Ableton Guitarists

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
4rest
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 am
Location: earth

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by 4rest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

here is some of things i have been doing with live and guitar
the possibilities are endless
http://www.youtube.com/binarycontrollers

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Homebelly wrote:I played with perspex screens in front of my speakers...
what does this do?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Homebelly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm

H20nly wrote:
Homebelly wrote:I played with perspex screens in front of my speakers...
what does this do?
If your on a small stage but rely on having a saturated amp tone then you can mic the amp behind the perspex screen and not piss the sound guy off by bleeding into to many other mic's. It also cuts down the dB's being projected off of the stage wich means more of the guitar is in the front of house mix.
The best product to use is 7 layer ply and some kind of cloth baffling, but that takes away the visual aspect of a big ass marshall stack lording over the stage. The perspex is almost invisible in a light show.

Having said all of that, i was never in a touring situation where i had to rely on this type of set up.
My experience was playing in a small club type of deal with a saldano and a 4X12 when i was still of the opinion that you needed a big ass amp to sound awesome. I have since gotten over my self in that regard and have been using 30 to 50 watt amps for years.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 am

8) thx
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

mayabong
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by mayabong » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 am

4rest wrote:here is some of things i have been doing with live and guitar
the possibilities are endless
http://www.youtube.com/binarycontrollers
Cool stuff! really liked the deep house thing. Which guitar synth is that, I might have to get one.
Create your own website or blog on your own domain with Hostgator Use Code ABLETON123 for 25% off your order.

William
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by William » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm

How are you guys dealing with noise coming from the computer monitor?

I have a 90's Ibanez with humbuckers and I get tons of buzz/hum anytime I try to record with it.

I use an iMac so I can't turn the monitor off either.
Last edited by William on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

Yeh
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Yeh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I use a Line6 POD2 to get the guitar into my computer. So easy and sounds great:
http://bx.line6.com/pod20/

Here are some songs:
http://www.waxnwane.nl/mp3.html
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

Sage
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Sage » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Part of electric guitar is the relationship between the guitar and a loud amp. Which is something that can't be replicated unless you turn up your monitors to those levels, which defeats the whole point of amp sims.

Unfortunately I'm not in any project making use of a guitar through Live at the moment, generally been in bands with a lo-fi/analogue ethic, but guitars through Live is great fun. Being able to split the signal and run it through different effect chains is fantastic.

Rave
Posts: 6152
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Rave » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 pm

William wrote:How are you guys dealing with noise coming from the computer monitor?

I have a 90's Ibanez with humbuckers and I get tons of buzz/hum anytime I try to record with it.

I use an iMac so I can't turn the monitor off either.
I used to get this with my duet too.

I fixed this by changing the guitar cable.

agent314
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by agent314 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 pm

How are you guys dealing with noise coming from the computer monitor?

I have a 90's Ibanez with humbuckers and I get tons of buzz/hum anytime I try to record with it.

I use an iMac so I can't turn the monitor off either.
Hmm,with humbuckers and a LCD, you shouldn't be getting much noise at all. Sounds like a grounding problem somewhere in your chain.

William
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by William » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Ok thanks guys. I'll try swapping cables.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

nofreeedom
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by nofreeedom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm

I use ableton -- but only at home. I use a M-Audio Delta 1010LT card and have it in the effects loop of my amp and use Ableton for looping (use my G-System as the foot controller) as well as for VST effects as well as synths (I have a Roland GI-20). Just for f'ng around really...but the possibilities are endless. It's also convenient because it allows me to easily route the guitar output through just my amp and the guitar synth output just through my stereo..so distorted guitar and clean synth can be played at the same time and sound great.

It's a bit much to take to a gig or even band practice and since I am just in a hard rock cover band, off the wall sounds and synths aren't really essentials and my TC G-System is sufficient. I have my PC rackmounted with a pull out LCD/keyboard. I mean it isn't all that much to bring out if you had to but aside from it not being a necessity at this point, I'd be nervous about the stability...PC's being rattled around is not a good thing. Also, it is my only PC so I don't like parading it around.

You can get some really interesting effects though - I love using Kontakt's Spektral Delay and some of Guitar Rig's effects are interesting...things I definitely can't get on my G-System. Of course the synths are really cool..although there are so many sounds it is overwhelming and since I am a guitarist, it's too overwhelming - at least for me. For me, Guitar synth is a fun toy, as is looping -- but u can do some real serious stuff with it if you spent enough time on it.

One really helpful thing I use Ableton for is using the looper to record an idea and as it is playing back - playing over it and Ableton will record everything. Really good for coming up with ideas and writing solos/lead parts.

