Low-Fi Sound Using "MME/DirectX" Driver

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CTMobile DJ

Low-Fi Sound Using "MME/DirectX" Driver

Post by CTMobile DJ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:52 am

I can't seem to get a hi-fi sound (it's as if the audio is cutting out above 8 Khz or thereabouts) when using a "MME/DirectX" driver type, "(Microphone(USB Audio CODEC) DX" audio input, and "Speakers (USB Audio CDEC) DX" audio output device. The Buffer and Latency settings are OK, as I am not getting any dropouts. In the Windows OS, the Sound settings app for this USB Audio CODEC driver are set at "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz CD Quality)" in the Recording Tab>Advanced Tab window. This matches the Live Lite Audio Preferences Configuration setting of "44100" for In/Out Sample Rate.

I am running ver. 8.2.1 Live Lite on a Windows HP Pavilion laptop with Vista SP2, 1 GB RAM, and AMD Turion 64 chip. Any ideas?

dinaiz

Re: Low-Fi Sound Using "MME/DirectX" Driver

Post by dinaiz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 am

Why on earth do you need to use MME/DirectX driver ?? Can't you do with asio4all ? :)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:38 pm

What exactly are you listening to the audio on? 3 year old laptop speakers?
My advice... buy a new computer, buy some decent monitors, buy the full version of Live.

CTMobile DJ

Post by CTMobile DJ » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 am

You all make good points. Let me explain a little more.

I am new to this software, and the Live Lite version I am using came bundled with my M-Audio FastTrack Pro 2-channel audio input device (which uses its own ASIO driver). That works fine in Live Lite. However, I also have a Carvin CS844 Mixer, which has a USB output that allows you to record (just the stereo mix) to your PC. I want to be able to record directly from the Carvin to Live Lite (without using the M-Audio FastTrack Pro in-between). The only way I can pick up sound in Live Lite from the Carvin is by using the MME/DirectX driver option in Live Lite. Consequently, I am having issues with this method. My point is, if the MME/DirectX driver option is available in Live Lite, why doesn't it work? Is it something in my settings? If not, why does Live Lite make it available?

ark

Post by ark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:07 am

I think you are jumping to conclusions when you say that the MME/DirectX driver is the problem. Perhaps this particular mixer is simply not capable of producing the signal quality you want. Perhaps you have something else set up wrong.

Let me suggest a more methodical approach to troubleshooting. First: If you connect the audio outputs from your mixer to corresponding audio inputs of your FastTrack, and make a recording in Live with things set up that way, is the quality OK?

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 am

After doing ark's test, if you find out that you have the quality you desire using that method, and then reightfully deduce that the mixer itself is not in cause, you could use asio4all for both your carvin and the fasttrack. You can setup ASIO4ALL to use multiple devices (see this article for more information : http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/a ... sician.htm)

Then, you just need to select ASIO4ALL driver in live and you're done !

Hope this helps