why a lot of people here anti BT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
special ed

Post by special ed » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:34 pm

supster wrote:
special ed wrote:
i respect his musicianship and production skills. i would have made different choices though in whom i would produce. nsync? give me a fucking break. im not anti bt. i just hate the pop 40 shit. he is better than that i believe.

ok when I hear opinions like these I take issue with it.

Why wouldnt you jump at the chance to make money if you had the chance?

Its a sellout to want to make a living at your craft?

If you had the opportunity to make 20x as much money on ONE TRACK than you ever have made in music in your life, you wouldnt do this?

What do you do for a living? I'm assuming (like most of us) you are not 100% professional and at least have a day job. Could be wrong.

Please dont stand behind the "I'm an artist with integrity" front, when u know as well as I do that an offer like this could make the difference between you having a day job, or doing music full time.
sorry i didnt realize you were a boyband fan, but i see you are from orlando which is the boyband capitol of the world. but in all seriousness there are really talented artists that seem to not sell out, and unfortunately bt is not one of them. i dont know him personally and the guy is mega talented, but look at the list of people that he chose to appear on his emotional technology album, he could do so much better than that. its a sad thing seeing really gifted people sell out. whats next a bt mash up of p. diddy and britney spears? the thing with bt doing nsync was not a matter of him being a starving musician, because he was already established with a fan base.

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:45 pm

special ed wrote: look at the list of people that he chose to appear on his emotional technology album, he could do so much better than that. its a sad thing seeing really gifted people sell out. whats next a bt mash up of p. diddy and britney spears? the thing with bt doing nsync was not a matter of him being a starving musician, because he was already established with a fan base.
ok this post makes more sense to me. I agree:

There are motivations which make good business sense, and there are those that are blatant attempts at pandering to the LCD

Obviously he wants to be a huge star with household recognition. Big ego

However:

If .. IN REALITY .. someone offered to have you help write/produce a track for someone - like N'Sync, or Britney, or Usher ..

That could actually give you the money and the freedom and other job offers AND because of this gave you the new house, and the money for the studio of your dreams, and a better life for you and your family ..

... you would turn this down? I dont believe you.

90% of the people here would. in REALITY. If the phone rang and the offer came.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:50 pm

interesting point, aphex twin refused an offer to produce madonna. told her he didn't like her music.

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:51 pm

bencodec wrote:interesting point, aphex twin refused an offer to produce madonna. told her he didn't like her music.
lol ... R.D. is definitely in a world of his own. Love the guy for it

Thats a rarity tho
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:52 pm

soldoutsoldoutsoldout!! wtf? are you sold out to your pride, to your ego? everyone is so concerned about artists selling out! is it possible that bt is just doing what he wants to do? or maybe he should sell out to all the people that think he's sold out and start making glitch? so he wants to work with the guy from n'sync....so fuckin what? if you couldn't see that coming from the days of Flaming June then you're blind. Everything he's doing now is an extension of what he's been doing all along. I'm not into his music because it strikes me as a little cheesy. Brilliant, but cheesy. I feel that way about all his music, from ima to emotional technology. Hell, give me some morbid angel, please! But if all you've got to say about bt is that he's "sold-out" then you must not have much to say.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm

oh i certainly wouldn't call BT a sell out either. i don't think he had anything to sell out. i think he makes exactly the boring cheesy music that he likes.

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm

well, i agree with everything everyone has said. BT sucks...i AM jealous of his fame because [a] i don't have it, and he sucks...the stuff he does, does sound like a synth demo, and he has completely and utterly sold out...but...

i'd love to produce a boy/girl band. that would be dope as fuck. especially if they let me dress them up too! as the xmen or something. they'd all have a little laptop station each, with vocal processing. have em all networked to a central station, running live, and just fuck with thier voices over super, SUPER corny beats. that would be incredible. especially with the resources that he has. i'd have to have creative control, but 9 time out of 10, they'd already be ready to to give that to you anyway if they [the label] came to you for your particular sound.

i can't wait for the "opportunity" to sell out. hopefully, i can retain some sense of what inspires me to do this and convey that in anything i play on, but damn that...if someone comes to you and says, "hey i want to give you $XXXXXXXXXX to produce some untalented teenager"...DO IT!! THEN, be an artist and make it hot. it's easy money with autotune :lol:

dpel

Post by dpel » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:10 pm

OK! now...

which reply do you think is BT?

