Pro Tools 9 or Logic Pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave999z

Pro Tools 9 or Logic Pro?

Post by dave999z » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 am

Why am I asking this question here on the Live forum? Because you people know what the hell you're talking about.

I am going to get one of the above (or Cubase, though probably not Cubase) to use for more linear writing and recording. still will use live for electronic / loop-based stuff. but for just plain rock song writing, i have never really loved live's arrangement view.

Via some maneuvers, I could get PT9 for $340, including the needed iLok doohickey.

logic is $500.

my general habit is to try not to use instruments that are built-in and welded to a DAW. I don't really use Live's instruments, and I probably wouldn't use Logic's. I try to just use the instruments from Komplete, because they can go with me from DAW to DAW, as long as NI stays in business. (Still feeling stung by Bitheadz, remember them? ANYWAY...) I know one way Logic is a way better value than protools is all the included instruments and content. but i don't think i'd use that very much.

i do however want/need to use bundled effects (especially reverbs and compressors), because i don't own (nor do i want to) Waves or anything. so i want the bundled effects to be good.

what are people's thoughts?

i kind of don't give a shit that pro tools is used in every recording studio... i'm not trying to learn it so i can get some unpaid internship in the dying recording industry. if i myself ever go into a big studio, they can work with whatever i give them (be it a PT or a logic session).

so mainly i'd like to know which is easier to use for tracking/editing/arranging/mixing. and which is more stable (my guess is logic). and i'd like to know about the killer unique features and/or the really annoying flaws that you really only find out about once you've used it for awhile. (i used to know cubase very well, but have since forgotten everything about it except that steinberg's support really sucked.)

sorry for the rambling. i'd really like people's thoughts. if you could leave out all the insults and flaming that seems to come from asking any question on a forum these days, that'd be super.

leedsquietman

Re: Pro Tools 9 or Logic Pro?

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 am

Find some buddies who have one or the other and see if you can play around with their systems.
Personally I think Logic is still more complete than Protools 9, unless you buy the add on music toolkit at another $500, and certainly for scoring and video editing which requires another toolkit.

Protools without the toolkits does not provide surround sound, has a 96 track limit, still has no freeze functions (or fast bounce) which makes it a poor choice for laptop recording, requires an i-lok dongle (supplied), and is still quite new, expect it to be a bit of a bugfest at first when using non Avid/Digidesign interfaces. It is great for editing audio, doing multiple drum track quantizing and easier than Logic to get to grips with quickly, IMO.

Logic - you might surprise yourself and find yourself using some of the inbuilt synths such as ES-2 and Sculpture, it now has flex time, and offers less restrictions across the board. I personally think that unless you are trying to get a job in the recording industry (good luck with that, in these recession times !), or working semi-pro with people who demand Protools, that Logic offers more bang for buck. And certainly for MIDI composition, although PT has improved a lot since v8, Logic and Cubase are still probably the best for this.

I personally think Cubase is the best choice. However, if you're on a Mac with Snow Leopard, you might find that Logic is a better choice, given that Logic 9.1 has 64 bit capability, something Cubase isn't bringing to Mac until the next release, and the fact it uses OSX's core drivers and Audio Unit plugins sometimes leads to fewer issues.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks. I am going to be playing with my friend's logic setup his weekend. Don't know anyone with protools.

Even if I like the feel of one of them after playing around with it for an hour, I'd still like to hear people's experiences who have used them a lot. I recognize though that nobody has used PT9 much at this point.

Also, I thought Cubase 5 was already true 64-bit operation (just like Logic)?

Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17 pm

I worked with both.
For my personal (pre)production use, I mainly use Logic.
Why?
Because I tend to run large sample libraries, and numerous midi- instruments in a project. Midi-wise Logic eats PT's babies. (not sure about PT9 though)
On the other hand; when doing audio editing it's the exact opposite.
A lot of studio's these days tend to use logic as a secondary system since so much clients come in with logic sessions.
PT9 however CAN turn that tide....

Not an easy answer. Hope this helps.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
www.schnauzerstudios.com

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Logic's reverb & bundled effects are going to be far superior to Pro Tools. Just a better value for the money.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 am

This is true but both have their pros and cons.

Multi track drum comping, while improved in Logic since v8, is still not as good as PT and Flex time, while a great addition, is not as quick and easy as beat detective and elastic audio in PT. MIDI is still better in Logic, even though PT8 improved things significantly on that platform.

Protools gives you some good FX plugins, the new Air plugins are really good, the Bomb Factory ones are mostly good, Sansamp is industry standard. Where it lacks compared to Logic is in the inbuilt synths. Even though Logic's synths are old, they are still the best quality ones included in for free in a DAW.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Too ... nstruments

is a total list.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 am

The Air plugins are quite good. I was mainly thinking of reverb & compression, & to some extent delay since some of those were mentioned. Personally I use Live & Pro Tools.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:10 am

Logic.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Not used PT9, but PT8 was a nice DAW if you're more into audio than MIDI. Plugins were the best I've used in a DAW on the whole, Logic has some great effects as well, but overall, the world of plugins has moved on since Logic Pro 7 first come out, shame Logic hasn't generally moved with the times apart from adding more.

The current version of Logic is dreadful and full of all sorts of bugs. I actually can't use it for anything.

pan9

Post by pan9 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Sage wrote:..'

The current version of Logic is dreadful and full of all sorts of bugs. I actually can't use it for anything.

Quite the reverse, my experience with the current version of Logic has been FANTASTIC. Never a crash, despite plenty of third-party plugs, and incredibly economical cpu wise. Sorry your experience is so poor, but I think it must be your set-up, rather than Logic itself. I rate the plug-ins very highly, both the synths and FX. Most people just don't bother to get to know them well enough to use them effectively. You won't regret learning Logic, it will replay you, and it is a lot more intuitive these days than in the past.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Another nice thing about Logic is it's included when OSX looks for general updates. So no hunting around wondering if there was an update you aren't aware of.

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I use Logic, I love it. People always complain about it being hard to use, but I came from the garage band world, and It took me about a week or two of learning. I really recommend it, the effects that are built in are basically the shit, and very system and cpu friendly. I tried ProTools, but didin't like it as much.

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

pan9 wrote:

Quite the reverse, my experience with the current version of Logic has been FANTASTIC. Never a crash, despite plenty of third-party plugs, and incredibly economical cpu wise. Sorry your experience is so poor, but I think it must be your set-up, rather than Logic itself. I rate the plug-ins very highly, both the synths and FX. Most people just don't bother to get to know them well enough to use them effectively. You won't regret learning Logic, it will replay you, and it is a lot more intuitive these days than in the past.
Mine has crashed a couple times, but nothing serious really, It was because of using super heavy plugs.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:17 pm

pan9 wrote:

I've been using Logic for at least 5 years :lol: Nothing to do with my setup. Crashes aren't the issue, only ever had a couple with Logic 9, but it has other problems, such as audio playback, it does all sorts of strange things.

pan9

Post by pan9 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Never notices that here. What kind of problems have you been having on the audio side?