ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metastatik

Re: ClyphX – simple (and free), Clip-based scripting language

Post by metastatik » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:53 am

The problem that mjc1970 was having is my fault. ClyphX is listed as being compatible with 8.1.3 or later, but this is incorrect. ClyphX requires 8.1.5 or later.

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. I’ll get this information updated ASAP.

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Hey Stray,

This is a brilliant demonstration of how MIDI remote scripting can be used to leverage the potential of the Live API. It also demonstrates your mastery and ability to think outside the box - excellent work man (and thanks for sharing)!

Best regards,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi Hanz,

Thanks for the kind words and for the inspirational work you’ve done with remote scripts. Your blog is an incredibly useful resource for anyone looking to get into writing scripts and is much appreciated.

Best,

Stray

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm

A new version is available and a Video Overview has been posted.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 am

great stuff
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

broc

Post by broc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am

So I've just checked 'metro on' and 'metro off' on 2 different clips with 1 bar quantization.
It turns out that there is a delay of 1 beat when the clips are triggered, i.e. metro doesn't start on the first beat when switched on.
Am I doing something wrong or is this an inherent timing problem?

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 am

If you turned on the metronome on a downbeat (with an X-Clip or by hand), you wouldn’t hear that downbeat. You’d need to turn on the metronome prior to the downbeat in order for it to be audible. There is a 1-tick delay on all actions however. I’ll try to clarify this in the documentation. Thanks for pointing it out.

zahnerj

Post by zahnerj » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:52 am

Hey this looks really awesome, I have one question. Im not too computer smart, but i have the apc 40 and would like to be able to loop a track in real time, like just be playing the song and press a button to half it as many times as i want. Is that possible with this? :|

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:24 am

zahnerj wrote:Hey this looks really awesome, I have one question. Im not too computer smart, but i have the apc 40 and would like to be able to loop a track in real time, like just be playing the song and press a button to half it as many times as i want. Is that possible with this? :|
trying to emulate a beat repeat looper that DOESN't keep playing the track in the background?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:27 am

Exelent as usual, Stray!
Just saw the video. This can come in very handy. I especially dig the snap shot function. Exelent for live performance, and its similare to that thing which Richie Hawtin uses, isnt it?

Ps. Have you ever thought about working for Ableton?

Thanks!

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 pm

hey this looks really awesome, I have one question. Im not too computer smart, but i have the apc 40 and would like to be able to loop a track in real time, like just be playing the song and press a button to half it as many times as i want. Is that possible with this?
Yes, that’s possible with ClyphX and the associated example set includes an example of this function. If you haven’t already, please try downloading ClyphX with the example set and give it a go.
Exelent as usual, Stray!
Just saw the video. This can come in very handy. I especially dig the snap shot function. Exelent for live performance, and its similare to that thing which Richie Hawtin uses, isnt it?

Ps. Have you ever thought about working for Ableton?

Thanks!
Thanks. I think the snapshot function is similar to the Kapture device for M4L, but can’t say for sure as I don’t have M4L here. On a related note, I recently updated ClyphX to include multiple track snapshots and some other goodies.

I’d love to work for Ableton in the future and I’m currently studying various programming languages and trying to gain more experience to prepare for that. ClyphX is part of that process and I hope to have more utilities like it to share as I move forward.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 am

outstanding, the snap funtion is amaising. instant recall of presets without reloading the device. 8) awesome work.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 pm

is it possible to create a clip to increase/decrease the tempo smoothly from current tempo to a new tempo?

eg

say current tempo is 110bpm
click on clip that says something like 'move smoothly to 139bpm over 2 seconds'

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:18 pm

globalgoon wrote:is it possible to create a clip to increase/decrease the tempo smoothly from current tempo to a new tempo?

eg

say current tempo is 110bpm
click on clip that says something like 'move smoothly to 139bpm over 2 seconds'
i presume you could either loop the +1 bpm and use a follow action to stop the clip after a certain length of time/measure or use a run of clips with follow actions.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 pm

metastatik wrote:I’d love to work for Ableton in the future and I’m currently studying various programming languages and trying to gain more experience to prepare for that. ClyphX is part of that process and I hope to have more utilities like it to share as I move forward.
A lot of people here would like you to do so also. Why don't you apply? :)