MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ttaralli
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: New York City

MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by ttaralli » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 pm

I have a MacBook Pro that's Internal HD is FULL. Looking to upgrade the drive and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I'm using the laptop live and probably need a 500 GB HD. any recommended brands, models, RPM speeds etc... Thanks in advance I'm a novice when it comes to Hard drives.

Hei©o
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 am
Location: Croatia

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Hei©o » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm

hmm, do you want to switch it with the bigger one or just add an external hdd?

if i`m not mistaken, MB Pro`s have an Hiatchi HDD`s in them, 5400 rpm by default. it would be wise to upgrade it with faster one (7200rpm), since u r upgrading it. i belive 500 GB would be enough? :)
keep an eye on cache size too, the bigger the better.
Image

oblique strategies
Posts: 3585
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:19 pm

It would be wise for you to store some of your data on another storage medium at least temporarily. Filling up a hard drive can cause a variety of problems, including data corruption if you really fill it to the max!

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by BoddAH » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Western Digital is the most reliable brand, and reliability is the most important caracteristic for hard drives. Get the model that suits your needs the best (price/size/performance). Keep in mind that faster drives use more power and produce more heat which can reduce battery life and cause overheating issues (laptop HDDs are slower than desktop for a reason).

Oh and whatever you do avoid seagate like the plague.

Akshara
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Akshara » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

ttaralli wrote:I have a MacBook Pro that's Internal HD is FULL. Looking to upgrade the drive and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I'm using the laptop live and probably need a 500 GB HD. any recommended brands, models, RPM speeds etc... Thanks in advance I'm a novice when it comes to Hard drives.
Hitachi 7K500 DIY Upgrade Kit
iFixit.com Macbook Pro Repair Guides (for installing drive replacement)

Notes...

- Buy the recommended tools from iFixit.com, don't skip on these or try to do it with stuff around the house.
- With Western Digital and Seagate, avoid the "Green" drives or models which spin down often.
- Apple often uses Hitachi drives in their base MBP models.

Hei©o
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 am
Location: Croatia

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Hei©o » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:11 pm

BoddAH wrote:Oh and whatever you do avoid seagate like the plague.
man it depends, i had 2 WD and one Seagate, Seagate is still running... :!: who knows....

matter of heating at higher rpms, as you can order MB Pro with 7200rpm hdd from the factory, i suppose its safe.... :|
Image

hacktheplanet
Posts: 2846
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Akshara wrote:
ttaralli wrote:I have a MacBook Pro that's Internal HD is FULL. Looking to upgrade the drive and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I'm using the laptop live and probably need a 500 GB HD. any recommended brands, models, RPM speeds etc... Thanks in advance I'm a novice when it comes to Hard drives.
Hitachi 7K500 DIY Upgrade Kit
iFixit.com Macbook Pro Repair Guides (for installing drive replacement)

Notes...

- Buy the recommended tools from iFixit.com, don't skip on these or try to do it with stuff around the house.
- With Western Digital and Seagate, avoid the "Green" drives or models which spin down often.
- Apple often uses Hitachi drives in their base MBP models.
Quotin' dis.
Image

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 am

Been looking at getting a larger drive myself. Researching the crap out of it! :)

Hitachi were sited as having the least amount of issues based on pure hardware failure by a Russian hard drive recovery service with over 2,000 drives serviced. The 200GB in my laptop has over 8,000 hours with no issues. Thanks to the Russian service for not being afraid to post this.

Western Digital still has the fastest over all laptop HD with the Scorpio Black 320GB model. WD is a close second in reliability.
The 500GB model still beats out Seagate and Hitachi in over all speed.

Largest capacity and fastest goes to Samsung with 640GB 7200rpm drive out now. <-- specs say this is in the running for fastest too. Also pretty reliable.

Seagate although not as reliable over all as the other three have a hybrid drive that outperforms the others with the Momentus XT, although there's the distinct possibility of some issues with OSX/macbooks. The Seagate forums have a lot of people complaining about random slow downs even after a fix from Seagate was released. On the other hand Seagate expose themselves to the public which I don't see Western Digital doing, in fact WD often does not post spindle speed for certain "green" and "blue" HDs....

squelcht
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by squelcht » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 am

Momentus 7200 ftw

oblique strategies
Posts: 3585
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Been looking at getting a larger drive myself. Researching the crap out of it! :)

Hitachi were sited as having the least amount of issues based on pure hardware failure by a Russian hard drive recovery service with over 2,000 drives serviced. The 200GB in my laptop has over 8,000 hours with no issues. Thanks to the Russian service for not being afraid to post this.

