ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metastatik

ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Post by metastatik » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm

ClyphX is a MIDI Remote Script for Live 8.2.2 or later that provides an extensive list of Actions related to controlling different aspects of Live. These Actions can be accessed via X-Triggers (Session View Clips, Arrange View Locators or MIDI Controls). Each X-Trigger can trigger a single Action or a list of Actions.

As an example, a simple Action might be OVER, which will toggle Overdub on/off. A more complex Action List mute Tracks 1 – 2, unmute and arm Track 4, turn the 2nd Device on Track 4 on and launch the selected Clip on Track 4: 1/MUTE ON; 2/MUTE ON; 4/MUTE OFF; 4/ARM ON; 4/DEV2 ON; 4/PLAY

ClyphX also includes a component called Macrobat that adds new functionality to Racks in Live such as the ability to control Track mixer parameters or send MIDI messages from Rack Macros.

ClyphX also includes extra preference options for changing some of Live’s default behaviors such as the ability to choose to have Track’s automatically Arm upon selection.

I’m posting this LINK to the related thread on my forum as this is where the version history and updates will be posted. You do not need to register in order to download ClyphX.

If you're using Live 7.0.18, see ClyphX7.

NOTE: Some of the links elsewhere in this thread are out of date. You can find up-to-date info on ClyphX at the ClyphX section of my forum.

Best,

Stray
Last edited by metastatik on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

chapelier fou

Re: ClyphX – simple (and free), Clip-based scripting language

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm

not sure to really understand. The aim is to perform a sery of actions by launching a clip ?
That can be very interesting.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow just read the description. this looks amazing !!
One thing comes immediatly to my mind, and i've been asking it for years : select on launch should be clip-specific !
Can't wait to try it. Touring for now...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 pm

I just tried it and I think I found a bug (PC).
I dragged your demo.als-file into a empty set and renamed the miditrack to CX. When I play the midiclip named "Metro Off; Over On ; RQ 1/32 ; GQ 2 Bars" the 'CX.'-track gets renamed to 'RQ 1/32' and the scripts won't work anymore unless I rename the track again.

Also, your description where to save the clyphX folder on a PC is wrong... you need to extract the folder to "...Ableton\Live 8.XX\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts"

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:52 pm

You shouldn’t rename the track in the Example set, it’s already set up. You can just launch the clips on it. When you’re ready to use ClyphX with another set, then you would insert a MIDI track and name it.

FWIW, ClyphX Info.pdf does state that the folder should go in Live’s MIDI Remote Script directory and indicates where this directory is located on each OS.

Thanks for pointing these things out. I’ll see if I can clarify them in the documentation.

As far as clip-specific select on launch, ClyphX couldn’t currently be used to do this as the clips that run these scripts can only exist on one track (they can control other tracks, clips and devices in your set though). I'm still working on a solution to run scripts from any clip in the set.

Best,

Stray

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Ok I got it running when opening the demo-als itself but it won't work when you pull the demo file into an existing set... maybe you wanna check if you can reproduce that bug?

Thanks, looks promising!

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for this, its going to be very useful to fill a few gaps in my control of Ableton.
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 am

Ok I got it running when opening the demo-als itself but it won't work when you pull the demo file into an existing set... maybe you wanna check if you can reproduce that bug?
I’m not able to reproduce. You’re just dragging the track in, not renaming it, correct? Either way, are you able to create new ClyphX Tracks in your set? To do that, insert a MIDI track and name it ‘cx.’ or ‘clyphx’.

Once you do that, you should see the name change to ‘CLYPHX [ON]’. Let me know if you can at least get that far.

flippo

Post by flippo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:31 am

fantastic work! This should be much more elegant than the midi yoke routing, thanks man!

2be

Post by 2be » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:38 am

Had a few minutes with it and I am already amazed. Thank you!
It would be fantastic if you made it possible to control the macro knobs of rack devices.

Also, how would you just select a specific clip in a specific track - and not launch it? Is there a way?

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 am

awesome, i will test it tonight
thanks
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:48 pm

It would be fantastic if you made it possible to control the macro knobs of rack devices.
Added in v1.0.1.
Also, how would you just select a specific clip in a specific track - and not launch it? Is there a way?
There is with v1.0.1. For example, ‘1/SEL 10’ will select the 10th clip slot on Track 1.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The new version also fixes a bug with Track I/O names and adds some other features as well. You can download from the same LINK.

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Been using this for a couple of days now and it really is very usefull.

Very easy to work with, just scan the pdf to see what it could help you with.

Thanks again metastatik
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm

The example set file has a .alp.gz extension. Is this a compressed file?
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:59 pm

The example set is just an *.alp file. It looks like some browsers on OS X add the *.gz extension. You should be able to extract by just double-clicking on the *.gz file. Let me know if that isn’t the case.