Reason Demo ReWire into Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

Reason Demo ReWire into Live

Post by BoddAH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:53 am

I heard a lot of good things about Reason and recently decided to give it a shot. Amongst Live users it is especially popular as a ReWire slave to make up for the (relative) lack of synthesizers in Live.

So, I installed the demo and tried it out as a ReWire slave. Using Thor from Live and recording it back into an audio track in Live.

It's great, I love it. I enjoyed the demo and am obviously going to buy the product, right?
The thing is, feature wise the Reason demo is everything people who want to use it only as a ReWire slave need.
It isn't limited in time, all devices are there, fully functional, and ReWire works 100%. Unsurprisingly saving and exporting projects is disabled but that's not really an issue since you record and save everything in Live anyway.
The only minor annoyance is the fact that the program shuts down every 20 minutes, but again this is not really problematic since you can start just start it again without losing any of your work (everything is saved in the ReWire master, Live).

So am I missing something here? Is this intended, or, dare I say it, even legal (am I allowed to use sounds ReWired from the demo for commercial use for instance?).

Dean Corrie

Re: Reason Demo ReWire into Live

Post by Dean Corrie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello,
BoddAH wrote:It isn't limited in time,
BoddAH wrote:The only minor annoyance is the fact that the program shuts down every 20 minutes
BoddAH wrote:So am I missing something here?
Yes
BoddAH wrote:Is this intended
Yes
BoddAH wrote:or, dare I say it, even legal
Does it matter?
BoddAH wrote:am I allowed to use sounds ReWired from the demo for commercial use for instance?
Probably not
BoddAH wrote:I enjoyed the demo and am obviously going to buy the product, right?
Yes

Cheers,
Dean

Slacker4hire

Post by Slacker4hire » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 pm

the trick is to run the Record demo with Reason.

you still can't open old projects, but it will function as a rewire slave, you get the so-so SSL, and no 20min time limit.
10.9 - Live 9.1/M4L - Studio One 2.6.2 - Komplete 9 ultimate - Maschine 2.0 MK2 plus random goodies and a ton of unused hardware.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Dean Corrie wrote: Hello,
Hello!
Dean Corrie wrote: Yes
By limited in time I obviously meant limited as in, say, a one month period like the Live demo.
Dean Corrie wrote:
Does it matter?
Well yeah it kind of matters, otherwise I would just, you know, pirate the shit out of everything and not ask these stupid questions.

Dean Corrie wrote:
Yes

These are only hypothetical questions. If the novelty factor wears off I’m obviously going to ditch the product. And if I truly enjoy it and integrate it into my core workflow I’m not going to run a demo version for years, I’m not THAT cheap.

Cheers,

Dean Corrie

Post by Dean Corrie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 pm

By "does it matter?" I meant nobody would know you were using the demo.
If it works for you that's great.
Obviously you would buy when you have something commercially released.
The demo is there to be used.
Cheers,
Dean

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 am

If you like something after demoing it and want to use it commercially, you should save up and buy it. Simples.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

flippo

Post by flippo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:52 am

am I missing something? I didn't think that ableton was able to save all your reason project configurations? Doesn't it just clock where to send midi and where to receive audio? Otherwise you still need to open up the relevant project file to get all your reason settings.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

ShelLuser wrote:
flippo wrote:am I missing something? I didn't think that ableton was able to save all your reason project configurations?
It isn't. That's why I think the OP is merely working with Reason presets.
I own Reason 5 and use it as Rewire Slave with Live. In my experience Live doesn't save anything in Reason. Not instruments, effects, mixers, etc. So if I don't save my Reason project as well as my Live project, there is nothing coming out of Reason (of course)!
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:
flippo wrote:am I missing something? I didn't think that ableton was able to save all your reason project configurations?
It isn't. That's why I think the OP is merely working with Reason presets.
I own Reason 5 and use it as Rewire Slave with Live. In my experience Live doesn't save anything in Reason. Not instruments, effects, mixers, etc. So if I don't save my Reason project as well as my Live project, there is nothing coming out of Reason (of course)!
Well maybe I was exaggerating by saying the Reason demo is "fully featured".
Obviously you cannot build complex racks and save Reason projects to open them in parallel with your Live project to be ready to go.
Most mixing and effect tasks will still have to be handled by (and saved in) Live.

But you can still:

Use the Reason factory presets and use them with your saved Live midi tracks (along with all Midi and Audio effects you need on your Live audio tracks).

Record audio from Reason into Live and further process it from there.

That's not the whole thing but it's still a lot considering it's 100% free.

BadGrrmmr

Post by BadGrrmmr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:09 pm

What I did was downloaded reason 5 demo and record 1.5 demo. Use record rewired into live as there is no time limit and you have access to all the reason synths, effects etc.

Cheeky!!