:lol: :wink: 8O
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:15 pm

i do always seem to have more fun remixing a song i don't like then i do remixing one i'm fond of. but my experience is that no one gets too much creative control when dealing with pop.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:24 pm

supster wrote:
Amberience wrote:
But I wouldn't produce for ANY boy band or ANY girl band, no matter how much the cash.
Why not?

What do you currently do for a living? Is it music 100% of the time, or no?

Are you currently recognized in the industry as someone who gets work? Or no?

You dont have to answer, I'm curious as to how many people that can answer those questions in the affirmative, or are actually striving to be successful in music, would say what you just did.
I'm not striving to be successful. I'm a waste of space.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:25 pm

ethios4 wrote:soldoutsoldoutsoldout!! wtf? are you sold out to your pride, to your ego? everyone is so concerned about artists selling out! is it possible that bt is just doing what he wants to do? or maybe he should sell out to all the people that think he's sold out and start making glitch? so he wants to work with the guy from n'sync....so fuckin what? if you couldn't see that coming from the days of Flaming June then you're blind. Everything he's doing now is an extension of what he's been doing all along. I'm not into his music because it strikes me as a little cheesy. Brilliant, but cheesy. I feel that way about all his music, from ima to emotional technology. Hell, give me some morbid angel, please! But if all you've got to say about bt is that he's "sold-out" then you must not have much to say.
See I love the Ima album.

stockbender

Post by stockbender » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 pm

einsnein, you point out a few good arguments, but contructive critisism in my opinion should follow thru with answers or solutions not only accusations signifying ignorance adn lack of credibility...besides i dont think BT posted this topic to inquire to some critisism...the one point in my argument if you reread it, is that i think judging is wrong in plain view :), especially when you dont know someone personally or understand their situation...i personally dont like what BT has done recently and the image hes taken on, but i give credit to him regardless, because unlike many here he is out there and doing it. thats all. please remember that some people do music for fun, and everyone percieves that fun differently...its all subjective in the end anyway, what counts is if you had fun doing it, fuck politics. Also id like to point out that i believe that the term "sell out" exists mostly in the US, in europe most dont percieve it as that bad, i wonder why? and , although i dont like most pop, i think it is difficult to do, its one thing when you are creating something that you like first becuase you are free of such limitations and do what only pleases you, but its another to make something that will appeal to the masses and still be liked by you.

special ed

Post by special ed » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:15 pm

However:

If .. IN REALITY .. someone offered to have you help write/produce a track for someone - like N'Sync, or Britney, or Usher ..

That could actually give you the money and the freedom and other job offers AND because of this gave you the new house, and the money for the studio of your dreams, and a better life for you and your family ..

... you would turn this down? I dont believe you.

90% of the people here would. in REALITY. If the phone rang and the offer came.
i would not work with any of those people because i detest them and i detest what they are about. its not about the money, on the other hand i might consider selling them a throw away track that sounds like a synth demo as long as my name is not on it and i dont have to work with them.

but the all time low for a truley talented artist selling out is... jimmy page working with puff daddy. other honorable mentions include, sting for numerous reasons. u2 for playing the super bowl. aerosmith for too many reasons (gap commercials, superbowl, and being too american) and michael jackson for lisensing beatles songs to corporate conglamorates. i guess compared to all those offenses, bt's is rather minor.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:22 pm

bill hicks: "You do a commercial and your off the artisitic role call, period."

funny enough i also heard some RDJ recently in a commercial for the special olympics. was a class moment.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:28 pm

stockbender, i do find it interesting that the one nation that is so very devoted to capitalism is also a nation that questions "how" someone makes their money. is that such a bad thing? could it be that by being sold to so often people are more acutely interested in authenticity?