Ableton Guitarists

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rave

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by Rave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm

I played guitar for the b side of my last release Lilly B. Normally I just use the guitar for composing though.
Last edited by Rave on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm a guitarplayer using Ableton. I've got the UA25EX as my interface, and one of the preamps is Hi-Z for guitar, etc. inputs. Sound greats.

A couple of youtubes I put together in my music room:

My first attempt at a live looping video

A cover of This Must Be The Place+jam

My soundcloud page has a bunch of guitar-centric tracks

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:56 pm

guitar - the best analog synth money can buy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Tone Deft wrote:guitar - the best analog synth money can buy.
No latency either :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm

I diddle and dabble with the bass but record others playing guitar frequently as well. I've got a Presonus BlueTube preamp that adds a little more analog warmth, but like one of the other posters said... once you get into the digital realm the tweakability factor is high so you can find your sweet spot.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:50 pm

coldbuggin wrote:I use guitar with live. You can listen here:
http://elika.bandcamp.com/
Hi guys, have to say Loving your stuff! Hope to do something similar soon!
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

Madureira

Post by Madureira » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Guitarist right here!

Using a cheap Tascam US122L as in interface, and a couple of controllers for the synth stuff (UC33-e(mackie emulation) , Novation Nocturn, a 25key Evo MK225c, and a Nanopad with a APC 40 emulator script) + FCB1010 launching clips, and moving around GRig4 patches and whatnot.

I'm a wanna-be multi instrumentalist...haven't really done any live work but I just like to jam sometimes with the left hand on the guitar while playing some synth with the right hand and fooling around with effects and knobs on the midi controllers...Anything goes, really.

Anyone would care to share their jamming/ recording templates? Curious to see how you guys use Ableton on a guitar playing context.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:57 pm

kanuck wrote:
am wrote:part of an improvised live processed guitar and vocals, live + maschine... on youtube...

right here
my goodness, your stuff is brilliant. Curious where do you gig? And how do people take it? I come from a band background where it'd be high energy and I'm wondering if playing ambient music live is a good idea.
hey thanks for that.

that show i played was part of a laptop improv night that i help run in Melbourne.... so it was a pretty receptive crowd.

I haven't actually done that many shows doing that solo stuff (though I want to!). I guess it's a matter of finding the right venue/crowd.... white-walls as opposed to sticky-carpets!? ... but maybe not... music lovers are generally pretty open minded.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

placenta

Post by placenta » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:34 am

i'm using a focusrite interface, a spidervalve hd100 head, and line 6 4x12 flat cab. i have the direct line from the head going in the left channel and the cab mic'd on the right. so far i've just laid some scratch tracks so i haven't finalized my takes yet but i'm really happy with the tone split so far.
EUPHORIC MISANTHROPY GENERATION

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:50 am

I should probably mention that I also run my guitar through a Golden Age PRE-73.

I run everything through it then into my m-audio fast track ultra.

The PRE-73 just seems to open things up sonically with an instrument plugged into it. Really notice when I plug my Future Retro XS into it.

themavric

Post by themavric » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:58 am

Hey guys! Brand new to the forums, and just so happens that the guitar thread was the first I seen! I use a Schecter HR DLX through a M-Audio Fast Track USB. Use an Axiom 25 for bass and drum loops. Must say, Live is just amazing. Glad there are other people out there that do it!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:49 am

Recording even the cheapest 10 watt practice amp with a Shure SM57 or Sennheiser 421 (or a blended combination of both) sounds better than either Amplitube or Guitar Rig and typically requires less processing to fit it inside the mix.

I haven't heard AT3 (i've heard a lot of good things) and AT2 crashed both Cubase and Live like crazy for me, but I am a Guitar Rig fan because it provides better avante-garde/unusual guitar sounds, and the regular clean or overdriven ones I prefer to mic a cab etc. The control room option in GR4 is also awesome as you can combine so many different mic placements and mic types to really capture the optimal sound.

It's all subjective. But if you get the chance and your room doesn't sound horrible, micing is better - although I often use amp sims because of issues with neighbours and out of respect for the family (I typically get inspiration at 3 a.m. so hitting a power chord through a 100 watt Marshall stack isn't appreciated etc.)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:20 am

leedsquietman wrote:Recording even the cheapest 10 watt practice amp with a Shure SM57 or Sennheiser 421 (or a blended combination of both) sounds better than either Amplitube or Guitar Rig and typically requires less processing to fit it inside the mix.

I haven't heard AT3 (i've heard a lot of good things) and AT2 crashed both Cubase and Live like crazy for me, but I am a Guitar Rig fan because it provides better avante-garde/unusual guitar sounds, and the regular clean or overdriven ones I prefer to mic a cab etc. The control room option in GR4 is also awesome as you can combine so many different mic placements and mic types to really capture the optimal sound.

It's all subjective. But if you get the chance and your room doesn't sound horrible, micing is better - although I often use amp sims because of issues with neighbours and out of respect for the family (I typically get inspiration at 3 a.m. so hitting a power chord through a 100 watt Marshall stack isn't appreciated etc.)
hmm, that's interesting, I've heard opposite.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:27 am

Try it for yourself.

Amp sims are that - simulations. Recording an amp with a reasonable mic in a reasonable room with acoustic treatment gives you harmonics and early reflections in a non-linear way, something amp sims can only approximate. Of course, you need to have some engineering skills in choosing the correct mics and mic placements to get the optimal results.

This is not to say amp sims don't sound good and they have improved vastly in the past 4 or 5 years, but any real guitarist who's ever recorded with a nice guitar and amp combo in a nice studio room with miced up amps will not likely choose to record DI through an audio interface with Amplitube as a preference except for reasons of cost and convenience.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:29 am

leedsquietman wrote:Recording even the cheapest 10 watt practice amp with a Shure SM57 or Sennheiser 421 (or a blended combination of both) sounds better than either Amplitube or Guitar Rig and typically requires less processing to fit it inside the mix.
A big +1.

Right now i'm running my hand built JTM45..(see the thread in the lounge that i started about this bad boy) and a rivera silent sister iso cab.
I used to be all about the lin6 pods, and before the JTM45 i was running a MATAMP 1224. The pods are great and all, but there is nothing,, NAY-THANG!!.. Like a real actual tube amp, so much more dynamic and responsive.
I'm getting every thing inside Live using an SM57 and a presonus Firebox. The silent sister keeps things quite enough that i can be recording my amp at 5 or 6 and my wife can still be watching TV in the next room and not be bothered by my guitar and amp. I can turn the amp up to 10, but i have to put the iso box in another room to be able to fully hear what is coming out of live.
Tube amp+silent sister=best home recording guitar purchase ever.

Having said that, the new line6 HD500 and the new tube amp that can be controlled from it looks very cool.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud