Ableton Guitarists

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
William

Re: Ableton Guitarists

Post by William » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Homebelly wrote:
William wrote:
MartinOM28V wrote:I use the Waves/PRS Guitar Interface between my guitar and my Apogee Ensemble because it puts same load on the guitar signal as an amp would, which makes the resulting play and sound more realistic. I generally use Amplitube 3 although sometimes I'll go with GTR or Guitar Rig.

When recording acoustic (like my Martin OM-28) I go directly into the Ensemble with a pair of Rode NT3s.

None of that setup is unique to Ableton Live. Here's where that comes in for me:

1) Use a Sonuus G2M Guitar-to-MIDI converter to drive any synth sound I want. Once you get the hang of using the G2M it's a blast.

2) Use the Novation Launchpad to quickly record multiple layered parts. I drop about 8 different complementary drum loops into one channel, then set up my guitar in another channel. I play a drum track and record a guitar clip, usually just a basic rhythm. I record a series of rhythm parts in one channel, usually just doing a rhythm part for each drum loop. Then I play back the drums and rhythm and record lead in another channel, again making each lead riff into a different clip. Using the Launchpad makes this super-easy (just have to be fast enough to press the clip button and get back to the guitar without missing the beat). Similarly can add on bass loops and other guitar parts. Then play back a loop + rhythm + lead + whatever else combination, mix or match loops, figure out what sounds good. Creating songs this way is really fast and unlocks a lot more ideas than straightforward jamming ever did.
Great tip on that Waves PRS unit. I'm going to buy one today. Thanks!
If your in a money spending mood, and you have the budget, i would also recomend you take a look at eleven rack. If i was to go back to using digital modeling, this is probably where i would go.
Sounds great.
Yeah man that's definitely on my list. I'm hoping the Waves PRS makes using Guitar Rig (which I already own) a more feasible option until I want to drop the $$ on Eleven Rack.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 am

I use a pod XT and or NI Guitar Rig.

Live is good for experimental mangling, but I've just bought Logic Express and have been using that, as I find it much better for recording guitar takes.

Also the Amp plugins and pedalboard that come with Logic are easy and impressive (still can't believe that the Abes are charging for 'Amp' !!!!!)
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:25 am

I use either(sometimes both of) two chains : Strat or Parker dependant on my mood
guitar > Samson C-valve preamp > Alesis M Mix FW interface
guitar > Roland Cube Street (JC setting with a touch of stereo chorus) > stereo in of the Alesis
I also occasionally return/send either my Behringer UltraQ parametric EQ or the ComposerPro compressor on a track - to taste

from there, I've used primarily free amp-sims with good effect : Shred 1.5, TLR 150(fantastic for slightly gritty cleans), FreeAmp 3.6

so many great efx are available; I can get highly crazy from there both within LIVE efx racks & from vst plugins

Ableton has made me very happy as a guitarist

2 tracks : http://misternatural.bandcamp.com

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:25 am

Rave wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:guitar - the best analog synth money can buy.
No latency either :)
Curious, how are you getting no latency? Do you not plug it in through the computer?

YILA

Post by YILA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 am

yes
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 am

YILA wrote:yes
and you find you get no latency?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 pm

http://meplusyou.nwrecords.com
all done in live, all native devices, no external instruments, synths, pedals or anything.

kmika99

Post by kmika99 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 pm

As a guitarist, I am loving Ableton Live as my DAW.. and i'm learning more about it all the time..

I have a Firewire FA66 audio interface.
I use a line 6 xt and i plug my guitar into that. and i send the the signal from that into my FA66's digital input. sometimes i also put a clean signal from the line 6 into one of the inputs on my fa 66...this lets me play with the clean sound in live with any effects i want...i find that if i use overdriven or effected sounds going into live, the effects in live can overdo it...

it works great..as a hobbyist i can't get too caught up in the perfect tone..i don't have time..

i use drum core and off the shelf loops (has anyone ever heard of beat fetish? i love that one) to arrange a piece and then i just go nuts on my guitar.if i like a section i can loop it later..although i find this tricky sometimes to be honest..

also if you are like me and you like to play one note or chord and focus on the feeling, try something called the adrennlinn ....its strength is that its filters and effects are all synced to the beat and there are tons of terrific presets ...its a very unique sounding little guy
i think its an adrennlinn 3 now...the guitar goes in and the two audio outputs go into the fa66 directly.. there is a drum machine built in, and i recently figured out that i can record the drum and guitar separately..

i have found over time the best way to record anything into live is to just do it...

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Does anybody know if you have the Roland GK-3 synth pickup, can this be used on its own with the synths in Live 8, or do you still have to have the synth module like the GR-20?
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 pm

fcarroll wrote:Does anybody know if you have the Roland GK-3 synth pickup, can this be used on its own with the synths in Live 8, or do you still have to have the synth module like the GR-20?
I was wondering about this too. You do need a synth module. It seems as if the pickup only picks up the vibrations and frequencies and doesn't actually send out midi signals.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 pm

friend_kami wrote:http://meplusyou.nwrecords.com
all done in live, all native devices, no external instruments, synths, pedals or anything.
it's sooo good and what better it's on bandcamp free. Thanks so much. I'd pay for it if I weren't so broke. It really is spectacular though.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:39 am

kanuck wrote:
fcarroll wrote:Does anybody know if you have the Roland GK-3 synth pickup, can this be used on its own with the synths in Live 8, or do you still have to have the synth module like the GR-20?
I was wondering about this too. You do need a synth module. It seems as if the pickup only picks up the vibrations and frequencies and doesn't actually send out midi signals.
You will need some thing to act as a converter. The GK pickups them selves don't produce MIDI.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 am

Ableton + guitar is a great combo

Ableton with 2 x short loops + guitar and some some looping on the fly...

Live jam: http://www.vimeo.com/13405023

cheers,
bagginz

Gaetano CAPUANO

Post by Gaetano CAPUANO » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 pm

New user here. I just got Ableton 8 Lite over the weekend. I plan on using this to get to know the ins and outs of this program before I get the whole thing. I am looking to kind of be a one man band using Ableton, or at least be capable as such. I am into live, improvisational type looping. I am a guitarist and bassists but love experimental stuff.
http://www.customguitarloops.com
Need Guitar or Bass tracks for your project? Message me and lets work that out

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 pm

MartinOM28V wrote: 1) Use a Sonuus G2M Guitar-to-MIDI converter to drive any synth sound I want. Once you get the hang of using the G2M it's a blast.
+1 But in addition to driving a synth I simultaneously run the audio output into my soundcard and drive an amp sim(GR 4). You can get some crazy layered textures that way. The G2M is the most underated bit of kit for guitar.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.