Western Digital still has the fastest over all laptop HD with the Scorpio Black 320GB model. WD is a close second in reliability.
The 500GB model still beats out Seagate and Hitachi in over all speed.

Largest capacity and fastest goes to Samsung with 640GB 7200rpm drive out now. <-- specs say this is in the running for fastest too. Also pretty reliable.

Seagate although not as reliable over all as the other three have a hybrid drive that outperforms the others with the Momentus XT, although there's the distinct possibility of some issues with OSX/macbooks. The Seagate forums have a lot of people complaining about random slow downs even after a fix from Seagate was released. On the other hand Seagate expose themselves to the public which I don't see Western Digital doing, in fact WD often does not post spindle speed for certain "green" and "blue" HDs....
Thanks for sharing your research. Have you also researched the noise levels of these drives - which of these drives are the quietest?

ikarys
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 6:01 am

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by ikarys » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 am

In my 2010 MBP 17", I have a 120gig SSD by OCZ. It was really worth it. All my music apps are on it and are fast!

The boot time from off is about 20 seconds, and the resume from sleep mode is about 2-3 seconds.
2-3 seconds, then I can be surfing the web. It's amazingly quick! Best upgrade I have done to any computer.

Anything extra I have on external USB powered Western Digital HHDs (including time machine).

I just nabbed a WD 750gig for about 100 clams AUD, but you can get them in the terrabyte range, and probably cheaper.
Ableton Suite 8.2, APC40, Novation ZeRO SL MkII, Maschine, Keyrig49

steko
Posts: 3391
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by steko » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 am

oblique strategies wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Been looking at getting a larger drive myself. Researching the crap out of it! :)

Hitachi were sited as having the least amount of issues based on pure hardware failure by a Russian hard drive recovery service with over 2,000 drives serviced. The 200GB in my laptop has over 8,000 hours with no issues. Thanks to the Russian service for not being afraid to post this.

Western Digital still has the fastest over all laptop HD with the Scorpio Black 320GB model. WD is a close second in reliability.
The 500GB model still beats out Seagate and Hitachi in over all speed.

Largest capacity and fastest goes to Samsung with 640GB 7200rpm drive out now. <-- specs say this is in the running for fastest too. Also pretty reliable.

Seagate although not as reliable over all as the other three have a hybrid drive that outperforms the others with the Momentus XT, although there's the distinct possibility of some issues with OSX/macbooks. The Seagate forums have a lot of people complaining about random slow downs even after a fix from Seagate was released. On the other hand Seagate expose themselves to the public which I don't see Western Digital doing, in fact WD often does not post spindle speed for certain "green" and "blue" HDs....
Thanks for sharing your research. Have you also researched the noise levels of these drives - which of these drives are the quietest?
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 6#p1099356

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage- ... 200_4.html
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

atemkunde
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 am

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by atemkunde » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:54 am

if you want to change your internal drive i would go with this one:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seag ... hybrid-hdd

its a 7200rpm hybrid drive... meaning you have a little SSD cache...

but i would recommend let your drive you currently have be the system drive and put all your audio related files on an external fw800 drive from gtech:

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mini.cfm - the 7200rpm version of course

cheers

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 am

Heads up on this!! $65 for a Samsung 640GB 7200rpm laptop HD with decent specs!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152237

SSDs a couple years from now will be cheap enough, but a 640GB HD will always be useful IMO.

Not dure the hybrid is worth it for music?? The 4GB cache isn't going to remember much with 1-2GB Live Sets. It's literally twice as expensive as the same specced Seagate without the flash drive.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: MacBook Pro Hardrive Question

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:44 am

oblique strategies wrote: Thanks for sharing your research. Have you also researched the noise levels of these drives - which of these drives are the quietest?
Noise level for laptop HDs hasn't ever been much of an issue for me so I haven't. I'm using a 7200 Hitachi 200GB currently.

Post Reply