All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
madlab

Re: All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Post by madlab » Sat May 07, 2011 6:48 am

3phase wrote:017

Lives HiQ setting for the SR algorythm is useless.. or better.. the low quality one is useless..

a redundant setting..

the high q dont eats up more resources really but sounds much better.. while the low q dont is bad enough to qualify as fx and dont saves anything anyway.. ..

actually the low q we have now is the high q of former live versions..while the old low q, that was so bad that it was sometimes nice again, got abadoned...

so we are not backward compatible in the actual state and dont win anything... just redundant controls on the screen and preff tabs.

so..

by getting totally rid of the actual low q setting that is in all regards useless..

either

1) bring back the old low q.. it safes really some calulation power and sounds so hasrh that it actually changes the position of a sound in a mix..so can be seen as fx...

2) get rid of this hi/lo thing totaly and safe screen space and pref tabs for something more usefull

3) have the actual hi Q mode the standard.. and add a real HI Q one for demanding situations..

in any case the actual state is useless..

is anybody not using HiQ all the time?
Nope.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat May 07, 2011 7:02 am

3phase wrote:
davepermen wrote:my os has a clock in the right corner showing me the time. i don't want this duplicated in live eating up space.
its not about the daytime.. its about the time your track is running... can be important for theater use.. or in case they ever fix the timecode issue you might like to see your TC while being in session mode..
I use Live a lot for theater work and I second 3phase on that one.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

not likely to happen and maybe mentioned before..

The back to arrange function could need various updates.. biggest problem its only global.. so you cant yump into an allready exsiting runoff..alter some parametrs on a track.. perform a new break for example and than jump back into the old arrangement in sensfull ways..

would be good if the back to arrange function could be performed track related..

that also would help for many automation tasks or could be part of an automation update.

related.. for test purposes or overdubs of external musicans you often like to alter allready complete auomated tracks..

would be nice to disable automations for an individual track without loosing them.

would be nice if one could undo a back to arrange command.. best also track related

The Arrange recording functionality with the mighty back to arrange knob is one of ableton lives biggest advantages in relation to other daws. This functionality hasnt seen any upgradse since L1.. was working ok,, a bit primitiv and so many other tgings to implement halfways... so that by now even that brilliant function appears to be only implemented halfways.. Its a complx matter and defently needs some careful design thoughts.. so the never will touch it... But would be good neverthe less to overthink ths core functionalitys of live and give them a sensefull upgrade.

dubs on older projekts could be mraked with a thin colour bar in the naviation area..differnt path could get differnt colours.. would help on large projekt files to easily see wher new thing have been added.. or an automatic colour chanle of the reprinted clips.. undo redo just for this sections would be nice too
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 pm

you cant reset the mididrivers from within live..so you need to relaunch when you open a new iac bus for example.. not very practical..

there is no prefference to disable lives urge to become a rewire slave when possible rewire masters are present..this interferas badly with point 212 as i am experiancing wright now.. again

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 1:51 am

when live is in timecode sync you only can stop and start at the master... thats a pretty retard and unpractical mode of operation.. its better when the slave can be stopped independendtly and when you strt it again it just jumps on the still going code.. that allows for example reloading of projekts without the need to stop the timecode master on stage..

that sadly

cant be another live instance because live is not ableton to send a timecode

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 am

would be good when there would be an option where live only starts and stops manually when beeing in timecode sync.. when the start is performed before the start offset it will remote start but when the timecode drops it will continue to play

for midi clock sync it would be good when ther would be an option where live would have a similar mode.. but there it runs on its own temp..just uses the external start command but keeps running on an external stop...

and there cant be too much prefferences to deal with sync szenarios...the users will be able to handle it. and its well hidden on a subpage of the preffs window...

condra

Post by condra » Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 am

This may have been mentioned before. I didn't read the whole thread.

When I work on a new set, the first time I slice to midi, it uses "built in 0 vel" preset, but any time afterwards, it goes to "built in". This is a small thing, but annoying.
I don't want to mess with config files. I would like to be able to fix my "slice to midi" behavior in preferences.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am

219:

when i read the forum after saving a new live set i experience an extremely itchy rectum.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am

leisuremuffin wrote:219:

when i read the forum after saving a new live set i experience an extremely itchy rectum.
must be tiny weener syndrom

betterbox

Post by betterbox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 am

A set 1:1:!:! new start point along the time line is badly missing.

I dont know if that has been allready mentioned. But o just came along that. And in the actual bitwig discussion..thats probably also a point bit wig hasnt in theire program..because all coders live somehow under the impression that time is fininte thing.. you start here..and end there..
but time is just passing.. and music illustrates time.

A good thing in live is that you can let it run as long as you want.. but it should work more like a tape reel where when you have recorded 20 good minutes you just set a new start point and record from that point the rest of the wheel..

As it is now you are forced to jump back to the beginning for quite a few reasons. And beside the risk to damge your good forst 20 minutes thats stressing and takin a lot of extra work in the studio to allways start new sub prpjekt before the main body of the session even has started..

It shouldnt be an issue on a computer to accidetly record over a previous run off..

:wink:

betterbox

Post by betterbox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 pm

and one more.. but thats rather a feature request.. when doing multitrack recordings live can be enabled very quickly to record 16 or more tracks on the fly in the arrangement view with the aid of the arrang rec button..
all armed tracks write data to the disk than.. thats a good thing.. however.. you create massive amounts of silence this way in the data files.. gigabytes..

It would be nice if there would be an audio level triggered rec mode in arrange.. with a little prerecording to the next one before the actual sound events starts..

that would safe a massive amount of work and disk space..

but ok.. thats a bit OT because one cant call that a problem..no daw is doing it while recording..
But the other daws offer a way to get rid of the silence afterwards.. with live thats really a lot of work..

so at least something like the strip silence function we find in logic and other daws that is operating offline to clean up your projekt file
Last edited by betterbox on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:10 pm

betterbox wrote:220

A set 1:1:!:! new start point along the time line is badly missing.

I dont know if that has been allready mentioned. But o just came along that. And in the actual bitwig discussion..thats probably also a point bit wig hasnt in theire program..because all coders live somehow under the impression that time is fininte thing.. you start here..and end there..
but time is just passing.. and music illustrates time.

A good thing in live is that you can let it run as long as you want.. but it should work more like a tape reel where when you have recorded 20 good minutes you just set a new start point and record from that point the rest of the wheel..
great idea!

betterbox

Post by betterbox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:48 pm

when you enable arrange rec ..record a while and disable arrange rec again.. livefalls back to the original arrangement.. so far so good..

but..

when you work on blank space.. falling back to the previous arrange means stop all clips..

considering that we have an infinite timeline..or at least one to next dezember.. it would be actually nice if a litle arteficial inteligence would check wether we overdub an exsisting arrange or are on the free wide ocean.. and in case of the free ocean just keeps the engaged clips running and dont terminates them when we stop the recording.. when we want the music to stop we can use the stop button

maybe the rec indictor can blink than to remind one that we are running new content but not recording.. printing to disk paused..

that would be somehow nice

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 am

maybe its allready mentioned in this listing

2 more

Live has abandoned the supoort of copy paste between open instances of live, since Live 7

This, or another way of having 2 projects open at once should return

And

Live dont handles the insertion point of a plug in during a arrange recording.. Therefore playing back that recording will sound different than the actual recording run because the new plug in will be active from bar 1.. And not be bypassed up to the point of insertion..

So the promisse that live catches a performance in all nuances is not hold.

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

and