FXpansion Geist (GURU 2) - NI Maschine killer ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oxygen23

FXpansion Geist (GURU 2) - NI Maschine killer ???

Post by oxygen23 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 am

Please check this video and write your opinion :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVxT2xx ... r_embedded

Nick Shepherd

Re: FXpansion Geist (GURU 2) - NI Maschine killer ???

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 am

oxygen23 wrote:Please check this video and write your thoughts about it :wink:

It looks allright and since i really liked Guru i guess its successor will be even better.

But its highly unlikely that it will come close to the feel Maschine delivers - no dedicated hardware controller ? gtfo ! ^^

Since Maschine also acts as a great multipurpose midicontroller (i use it for Live & Traktor sets aswell) the term "Maschine killer" is a bit far-fetched - companys would have to really step up their buisness, the way NI delivers the goodness is quite unique on the market these days.

djod

Post by djod » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 am

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153472

After this announcement I'd rather say they are hardly catching up...

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:
oxygen23 wrote:Please check this video and write your thoughts about it :wink:

It looks allright and since i really liked Guru i guess its successor will be even better.

But its highly unlikely that it will come close to the feel Maschine delivers - no dedicated hardware controller ? gtfo ! ^^

Since Maschine also acts as a great multipurpose midicontroller (i use it for Live & Traktor sets aswell) the term "Maschine killer" is a bit far-fetched - companys would have to really step up their buisness, the way NI delivers the goodness is quite unique on the market these days.
I agree with your statement in term of looking Maschine as a Live performance instrument..But, since I don't own Maschine (yet) I am thinking about Geist in way as a powerful and flexible sample plugin, so I don't need a dedicated controller for it..I think it is really great instrument for the price..

Damn, that sampling feature is amazing :)

necho

Post by necho » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Geist looks cool. Been waiting for a Guru update for ages. Looks like a massive imporivement.

But I don't think its in the same league as Maschine. Especially since the 1.6 announcement.

I bet Fxpansion are a little pissed off at NI's timing!
_________
sigs suck.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Would be nice to try it out but based on the demo video it doesn't have anything that Maschine doesn't have already.

And the Hardware was mentioned earlier. It's a big part of Maschine's appeal. It's a lot easier to edit samples and sequence with the dedicated controller.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

esky

Post by esky » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:19 pm

There are some good ideas for a Live Update, like the instand creating of a midinote when a slice is marked in a loop. That looks like a fine thing.

hubiedubie

Post by hubiedubie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 pm

This is now a very crowded market Maschine, Geist, Stylus RMX, RMV, BPM, BeatStation, Nerve. It looks great but unless they bring out a hardware controller, and add VST support plus a whole lot more features the 2 products are in a different league.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:36 pm

necho wrote:I bet Fxpansion are a little pissed off at NI's timing!
heh, ya I was thinking the same thing. I reckon it was intentional and I like NI all the more for it =)
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:56 pm

I find the premise of the video a bit odd. They're touting the idea of recording sequences. And they are implying that it's sort of a one stop shop. Who is their market?

Now I like Guru. And hell, I'd upgrade if the price was decent just to have an improved interface. In addition I'm one of those that have no need for NI's Maschine and I own Live. And let's assume at least one thing, let's say the msrp on this is $250. With that said...Who the hell is their market? Seriously.

If you're performing live there really isn't much incentive to go the Geist route instead of Maschine. If you're not performing live and you own a copy of Live then you already have seriously customizable drum racks that stack up well against Guru/Geist. And if you have one of the afore mentioned "drum/beat" solutions you will look seriously at it feature by feature before putting out any cash.

With all that said they chose to highlight the idea of starting a "whatever" from scratch and finishing the whole idea in Geist. Is this really the plan? Really? I don't get it. If they are just trying to iron out some of the ideas that should have made it into Guru and give their loyal customers a bit of an update then, well, ok, I guess. But they are conceding a lot of ground if this is supposed to compete with the latest greatest from everybody else. Guru's faithful have waited quite a while for this update. From what I have seen in the 3 videos this may not be enough.

And I definitely don't need yet another layer to record into. You want to make a host? Then make a host. I have a host, or two, or three and I'm definitely not looking to hide another layer of recording yet somewhere else that I have to keep track of.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Owning GURU I find it annoying that FXpansion are doing the whole "build up excitement for a new product" thing with even existing GURU customers.
There will be no information on what the upgrade cost will be until the 15th or whenever they release this. Obviously they aren't upgrading GURU anymore, and in my experience a name change in software land means the company wants to gouge it's existing user base, hopefully I'm wrong.
I like the new "song" features of Geist, it would be cool to see if that plays out well in Live etc.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Guru was developed in large part, if not totally, by Devine Machine/Steve Duda for fxpansion.

Geist isn't. The name change isn't just a cynical marketing ploy, I suspect it's totally new code and a necessary measure to distance themselves from DM/SD to avoid possible licensing/intellectual property/copyright type issues.

Hopefully they don't gouge you guys though.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:06 pm

dum wrote:Guru was developed in large part, if not totally, by Devine Machine/Steve Duda for fxpansion.

Geist isn't. The name change isn't just a cynical marketing ploy, I suspect it's totally new code and a necessary measure to distance themselves from DM/SD to avoid possible licensing/intellectual property/copyright type issues.

Hopefully they don't gouge you guys though.
Sauce?
Hadn't heard any of that before? Knew it was a Devine Machine collaboration, didn't know Geist was now distanced from Devine?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Hmm. Another drum machine that is turning into a Mini-DAW. I guess this is what the kids want?

I didn't see a single thing going on in that video that I don't already do just by using Live...with maschine at least I have the hardware to slap around...

but whatever. not for me!

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

dum

Post by dum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Sauce?
Hadn't heard any of that before? Knew it was a Devine Machine collaboration, didn't know Geist was now distanced from Devine?
Sauce is my guru owning buddies telling me about it, and I've seen it mentioned in forums somewhere else before. You can take my word for it, try googling it yourself, or start a thread about it on the fxpansion forum or some other busy place where a nerd bigger than myself can validate the claim for you :wink:

mholloway wrote:Hmm. Another drum machine that is turning into a Mini-DAW.
Ya, the video clips make it look all daw-tastic. Not my thing either.
What other drum machine do you think is turning into a mini-daw ? Not maschine I hope! Without owning a maschine it looks to me like it's more performance orientated, or ideal for use in conjunction with a daw...

?