All what is especially good with Ableton Live, Collection

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: All what is especially good with Ableton Live, Collection

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 am

35. realtime freezing of external instruments and effects..
36. a compressor that made me understand compression..
37. despite it's simplistic appearance Live keeps surprising me with solutions and options for creative experiments I didn't expect to find..

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am

38. Impulse: does a lot, if not all, in a very compact package..

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 am

39. Fantastic groove engine with groove pool and groove manipulation/extraction from audio/midi clips (Live 8 only)

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

40. the device lane.. while arguably cramped at times it just beats every other way of device chain handling..

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 am

41. freeze > drop frozen clip to other audio track: easy and fast bouncing of material for further processing..

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am

42. the way you visually integrate external hardware into the device chain with the External Instrument/Effect devices.. even all on 1 track for in/out..
43. freeze/flatten creates perfect doubled loops to not cut off audio 'tails'..
Last edited by Poster on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:47 am

44. dragging a note outside of the loop range, at both the start and the end of the loop, results in a endless sustained note..
45. stretch MIDI notes..

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am

oxygen23 wrote:34. Drag'n'drop workflow..You can drag'n'drop everything!!! :wink:
Drag 'n Drop is God !!!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm

46. Instrument (and FX) rack grouping and layering

I think this one is one of the most unique and creative potentials of Live..It really separates men from the boys :mrgreen:

8)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm

46 +1, it allows to build anything. it's like the LEGO of sound. which is why i like the very simple effects they have. simple, but nice to combine.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:23 pm

47. very modular design. eg when Sampler and the EIC was introduced they could have buried the concept of a Key Release Sample inside Sampler but instead they gave us the Note Length effect.

48. intelligent sample pre-loading. Load a massive sampled piano onto a track that only plays a few notes and Live will preload just the samples for the note and velocity levels that it knows it needs - so clips can be launched instantly without hitting the disk. (If only it could trace this from track to track when routing MIDI internally it would be double plus good)
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:42 pm

49 - I don't really use it anymore but the ReWire implementation using an External Instrument is very easy and well designed.

50 - Slice to midi is quite brilliant - especially with some custom algo's (such as those supplied by the CovOps)
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am

oxygen23 wrote:39. Fantastic groove engine with groove pool and groove manipulation/extraction from audio/midi clips (Live 8 only)
it just dont works automatical.. and its an feature other daws have since the last century ...

this defently not one of ableton lives strong points .

The feature is standard and the automatic extraction faulty ...

this only works for groove extraction on midi clips not on audio clips..ther you have to do it by hand..

Hower good that it finaly arrived in the year 2009 AD ..around 12 years after it aperaed in logoc on the audio side and after 23 years it had apeared in midi workstations...

brand new..good for you
Last edited by 3phase on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 am

3phase wrote:
oxygen23 wrote:39. Fantastic groove engine with groove pool and groove manipulation/extraction from audio/midi clips (Live 8 only)
it just dont works autonatical.. and its an feature other daws have since the last century ...

this defentky not one of ableton lives strong points .

this only works for groove extraction on midi clips not on audio clips..ther you have to do it by hand..

Hower good that it finaly arrived in the year 2009 AD ..around 12 years after it aperaed in logoc on the audio side and after 23 years it had apeared in midi workstations...

brand new..good for you
well..since I am working on Logic since Emagic's Logic Gold 4.5, I think I am aware of groove feature pretty much..

To my taste Live's groove engine is better than Logic's although it was implemented in Notator (not sure for Creator, before that, though) for Atari and for MIDI it didn't change much in Logic..

'Till this day, I still find Live's audio warping and slicing possibilities (and so groove exctraction) better implemented than Logic's Flex audio which is presented in L9, together with some better groove extraction..
That's my opinion,and I am sorry if it's not same as yours, but that's the beauty of different tastes :wink:

Greetz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:50 am

oxygen23 wrote:
3phase wrote:
it just dont works autonatical.. and its an feature other daws have since the last century ...

this defentky not one of ableton lives strong points .

brand new..good for you
well..since I am working on Logic since Emagic's Logic Gold 4.5, I think I am aware of groove feature pretty much..

To my taste Live's groove engine is better than Logic's although it was implemented in Notator (not sure for Creator, before that, though) for Atari and for MIDI it didn't change much in Logic..

'Till this day, I still find Live's audio warping and slicing possibilities (and so groove exctraction) better implemented than Logic's Flex audio which is presented in L9, together with some better groove extraction..
That's my opinion,and I am sorry if it's not same as yours, but that's the beauty of different tastes :wink:

Greetz
no..same opinion here..the elastic audio is very good implemented in ableton live.. only melodyne can beat that..especially with sound quality...

but to mark especialy good points we can mention the elastic audio but not the groovee extraction/ templates..

as said.. the extraction has an economy implementtion that avoided an own algorythm for the extraction of groove points..they just use the auto warp algo... so its a halfbaked implementation again.
And the feature itself is an age old daw standard on the midi side and even very old on the audio side..

all major daw´s have this fuctionality since before live even has started...

so its not a strong point..It was a week point up to L8...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,