A Gaint Reaktor Multi Slicer Effects Rack

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mike_o

A Gaint Reaktor Multi Slicer Effects Rack

Post by mike_o » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 am

I put this together over the last few months.

here it is...

Master FX Maschine Expanded Ensemble Layout and Guide.

The FX are Chained in this order internally...

R3order, Reverser, Phaser, Grain FX1, Grain FX2, Octave, Spin, BeatLookUp, Multiband Filter, LP Filter, HP Filter, Flanger, Dual Sync Delay, Compressor.

1. R3order v1.2 (originally created by Riccardo Ferri) - This is the first largest part at the top of the screen. Its essentially the same thing as smart electronics suppatrigga but with a refined GUI that gives total control over slices, power down & reverse timings. This is the foundation of stage 1. It can use live input or a sample from the built in sampler which holds 128 samples and can be midi mapped to scroll through samples while playing.

To R3order I added 8 midi mappable sequencers and a list editor that allows you to play through your FX sequences by midi.

The original GUI based slice editor is still in tact but I added the 8 numeric pattern sequencers for midi playability as the GUI editor does not midi map.

I also added the ability to turn the power down and reverse effects off and on independently from the slicer itself.

There are midi mappable controls for all the major functions.

*R3order works 1 bar behind live time-meaning that it has to buffer 1 whole bar before it starts to work and will always end up a bar behind the live input.

2. Then I took several single effect modules from an ensemble called Optimus Rex by Donald Phillips.

they are the following -

The Reverser, Phaser, Grain FX1, Grain FX2, Octave, and Spin modules.

All these effects can be activated instantly in live time.

3. Then I used the heart of BeatLookUp by Chris List as the final slicing stage.

This is a %100 live time playable slicer, reverser and powerdown effect that functions %100 in realtime audio input with instant playing response.

It has a very different type of power than R3order so both were bult together, BeatLookUp is staged last in the major effects/slicing chain to allow for maximum FX overlaps and captures/stutters.

Then there is the filtering stage.

a multi-band (8) filter with band shift, low pass, high pass then a flanger and a dual sync delay and a compressor finish out the audio chain.

Basically this is my little combo masher and a control template for the Maschine Midi hardware from Native Instruments.

thank you to the Reaktor community who built all the hard parts.

Riccardo Ferri - R3order
Donald Phillips - Optimus Rex
Chris List - BeatLookUp

enjoy and Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelohaganmusic

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BL9C9NAE

this includes the ensemble and a Maschine Hardware Template that is Pre mapped to everything.

Hervé

Re: A Gaint Reaktor Multi Slicer Effects Rack

Post by Hervé » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:07 am

This is great work ! thanks for sharing (:

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 am

totally cool. can't seem to get the final filter section to effect my sound. Is it like a filter bank?

I have the lfo enabled... not sure what else i'm missing
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 am

Looks fun, especially since it's made to work with he Mashine controller. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it. I'm definitely going to check it out. Have you shared it over at he NI Maschine forum? I'm sure there are Reaktor using Maschine users there who would love to try it out.

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:34 am

the multi freq knob is a freq shift control for the multiband filter that needs to be activated by the "Pad" button labeled fil on/off.

its the 3rd row up and the third button in from the left, activate that and then the knob shifts around the multibands freq.

same with the spin control, it has to be activated by the pad button and then the knob has an effect.

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 am

I am updating this to have all extra parameters available on page B for further refinement.

also be careful when midi mapping as the grain fx's and phaser and fil on off pads all have a second hidden control internally to attenuate for volume fluctuations.

I'll post up an updated version with a more useful page B in a few days.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 am

interesting.. thanks..

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 pm

8O 8O 8O ...CooL...!!!

Thanks a Lot !!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:45 pm

sorry to be such a n00b, but i cant really figure out how to work all this...tried looking up the original parts on NI reaktor forum, but still dont totally get it...especially the first r3order part...how do you assign what effect to what slice on the sequencers?

anyway thanks for the upload...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Cool. Thanks! :)

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:29 am

bertzerk wrote:sorry to be such a n00b, but i cant really figure out how to work all this...tried looking up the original parts on NI reaktor forum, but still dont totally get it...especially the first r3order part...how do you assign what effect to what slice on the sequencers?

anyway thanks for the upload...
only powerdown and reverse FX are tied to R3order, they are controlled by the little graph with the up/down steps just below the main grid/graph - then the bottom graph of the 3 controls volume gating in r3order, the other pad controlled FX are not tied to r3order at all.

r3order is self contained from the rest of the FX.

db120

Post by db120 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:32 am

___
Last edited by db120 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

db120

Post by db120 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:32 am

Very interesting. Looking forward to trying it out with Maschine this weekend.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 am

how does the reorder grid interact with the midi mappable knobs? which one actually does the re-ordering?

it feels like everything gets reordering twice, once in teh grid, once with the knobs. is this correct?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 am

Jekblad wrote:how does the reorder grid interact with the midi mappable knobs? which one actually does the re-ordering?

it feels like everything gets reordering twice, once in teh grid, once with the knobs. is this correct?
yes, this is correct, the grid and the knobs can both interact/interfere with each other.

I left it this way so that the grid could be used in the studio while all the midi mappable knobs and sequence list can be used live via midi.