why a lot of people here anti BT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:29 pm

bencodec wrote:bill hicks: "You do a commercial and your off the artisitic role call, period."

funny enough i also heard some RDJ recently in a commercial for the special olympics. was a class moment.
RDJ is different though. He's never made bold claims about being an artist. He's a drug loving electronics tweaking freak of nature, and he's never denied it.

For him to sell out would be him all of sudden having his stuff in an art gallery claiming big philosophical interests in his work. :lol:

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:32 pm

oh, i wasn't really challenging RDJ, it seems to me an ad for the special olympics would not only be a non-profit venture but would be a pretty big laugh for a man whos named an EP windowlicker.
Last edited by bencodec on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:45 pm

bencodec-

even better Aphex's way of not doing a Madonna remix was by saying he wanted to make her sound like a pig by only using grunting noises...

but however he also said that we have no idea how many and what remixes he has done....

its a big "secret"......

fyi-

Aphex had a track licensed here for an anti drug commercial as well....

nice with the Bill Hicks quote as well,,...going for that anti-market market i see?

stockbender-

i agree with people outside of the states then, i dont really believe in "selling out" as having meaning as i stated earlier. Why they dont use that phrase over in Europe? whatever good for them.

i was not suggesting that this forum is for BT's own good. we can all learn from other peoples open critiques of other's music.

ok so another bottom line--because i thought your post was rather judgmental as well, sarcastic or not, and while you feel that ah i cant even write this anymore its reached such a cliched point....

its extremely difficult not to judge...

stockbender

Post by stockbender » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:26 pm

"i do find it interesting that the one nation that is so very devoted to capitalism is also a nation that questions "how" someone makes their money. is that such a bad thing? could it be that by being sold to so often people are more acutely interested in authenticity?"

oh i think the whole world caught the bug of capitalism :) ,even Mozart writing a letter to his father, "dad the second most important thing in life ive realized after health is money", i dont know about this though and saying US is to blame :). But i agree with what you say by that , except what is authentic in an industry that is based on illusion? what i think you actually meant to convey is "inner honesty" whcih is one of the most difficult aspects for an artist to "attain" with himself, and then how would one know to what extent thi is from a distance ....in my little world , i either like something or i dont , thats it, if they have a life/career agenda thats great, makes it all more interesting, i dont remeber BT laying one out though, so give the guy a break or anyone for that matter whose pushing the creative buttons, theres plenty of ocean for all us fishies to swim in :)

what happened to PLUR :)

stockbender

Post by stockbender » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm

ok so another bottom line--because i thought your post was rather judgmental as well, sarcastic or not, and while you feel that ah i cant even write this anymore its reached such a cliched point....

its extremely difficult not to judge...

wow, i should of quit when i said so... ok so im wrong , carry on with whatever it is i disturbed:)
Last edited by stockbender on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryocon

Post by Cryocon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Cryocon wrote:
forge wrote:I hate them because they charge too much for phone calls and directory enquiries
:lol: Don't think the 'Septics' will understand that one.
oh no you didn't!!!

'Septics' or 'Seppos' went out with the end of the Vietnam War.
ya damn POM!!! :lol:
Exactly what i said, you didn't understand. :roll:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:52 pm

Amberience wrote: RDJ is different though. He's never made bold claims about being an artist. He's a drug loving electronics tweaking freak of nature, and he's never denied it.

For him to sell out would be him all of sudden having his stuff in an art gallery claiming big philosophical interests in his work. :lol:
exactly!!

Deft

Post by Deft » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:13 pm

I don't particularly like any of BT's newer work, but then I don't buy it. So, who fucking cares?
These topics remind me of arguments people have about someone like Q-Bert selling out!
I'd happily give a limb to be at the same kind of level as someone like BT (or Q-Bert). They get my utmost respect for that. You won't get those kind of skills through arguing on messageboards.......

supster

Re: ..........

Post by supster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:24 pm

Deft wrote:I don't particularly like any of BT's newer work, but then I don't buy it. So, who fucking cares?
Werd
These topics remind me of arguments people have about someone like Q-Bert selling out!
lol. Ironically, Q-Bert lives here in Orlando. If someone were to call him a "boy-band" type this would be the most hilarious statement ever uttered.

Guy is a riot, he's great

So ... Double Werd
I'd happily give a limb to be at the same kind of level as someone like BT (or Q-Bert). They get my utmost respect for that.

You won't get those kind of skills through arguing on messageboards.......
BAM! Triple-Werd Score! Game set match! Close the thread we have a winna! :lol:
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:13 am

...still looking for that really good fish sandwich.
:? 8O :roll:
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:35 am

The sad truth of the matter is you guys are right, none of you have a clue what selling out means. Calling BT a sell out is a joke, he had nothing to give up going commercial, there is absolutely nothing controversial about his music, his image, or politics.

Crass, the Dead Kennedys, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Autechre, Theolinius Monk, these people have something to sell out,

" great stuff Mr. Monk, but could you give us a hit song, you know, some nice little melodic romantic sorta jazzy thing?"

"Hey you Dead Kennedy guys, great rockabilly punk sound, how about we change your name to the Dead Ken's and you sing some generalized angry at the world type of songs, we have major investments in the companies you mention Jello!"

I'm not a major fan of all the groups I mentioned, they are examples of edgy material though. These guys will go down in history as great artists, they actually care about what they do more than money, weird huh?

Maybe, just maybe americans have more contact with the rich, and know a little more personally the simple fact that money doesn't solve your problems, so why compromise your music? Personally I can't stand playing music I don't care for.

One of the reasons most music sucks is because most musicians are trying to make music that sounds commercial, rather than trying to make music that they like.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:41 am

Machinesworking wrote:the Dead Kennedys .............. these people have something to sell out,
and nearly all of them besides Biafra did, when they decided to sue the pants off him. :roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:28 am

AdamJay wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:the Dead Kennedys .............. these people have something to sell out,
and nearly all of them besides Biafra did, when they decided to sue the pants off him. :roll:
Well that goes both ways, the possibility he was throwing money at new acts on Alternative Tentacles, instead of paying them on time is definitely there. I'm like that, " the rent can wait, Filterscape is only $79 for a few days!" :lol:

The melvins and Jello Biafra did a new years show together here in Seattle, it was really dammed cool. Probably why this typical conversation about selling out filled mostly with people who don't have any thing to sell out, struck me as silly. :roll:

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:27 am

Back on topic, why I don't like BT;

My girlfriend from 1998 - 2001 thought he was hotter than me, and liked his music better.

bitch.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs