What does Warping with Grey NOT YELLOW makers do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dna598

Re: What does Warping with Grey NOT YELLOW makers do?

Post by dna598 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Perhaps we are confused...

but i've been shift+dragging transients/pseudo markers (the grey ones) for the last 2 years. They never really fall bang on the beginning of a snare/kik/transient automatically, so I move them independently...no?

So from what I can tell, the statement you made about not being able to move them independently was wrong.
I was just taken back by that a bit.
But they are for beat slicing really...which is not what the op is doing here. Glad it got answered.

no worries though!peace...
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

jkung

Post by jkung » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:10 pm

how would you use the grey markers to beat slice? just curious

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:13 pm

if you slice to transients, it slices to those transient markers.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:54 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought you could have as many yellow markers in a track as you want, and it's not gonna shift the other yellow ones. That is, they are locked at points in the song and the grey ones can move around when other yellows away from them are moved drastically.

although the 'warp straight' advice works for lots of electronic music, everytime i read it, i cannot help but think
of the fun of warping something like Can - Halleluhwah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNvJiIvitBQ

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 am

mmm Can ...that's nice

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 am

1nfinitezer0 wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought you could have as many yellow markers in a track as you want
You are absolutely correct. The example I gave was only to show 'what' transients do in a clip. Every yellow marker serves the purpose of a yellow and grey combined, the 'where and how' of the warp (stretch)... the greys are only the 'where'.

From each yellow to each yellow.... the first yellow tells live the tempo the segment should be stretched to (to maintain 'overall' speed), the next yellow ends one segment and gives a tempo/speed for the following section. If you click on each Yellow marker in a warped sample, you will see the varying tempos used by looking in the 'Segment BPM' box.

Yellow = Where and How... (Where?) 'Start here and stop there'..... (How?) 'at this speed'
Grey = Where.... pause (or jump to) 'Here', pause here, pause here, pause here... to maintain current speed without splitting a sound in half.
It's like breathing while you are talking to someone... your brain naturally picks most appropriate time to breath(pause), without breathing in the middle of a word or changing the pace you are talking so that the conversation sound normal.

I hope this explains things better. The best explanation is to do it and hear it at the slowed speed I mentioned earlier.