able to deal with multiple midi channels with the aid of a visual channel filter

live dont has any technical info window..especially on the midi side that sucks.. the little help window in the lower left corner could take that function so its not only good for beginners..

when an editor is open this little window should give detail info of the events..maybe can be even editable.but just to have the info would be allready very helpfull...and professional

with the aid of that info window life could be enabled to store sysex data.. also very good and professional feature to store set data for external expanders.. .. just having them visble and eraseable .. maybe a preff option to allow sysex or not

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm

you cant load while playing or deal with multiple projekts at once..

thats actually not a detail... rather big evil that forces users to build either monsterszse live sets for stage work or having rather playback shows with long prerecorded sections..

its also not very handy when trying to combine multiple arrange live runoffs to a final arrange.. only workaround to copy each run off to a 1000 bar later position what really gets on the overview.. while a shorter distance can be easily breached when you dont stop early enough.

In ideal you could load another projekt in the background while running and switch to that one while runnig.. maybe even with a special projekt crossfader...

and of cause copy paste in between the 2 projekt windows...

that sounds like a feature request but is actually an age old shortcomming of ableton live that has been adressed as wish allready 8 years ago..so its not likely that this will ever be fullfilled..
Last edited by 3phase on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.