Best tutorial for complete beginner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sprooz

Best tutorial for complete beginner

Post by sprooz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

Hello everyone,

I am a complete newbie to Ableton and I m looking for the best tutorial to learn the basics...
My goal is to produce tunes like Daft Punk or Justice...
I dont want to go through random tutorials, and would like to focus on specific tutorials in order to achieve my goal as fast as possible...

littlepig

Re: Best tutorial for complete beginner

Post by littlepig » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm

The ones from Ableton.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:30 pm

It's called Manuals and it's free, besides learning how to use LIVE, you need to learn how to steal samples, fake shows,etc...that way you can achieve the goal of making music like Daft Punk and Justice.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:38 pm

One word of advice when you do play live make sure to plug in your controller...

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Ableton is a great tool but it is simply that- a tool. No house was ever built with just a hammer. Other tools are necessary and foreknowledge is crucial and beneficial. I would start with learning about the art of synthesis. Learn the fundamentals and building blocks of how synthesizers work. There are plenty of great videos and books available which will do wonders for you. Once you understand this then it won't matter how good you are with a program or a synth or plugin, the rules will still apply.

And BTW, those artists you want to produce like don't sound the way they do because of what equipment or techniques they use, they sound that way because it is their style and their sound.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

sprooz

Post by sprooz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:32 am

Thank you for all these replies, I actually think that Ableton manual and tutorial are a bit dry....since there is so much to learn I am trying to make the learning process fast, effective and enjoyable since I have already a job and a life :)
I think I will go for quantize courses...what guys do you think about that one?

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:12 am

sprooz wrote:Thank you for all these replies, I actually think that Ableton manual and tutorial are a bit dry....since there is so much to learn I am trying to make the learning process fast, effective and enjoyable since I have already a job and a life :)
It's up to you what you go for but I found the onboard tutorials to be excellent. It's amazing what you can learn in such a simple way.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 pm

sprooz wrote:Thank you for all these replies, I actually think that Ableton manual and tutorial are a bit dry....since there is so much to learn I am trying to make the learning process fast, effective and enjoyable since I have already a job and a life :)
The Quantize courses look to be an excellent option, if you have the money and time to invest in them; and the one-on-one interaction could be helpful, if you need someone available for questions.

I want to give one more push toward the macprovideo.com tutorials. If you have a good internet connection, then for $25 (for one month subscription, then cancel if you want) you get access to 16 hours of well produced, accessible tutorials (Live 8 101, 303, 402, 404, Live 7 102) which will get you up to speed very quickly. At least watch the first 10% of each tutorial for free, then decide. It doesn't matter if you are on Windows, as the information for Live is basically the same.

sprooz

Post by sprooz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 pm

these macprovideo tutorials look really great!!! but do you teach how to sample a track and work on it?

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:53 pm

One word - "YouTube". Not just Ableton specific clips, but a plethora of music production information at your disposal. I have spent hours just watching video after video with no real order to where I'm going, and when you come across something you like, try it out. I have one master track in Live I have titled "Everything". This will NEVER be released or heard by the public, but anytime I find something new, I go into my "Everything" project and add to it, or spice up something that already exists there. Tutorials are gonna give you ideas, but in reality, you're gonna make better music if you absorb the knowledge and let the music flow from there.

yearlongyeti

Post by yearlongyeti » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 am

hi try www.cosm.co.nz Tom's page has some great ideas for beginners, Not really on how to build your own sounds but its a pretty good place to start.

Neon Breath

Post by Neon Breath » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 am

cosmosuave wrote:One word of advice when you do play live make sure to plug in your controller...

Man you made my day hahahaha! :lol:

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 am

As you are into french artists I'd recommend these french tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoaS8H76J2s

I haven't come across any other tutorial that show how to do these kind of sounds yet... If anyone else can recommend any, please do!
Recommendez des autres tutoriels svp!

sprooz

Post by sprooz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 am

Yes this french tutorial looks really awesome...
I know many things are on you tube....including too many things I am not planning to use at the moment...that s why I m trying to find a place where most of the things I need are in order to make some time...
I certainly need to know how to manipulate a sample from a track effectively...