Magnetic Man Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jedeye

Magnetic Man Live

Post by jedeye » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:53 pm

I saw these guys on Friday and it was a great show but a couple of things confused me. As i understand Benga, Skream & Artwork have separate jobs within the show, one is in charge of Beats, one Leads & Bass and the other Fx Vocals or something close to that. The thing i noticed was that nearly every song sounded exactly the same as it does on the album apart from one or two where they mixed the vocals from one track with beats from another. Is triggering pre made Loops on que considered Live?
Live 6, Sony Vaio Core Duo t2050, 1 gig Ram, Faderfox Lv2, E-MU 0404 external SC, Oxygen 8 keyboard, Kore, Komplete 4 .Korg Legacy.

Kunkyfunt

Re: Magnetic Man Live

Post by Kunkyfunt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Deadmau5 does the same, he does not call it DJing or playing live he just says its something inbetween. I used to do the same on my MC505. I used to say i played live, i certainly was not djing, but i was just remixing my own pre made loops. Is there a name for it?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Kunkyfunt wrote:Deadmau5 does the same, he does not call it DJing or playing live he just says its something inbetween. I used to do the same on my MC505. I used to say i played live, i certainly was not djing, but i was just remixing my own pre made loops. Is there a name for it?

sure it´s called fake live set and kills the business..bookers wonder why they shall pay for liveacts that are less live than the dj and play shorter for the same costs
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 pm

3phase wrote: less live than the dj
Huh? This doesn't make any sense, dude.

@Kunkyfunt: I'd call it DJing your own tunes. "Remixing [someone else's] pre-made loops" is what DJs do.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Lazos wrote:
3phase wrote: less live than the dj
Huh? This doesn't make any sense, dude.

@Kunkyfunt: I'd call it DJing your own tunes. "Remixing [someone else's] pre-made loops" is what DJs do.

a dj usually dont knows which track heshe will play in one hours time.. quite dfferent to fake live ste wher the planed track will play in one hours time even when the slip and break theire neck while having a pie inbetween..

i gues you are one of the "safety forst" guys?

howeverther are also fale dj´s that play a preplaned and eherased set just record after record.. or even worse use tractor for that.. but tehy still usually start the tracks manual what makes even that shady fake dj type more life than the live set fakers

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Sorry, your spelling is atrocious, so I can only comment on the stuff I can actually read.

Not a "safety forst" guy. I start with a completely blank live set nowadays.

FWIW, none of this really matters, dude, if the audience is enjoying it. Especially with DJs, I don't care one bit if they know what they are playing an hour or a minute before playing it. They have a job to do (very different than the job of most LIVE musical performances) and don't require the audience chin-stroking and critiquing while they do it.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Lazos wrote:Sorry, your spelling is atrocious, so I can only comment on the stuff I can actually read.

Not a "safety forst" guy. I start with a completely blank live set nowadays.

FWIW, none of this really matters, dude, if the audience is enjoying it. Especially with DJs, I don't care one bit if they know what they are playing an hour or a minute before playing it. They have a job to do (very different than the job of most LIVE musical performances) and don't require the audience chin-stroking and critiquing while they do it.
what a lame attitude, maybe you should consider a job at the bar or as runner

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 am

I posted this a while ago. Sorry if it's not so useful.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1196506

Kunkyfunt

Post by Kunkyfunt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:12 am

3phase, you obviously dont know how a mc505 works. It is much like session view, i used it alongside a little Akai sampler and triggered everything live. No one is saying that its live as a band would play, but bit surprised to hear you think its such a sin. How do most electronic bands do it live.................the same thing on a bigger scale.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

I think I get the point of 3phase for a change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference he's trying to make is, a DJ will do an organic set every single time and work with what the feeling of the room is doing. Someone like Deadmau5 is playing pre-made loops and remaining within the boundaries of his pre-made loops.

A DJ does not "Remixing [someone else's] pre-made loops". At all! He/She plays pre-made completed tracks.

For those DJ's out there who are going in to a gig with a pre-rehearsed set they are a joke and an embarrassment to themselves and other DJ's. People have such a low opinion of DJ's now because there are kids with no talent making a track list at home and trying to force feed it to a club.

A live set or Live PA as it used to be known as, had the band actually playing the leads and bass etc live, not just triggering clips - In fact, a Live PA would be criticised if they used a DAT or backing track and classed as 'not live'.

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:27 pm

I find it completley pathetic DJ's who even take records to a club with them. I mean its surely cheating as they will have practiced mixing these tracks loads of times before. Personally when im DJ'n i dont bring anything with me, I dont even use decks! I just stand there and let the organic energy of the room help me create a tour-de-force of cultured sound. Not like these fakers!