MartinOM28V
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by MartinOM28V » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:07 pm

I use the Waves/PRS Guitar Interface between my guitar and my Apogee Ensemble because it puts same load on the guitar signal as an amp would, which makes the resulting play and sound more realistic. I generally use Amplitube 3 although sometimes I'll go with GTR or Guitar Rig.

When recording acoustic (like my Martin OM-28) I go directly into the Ensemble with a pair of Rode NT3s.

None of that setup is unique to Ableton Live. Here's where that comes in for me:

1) Use a Sonuus G2M Guitar-to-MIDI converter to drive any synth sound I want. Once you get the hang of using the G2M it's a blast.

2) Use the Novation Launchpad to quickly record multiple layered parts. I drop about 8 different complementary drum loops into one channel, then set up my guitar in another channel. I play a drum track and record a guitar clip, usually just a basic rhythm. I record a series of rhythm parts in one channel, usually just doing a rhythm part for each drum loop. Then I play back the drums and rhythm and record lead in another channel, again making each lead riff into a different clip. Using the Launchpad makes this super-easy (just have to be fast enough to press the clip button and get back to the guitar without missing the beat). Similarly can add on bass loops and other guitar parts. Then play back a loop + rhythm + lead + whatever else combination, mix or match loops, figure out what sounds good. Creating songs this way is really fast and unlocks a lot more ideas than straightforward jamming ever did.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

William
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by William » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm

MartinOM28V wrote:I use the Waves/PRS Guitar Interface between my guitar and my Apogee Ensemble because it puts same load on the guitar signal as an amp would, which makes the resulting play and sound more realistic. I generally use Amplitube 3 although sometimes I'll go with GTR or Guitar Rig.

When recording acoustic (like my Martin OM-28) I go directly into the Ensemble with a pair of Rode NT3s.

None of that setup is unique to Ableton Live. Here's where that comes in for me:

1) Use a Sonuus G2M Guitar-to-MIDI converter to drive any synth sound I want. Once you get the hang of using the G2M it's a blast.

2) Use the Novation Launchpad to quickly record multiple layered parts. I drop about 8 different complementary drum loops into one channel, then set up my guitar in another channel. I play a drum track and record a guitar clip, usually just a basic rhythm. I record a series of rhythm parts in one channel, usually just doing a rhythm part for each drum loop. Then I play back the drums and rhythm and record lead in another channel, again making each lead riff into a different clip. Using the Launchpad makes this super-easy (just have to be fast enough to press the clip button and get back to the guitar without missing the beat). Similarly can add on bass loops and other guitar parts. Then play back a loop + rhythm + lead + whatever else combination, mix or match loops, figure out what sounds good. Creating songs this way is really fast and unlocks a lot more ideas than straightforward jamming ever did.
Great tip on that Waves PRS unit. I'm going to buy one today. Thanks!
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Homebelly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 pm

William wrote:
MartinOM28V wrote:I use the Waves/PRS Guitar Interface between my guitar and my Apogee Ensemble because it puts same load on the guitar signal as an amp would, which makes the resulting play and sound more realistic. I generally use Amplitube 3 although sometimes I'll go with GTR or Guitar Rig.

When recording acoustic (like my Martin OM-28) I go directly into the Ensemble with a pair of Rode NT3s.

None of that setup is unique to Ableton Live. Here's where that comes in for me:

1) Use a Sonuus G2M Guitar-to-MIDI converter to drive any synth sound I want. Once you get the hang of using the G2M it's a blast.

2) Use the Novation Launchpad to quickly record multiple layered parts. I drop about 8 different complementary drum loops into one channel, then set up my guitar in another channel. I play a drum track and record a guitar clip, usually just a basic rhythm. I record a series of rhythm parts in one channel, usually just doing a rhythm part for each drum loop. Then I play back the drums and rhythm and record lead in another channel, again making each lead riff into a different clip. Using the Launchpad makes this super-easy (just have to be fast enough to press the clip button and get back to the guitar without missing the beat). Similarly can add on bass loops and other guitar parts. Then play back a loop + rhythm + lead + whatever else combination, mix or match loops, figure out what sounds good. Creating songs this way is really fast and unlocks a lot more ideas than straightforward jamming ever did.
Great tip on that Waves PRS unit. I'm going to buy one today. Thanks!
If your in a money spending mood, and you have the budget, i would also recomend you take a look at eleven rack. If i was to go back to using digital modeling, this is probably where i would go.
Sounds great.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Post Reply