Something strange is happening...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
oddstep

Re: Something strange is happening...

Post by oddstep » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:39 pm

duck and cover

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I’m not sure if you were including yourself as a pro with no time on your hands or not. Doesn’t really matter.

I don’t agree with your point that pro musicians are more overworked than everyone else. Who exactly do they have less free time than? Shop workers? Call centre staff? Architects? Lawyers? Doctors?

If we had a survey of what careers had the longest working hours, would we see musicians at the top?

Pro musicians are fortunate that their work is also their passion (at least I hope so). The rest of us have to make do with using whatever free time we can get for our music, and try to balance it with the rest of our lives. Our time is precious too.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:16 pm

andydes wrote:I’m not sure if you were including yourself as a pro with no time on your hands or not. Doesn’t really matter.

I don’t agree with your point that pro musicians are more overworked than everyone else. Who exactly do they have less free time than? Shop workers? Call centre staff? Architects? Lawyers? Doctors?

If we had a survey of what careers had the longest working hours, would we see musicians at the top?

Pro musicians are fortunate that their work is also their passion (at least I hope so). The rest of us have to make do with using whatever free time we can get for our music, and try to balance it with the rest of our lives. Our time is precious too.
i worked big parts of my live as pro musican and my working times was from 16:00 to 6:00 7 days the week and the delivery date was allways yesterday and the next gig tomorow.. normal employes enjoy the fantastic concept of free time after work..
And that on a dayly base !! 8O and weekend´s !! and holydays..payed !!
work as your passion is a trully double edged sword.. the german word for passion describes it much better somehow..
leidenschaft...

anyway.. my try to get more pro again last year after was pretty much undermined by L8..crash before 2000 people..damaged remix for a major german act because of arrange bugs..had to redo it all in protools ove night ended with a less groovy version..

So i want to make sure that this is not happening again next year.. and.. i want a working version of the program now.. because i wont risk it again to go an stage with live as clockmaster for my hardware I need working syncing..

When ableton dont get this managed now once and for all i will give them a really hard time..
i will organize some competition by getting the rights from gibson to redo studio vision than ;-)
and that would ruin them :lol:
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 pm

as if any other work is not like that, 3phase. you at least could work with music AT WORK. i have to find some spare time to do it. which is quite hard if you sleep 4-maybe6hours each night because of the actual work.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.