Seriously boys get a grip, who gives a fuck if you planned a set or not, a DJ ALWAYS plans to some extent as they are limited to their record bag. If they are playing samples who cares, its a completly different type of DJ'ing and requires around the same skill as anyone DJ'ing. ie. very minimal skill.

DJ'ing is a piece of piss to do, but you get these pretenious wankers that claim there sooo skilled and play off the vibe in the room. Vibe? You mean a hundred people fucked out there faces looking for a good time, will basically dance to anything with a beat. Wow, amazing skill there!

Really, I'm sick to death of pretenious DJ's who think there god cos they can beat match a CD. Its not hard, infact you could teach anyone to beatmatch within 10 minutes. Half of DJ's cant even play a record unless its a special extended club edit. Its pathetic that people claim its cheating or fake to plan a set, or play samples on loop. Its exactly the same as any other type of DJ'ing, a piece of piss to do, its for having a good time not being a pretenious snob.

Pretentious DJ's can fuck off!

Kunkyfunt

Post by Kunkyfunt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Well for all the time i spend producing my own stuff on this thing, they should change the name from Live to Cheat as that seems the general opinion of some. I have never played in a club, only a few festivals and lots of smaller gigs a few years back. Seems Jtdj has not got his head up his arse unlike lots of others on here who should stick to Ableton dj forums, this one is for music and audio production.

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 pm

jtdj wrote:I find it completley pathetic DJ's who even take records to a club with them. I mean its surely cheating as they will have practiced mixing these tracks loads of times before. Personally when im DJ'n i dont bring anything with me, I dont even use decks! I just stand there and let the organic energy of the room help me create a tour-de-force of cultured sound. Not like these fakers!

Seriously boys get a grip, who gives a fuck if you planned a set or not, a DJ ALWAYS plans to some extent as they are limited to their record bag. If they are playing samples who cares, its a completly different type of DJ'ing and requires around the same skill as anyone DJ'ing. ie. very minimal skill.

DJ'ing is a piece of piss to do, but you get these pretenious wankers that claim there sooo skilled and play off the vibe in the room. Vibe? You mean a hundred people fucked out there faces looking for a good time, will basically dance to anything with a beat. Wow, amazing skill there!

Really, I'm sick to death of pretenious DJ's who think there god cos they can beat match a CD. Its not hard, infact you could teach anyone to beatmatch within 10 minutes. Half of DJ's cant even play a record unless its a special extended club edit. Its pathetic that people claim its cheating or fake to plan a set, or play samples on loop. Its exactly the same as any other type of DJ'ing, a piece of piss to do, its for having a good time not being a pretenious snob.

Pretentious DJ's can fuck off!
Well said.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Kunkyfunt wrote:Well for all the time i spend producing my own stuff on this thing, they should change the name from Live to Cheat as that seems the general opinion of some. I have never played in a club, only a few festivals and lots of smaller gigs a few years back. Seems Jtdj has not got his head up his arse unlike lots of others on here who should stick to Ableton dj forums, this one is for music and audio production.

I don't know. Jtdj seems to have a point about the pretentiousness of some djs (or possibly just some people's attitude toward djing in general).

I'm a musician that uses Live in live performance, and as I mentioned before, I start with a completely blank Live set and build up my tracks via live looping, clip slot recording, and live performance of Drum Racks. That's where I'm coming from. But I wouldn't expect everyone to use their music technology the same way as I do or call what someone else does "fake" or "cheating". Seriously, we are getting a whole lot of help from our music technology, so to call someone else's use of it cheating is the height of pretentiousness!

I don't think badly of musicians that plan sets and have pre-recorded loops ahead of time. It's about personal preference and what is possible on stage (especially if you perform solo like I do). This is especially pertinent given that some productions in the studio are extremely hard to translate to completely live on stage without prepared loops. I've decided to steer away from prepared loops for my music because that's my personal preference, not because I feel like someone like 3phase is in the audience and judging me for "cheating" or playing a "fake" set.

DJs have a place on this forum as much as musicians do, obviously. I don't really care if they remix someone else's pre-made loops or play pre-made completed tracks. That's not the point! They are there to get people to dance. When I go to a club where a dj is playing, I don't go to SEE the dj. I go to dance.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Technology has fuck all to do with being a DJ. Its the connection between the person playing the music and the crowd. A DJ gets a buzz from the crowd and makes the decision to play the next song, and then when he gets the reaction from that, he decides what to play next. Depending on how the crowd are reacting will define the next decision!

On a track by track basis!

"Pretentious" would be turning up at a club thinking you already know what the audience are going to do before you even start!

Now on the other hand, if you're doing a Live show/act/PA because you're only doing a 45ish minute set, you can get away with having a set list. But I think you'll find the best live performer's can read a crowd and decide which track would fit the mood best.

If you think you're so good you can make a faultless show in your bedroom, why are you on a forum and not travelling the world with this talent?