ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metastatik

Re: ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 (and Live 7 too)

Post by metastatik » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 am

On would be 127, off would be 0. You could also use > for on (like DEV B2 P1 >) and < for off. I’ll try to clarify this in the manual because it’s a bit vague.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for your response, Yes I have tried it without a value after the p1 (assuming it will toggle the current value). Ah, the ><, which I only understood as increase/decrease operators. . I'll give that a go. When I tried engaging it with a continuous controller in native control, it turned on at value 0, not 127; I'll see what that's about. What I will do when I get over to my studio today, is simply to test an x-clip on a track without other devices and a stand-alone compressor. See if I can isolate the syntax problem.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

using "<" did the trick.

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Anyone have a video showing this script implemented and in use? Kinda curious...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 pm

The guy who makes it has videos posted. It's free, ale your curiosity and try it.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Im just another end-user, but if youre referring to this last script, I can send a snapshot-I don't have much screencast experience-just realize that this community has yet to identify universal tricks for clyphx: people's session layouts are unique, as are their areas of interest. And you can already copy paste what I wrote above.

I recommend reevaluating your limits in live by starting with routing-which would not be automatable otherwise-and simply asking yourself "wouldn't it be nice if…"

Then get the hang of SNAP and consider which mixer parameters you tend to ride manually and which you feel like you could use an extra hand on. Do you like to dial in certain values or do you enjoy mixing things up? RND might be your friend. You can look into iPhone alternatives, like capturepad, but in my opinion they're unreliable compared to a solid controller like a pedal board and clyphx. I've already written about this.

If you're a sequencing/midi person rather than a big warper, you'll need to hear from others on all the options for cuing and getting inside the clip. That's where my brain leaves off.

then start in natural language the steps you Woukd go about to achieve it. Make note of the decisions you would still need to make-which in themselves could be the result of a chain of events (pseq) or (lseq) or would otherwise need to remain an action on your part.

This is the rudiments of an algorithm. Then find the correct terms in the manual for making them happen. Use a text editor as a scratch pad-the rename feature in live clips won't make your life easier. Once you get the x-clip version of your actions working then you can easily reconsider whether it would best function as an x-control or an x-cue (in a locator). You might find that a controller with some selecting and banking capabilities (whether mackie or the new sponsored akais/pads) is the way to go or find a way to implement these capabilities on your own controller in another thread.

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Looks good, downloading now.

Is it possible to use in conjunction with LPC-Live? edit: I'm sure it is, just wondering if anyone has tried or if it requires any special install instances.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:39 pm

bumpo..
this should be fully featured in Live...

Ableton.. endorse this !
(in any case I'll do my best to make this a 'sticky' ...)

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Remember when you'd go to try something new and the answer would always be "you need max4live to do that"

... now it's ClyphX

Pipotron4000

Post by Pipotron4000 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks, i will try this script soon :wink:

Max4Live pushed Ableton in the right direction, improving the API and normalizing it.
So if we can get such an improved python API interface, it is partially due to Max4Live...and APC/LPad of course :mrgreen:

There was a "gap" in python scripting alternative dev, due to APC/LP and M4L.
But now, i think python scripts will revive soon ;)

barstu

Post by barstu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi I've having trouble getting nK Midi to work in 2.0.2

I am trying to use the example set. I've added an external instrument into the "nK MIDI - Subtractor" rack. Should I expect to see yellow lights light up in the external instrument channel indicator? I've tried using midi monitor to monitor all possible ports and I can't see anything happening. I've also tried the motif rack and no yellow lights. All other macrobat stuff works such as track control.

I'm hoping I can put a midi rack on an empty midi channel and have CC data generated. Is this what is meant to happen with this device?

Thanks

BTW CLYPHX is awesome!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:28 am

I know this sounds simple but are you selecting a second rack and then re-selecting the first one to commit the changes?

barstu

Post by barstu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:36 am

Yes I've tried that.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 pm

In order to use MIDI racks, you need to select an Output port for the ClyphX control surface. This is the port that the MIDI data generated from MIDI racks will be sent to. There’s more info on this, as well as your options in terms of routing the data, in Macrobat’s manual. I hope that clarifies it.

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Many thanks that works. you know I did wonder how you managed to get a rack to generate midi down a channel, all makes sense now. I've just spotted it in the manual, sorry don't know how I overlooked that.

I have another question. Am I right in saying the 'out' track action will not work for group and return tracks?