Velocity markers not working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Velocity markers not working

Post by dilshan89 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey guys,

The velocity editor doesnt seem to be working for my drum beats. When I click and drag a velocity marker up and down nothing at all happens. I tried turning all the velocity markers down to 0 and the beat didnt change at all in volume! What could be wrong?

Thanks xx

Tone Deft

Re: Velocity markers not working

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm

you're tweaking the wrong clip.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

flippo

Post by flippo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

maybe the instruments in your drum rack are not set up to modulate any parameters via velocity?

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 am

Hi thanks for your replies,
flippo wrote:maybe the instruments in your drum rack are not set up to modulate any parameters via velocity?
How would I set them up so that they can modulate parameters via velocity in this way?

FurnitureFunk

Post by FurnitureFunk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:39 am

dilshan89 wrote:Hi thanks for your replies,
flippo wrote:maybe the instruments in your drum rack are not set up to modulate any parameters via velocity?
How would I set them up so that they can modulate parameters via velocity in this way?
If your drum sounds are each in an instance of Simpler, then you need to make sure that the value in the "Vel" (velocity) field on the far right (under "Volume" and "LFO" and above "voices") is anything but 0. The greater the number, the greater the range your volume can change via velocity. If you have a lot of drum sounds you can also change the velocity value for one sound in Simpler and then right click on the box and select "copy value to siblings". That will make the setting the same for all the sounds in the rack. Hope this solves it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 am

great advice! shows how much I use Simpler.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 am

FurnitureFunk wrote:
dilshan89 wrote:Hi thanks for your replies,
If your drum sounds are each in an instance of Simpler, then you need to make sure that the value in the "Vel" (velocity) field on the far right (under "Volume" and "LFO" and above "voices") is anything but 0. The greater the number, the greater the range your volume can change via velocity. If you have a lot of drum sounds you can also change the velocity value for one sound in Simpler and then right click on the box and select "copy value to siblings". That will make the setting the same for all the sounds in the rack. Hope this solves it.

Acetually my drum sounds are from a drum kit I downloaded. I access the sounds through the browser on ableton. They are all in .wav format. How would I alter the velocity for these sounds?

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am

dilshan89 wrote: Acetually my drum sounds are from a drum kit I downloaded. I access the sounds through the browser on ableton. They are all in .wav format. How would I alter the velocity for these sounds?
I'm a bit confused now... are you not still loading them into a Simpler? If so then the advice relating to Simpler still applies. It doesn't matter how you accessed or downloaded the sounds, what matters is what you're playing them with.