What operating system do you use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What OS do you use with Live?

Windows XP
15%
Windows Vista
5%
Windows 7
33%
OSX 10.4
No votes
OSX 10.5
9%
OSX 10.6
39%
Some esoteric Linux hack
No votes

Total votes: 171

H20nly

Re: What operating system do you use?

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 am

^ and it still works well, is highly configurable and there's a wealth of knowledge and tried and true apps and tweaks for free or next to nothing for it. its far from dead. my main DAW is XP and since Live 8.1.2 there are no problems on it... granted its not used for surfing the web or playing games either... just music.

i use Win 7 on my laptop and when my main DAW's motherboard dies I will probably go that route, but i hardly see the need to take something that works great and upgrade it for the sake of spending money or worse... bragging about having the latest and greatest tool... err, i mean OS.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Neon Breath

Post by Neon Breath » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 am

H20nly wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:OSX 10.6

Works solid like a Bentley
with a similar pricing scheme.
Here we go again... :roll:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 pm

H20nly wrote:^ and it still works well, is highly configurable and there's a wealth of knowledge and tried and true apps and tweaks for free or next to nothing for it. its far from dead. my main DAW is XP and since Live 8.1.2 there are no problems on it... granted its not used for surfing the web or playing games either... just music.

i use Win 7 on my laptop and when my main DAW's motherboard dies I will probably go that route, but i hardly see the need to take something that works great and upgrade it for the sake of spending money or worse... bragging about having the latest and greatest tool... err, i mean OS.
as said, never touch a running system (except if you want to learn new stuff, obviously).

my "i want xp to die" is mostly a) managing, xp is much worse to work with than win7 for deployment, software deployment, actual configuration, and usability for users, so every typical win, internet, office station gets upgraded if i have the chance :) and b) i never want anyone to install xp on a new machine that did not have it by default. there is no "it's more stable, more wellknown and all that" on the new machine anymore. every machine has one os most well known: the one it's sold with. drivers are made for this os and hw combination.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 pm

No idea what any of you are talking about really, too busy making music.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm

UKRuss wrote:No idea what any of you are talking about really, too busy making music.
as long as you have time to read the stuff here, and post, no, sir, you're lying

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Fzang wrote:I'm amazed by the amount of people still using XP. That OS should die already.
XP/32 is actually very good compared to vista (and to lesser extent Win7) for audio drivers.
DPC latency on my PC is between 6 and 25us. On win 7/64 its between 100-120us with exactly the same hardwrae enabled and equivalant drivers.

The reason I evenually switched to Win7/64 were to get more memory available and because its a supported OS even if the end result meant I had to stop using my mLan audio interface (insert my annual 'Yamaha go f*** yourselves' rant).

Overall performance wise, its identical to XP unless I realy push the machine, in which case XP does out-perfrom Win7 in terms of being able to get glich free audio at much higher CPU use. In terms of general feature relevence to using Live - it has pretty much nothing to offer at all.

Thankfully Im using it on a very fast i7 PC desktop, however my experiences using win7 and vista it on a much slower PC were far less favourable - all that extra driver overhead was magnified. Vista of course I found to be completely useless and utterly unusuable on a laptop without some very major install tweaking.

I guess most people use Win7 now because either thats what came with the PC, or because they had to make the transition at some time and it became usuable (rather than better). Meanwhile, still waiting to finally be able to see what 64 bit native audio production is like on these things - Ableton, Cycling and plugin authors - get yr fingers out!!!!!!
Nothing to see here - move along!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm

davepermen wrote:
UKRuss wrote:No idea what any of you are talking about really, too busy making music.
as long as you have time to read the stuff here, and post, no, sir, you're lying
Not lying. 'working'.

I also browse this forum regularly while playing the guitar and writing music thanks. In the old days, difficult for you computer kids to remember, we made music without computers.

It reminds me of the old school guitar forums, all talk about the expensive guitars and the FX and the amps...not a clue how to play one. :lol:

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Mac OS X.6.4.......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

NRJay

Post by NRJay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Win 7 and absolutely loving it!

I had some weird keyboard lag on XP, rendering it useless.
Since I installed Win 7, all my troubles are gone!
So I recommend it.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:01 am

UKRuss wrote:
davepermen wrote:
Not lying. 'working'.

I also browse this forum regularly while playing the guitar and writing music thanks. In the old days, difficult for you computer kids to remember, we made music without computers.

It reminds me of the old school guitar forums, all talk about the expensive guitars and the FX and the amps...not a clue how to play one. :lol:
hm how do you browse while playing the guitar? so far, i used both hands to play on my guitar. you have a mouse on the floor, controlled with your feet?

would sure make a great video :)

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am

I use windows 7 - 64bit. I dont particularly like it, it's just there. So far no trouble. However, the thing I like is the overclocked i7 workstation that win7 is running on. 600$, half a day to build and overclock to 3.8ghz on air. Amazing.

I also built a phenom x6 workstation, overclocked it past 4ghz just for fun. its 20% faster than the overclocked i7 with raytracing renders. 540$. Faster than any 2009 octocore mac pro. 540$!!

But the best thing for Live is my 30inch Dell screen. Nothing beat working at 2560 x 1600.

Yeah... a good chair and a good screen. This is the most important. Ho, and a wacom tablet.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:32 am

still waiting to get my own 30" screen :( i can't wait.

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:10 am

Win 7 on the desktop "power" machine, OSX 10.6 on the laptop.

No complaints about either, they're both stable and do what I want them to do.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Earwax69 wrote:I use windows 7 - 64bit. I dont particularly like it, it's just there. So far no trouble. However, the thing I like is the overclocked i7 workstation that win7 is running on. 600$, half a day to build and overclock to 3.8ghz on air. Amazing.

I also built a phenom x6 workstation, overclocked it past 4ghz just for fun. its 20% faster than the overclocked i7 with raytracing renders. 540$. Faster than any 2009 octocore mac pro. 540$!!

But the best thing for Live is my 30inch Dell screen. Nothing beat working at 2560 x 1600.

Yeah... a good chair and a good screen. This is the most important. Ho, and a wacom tablet.
so exactly how loud are these? if you build them for 550-600 surely you didnt spend much money on noise-reduciton, did you?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm

friend_kami wrote:
Earwax69 wrote:I use windows 7 - 64bit. I dont particularly like it, it's just there. So far no trouble. However, the thing I like is the overclocked i7 workstation that win7 is running on. 600$, half a day to build and overclock to 3.8ghz on air. Amazing.

so exactly how loud are these? if you build them for 550-600 surely you didnt spend much money on noise-reduciton, did you?

seriously? is this the new justification of being raped up the ass you apple lovers are going with? PCs may be faster and cheaper, but at least our Macs are silent. if that's the case, that's fucking pathetic!