Compared to Reaper Live feels SO bloated!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mihai

Re: Compared to Reaper Live feels SO bloated!

Post by mihai » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 pm

i don't feel it's bloated at all. it still starts up in the same time and is as stable (8.2.1) as 7 was. on the other hand i'd probably not be happy if live came bundled with trials for nero, norton av, etc.

Neon Breath

Post by Neon Breath » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm

And then same people would moan that there's nothing in Live, that i too light and they don't have enough stuff for their money... Geeeee some are never happy... :roll: What, you want Live to have no FX, no instrument and no samples at all?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Live 8.2.1 update (NO SOUNDS) 223MB
Reaper 3.72 update 4.6MB

I am installing Live 8.2.1, downloaded the version without sounds, it's "updating" all my presets, and it's taking forever. Think I am going to CTRL-ALT-DELETE it, never use the preset sounds anyway.

When I say "bloated" I was referring to the general responsiveness of the program, loading, adding tracks from other sets, editing.
I like the devices and features, why would I buy the suite otherwise? The content is decidely MEH, when I am changing over to Windows 7 I am going to reduce the library by at least 2/3 it is getting out of control.

Yes Live does things Reaper doesn't, but Reaper does an good number of things Live doesn't, it even has a built-in scripting language to build your own FX, which is shocking considering how tiny the installer is.

guitardog247

Post by guitardog247 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I don't think it's fair to compare Ableton to "other" "daws"....... For most, it comes down to workflow. It may be that Live does just not suit your workflow which is fine. I actually use Sonar and Rewire Ableton Live as a slave. But only sometimes. For someone working by themselves and creating, Ableton just simply rocks, it's unbelievable for that.
But tracking a band, I would use Sonar or Reaper, the like......

I can understand Live is a little heavy on the cpu, and does come with a lot of sound etc.. But I , actually, wish it came with more sounds/instruments. Realize if you're not satisfied with the sounds you can create your own limitlessly with the built in instruments and sampler.

I think the gui/interface of Live is genius, and I can edit midi with speed and ease. Sonar makes me frustated as hell when trying to edit midi. I can't believe anyone would even use that program for midi, it's awful...

guitardog247

Post by guitardog247 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Drinking too many beers.......
Makes me bloated the next day..............

Fzang

Post by Fzang » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm

For me Live takes less than 10 seconds to start up, even when loading a pretty beefed session. Even if Reaper starts in 1/4th of a second, you're only 9 3/4th ahead. How much extra work could you possible get done in a little less than 10 seconds?

Neon Breath

Post by Neon Breath » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Fzang wrote:For me Live takes less than 10 seconds to start up, even when loading a pretty beefed session. Even if Reaper starts in 1/4th of a second, you're only 9 3/4th ahead. How much extra work could you possible get done in a little less than 10 seconds?
Yep me too. I really don't get it. What, people want Live to load up on a what, a nanosecond? Even if that was 25 seconds... Wow, breath and take a sip of tea or something!

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Well, I actually agree with the OP. Do keep in mind that he never said Live is bloated, he merely commented that it felt bloated to him in comparison to using Reaper. I can see where he's coming from since being very used to Live now I also gave Reaper a few tries this year and well, my impressions were completely the opposite. I kinda felt at a loss so to speak; certain aspects weren't as obvious to me as they were in Live and squeezing a sound out of Reaper also takes a little more effort.

Still; I do think that Reaper is pretty cutting edge in comparison. Take for example their ReaPlugs VST fx suite. Free of charge, good effects, and well.. Stuff like ReaStream (dump audio/midi data from one DAW across the network right to another DAW) is pretty amazing IMVHO.

And although its not 'Max for Live' so to speak Reaper sure had the right idea as well with ReaJS (user editable / programmable effect processor). Then again; so had Renoise so it seems...
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

ShelLuser wrote: he never said Live is bloated, he merely commented that it felt bloated to him in comparison to using Reaper.
this

DeyBwah

Post by DeyBwah » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm brand new to Live, been using REAPER. I'm also noticing Live chugs during seemingly regular tasks, like drag/drop into main window. I'm running a i7 930, 12GB RAM, W7 64-bit machine.

I don't mind the chugging as much as the hangs I've experienced, but this was during my initial set up, searching for VSTs. BTW, it took FOREVER to do that.

Anyway, I hope to get up and running and I agree that you can't really compare REAPER to Live as they are different beasts.

I started my own first post thread, if anyone has some tips for a newcomer, please chime in!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1218359

Dey