reverse engineer musical notes

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sprooz

reverse engineer musical notes

Post by sprooz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Guys, I guess there is no way to do that, but just in case there is "some" way to do it:
I would need a software that recognizes the notes automatically: for example, you give it a piano track and it recognizes all the notes that are played so you can input them on ableton...

MarcAaron

Re: reverse engineer musical notes

Post by MarcAaron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:45 am

My Dad is a guitar player and has a nifty device he attaches to the guitar neck when he's tuning up. He plucks a string and a digital readout tells him the note. Just for grins, I borrowed it and held it up to my monitors and played back a couple songs.

The results are exactly what you would expect -- right on the money when there was just a single note being played, like an piano intro. As soon as the 2nd and subsequent instruments comes into play though, it's a lost cause. In general, when all the instrumentation in a song is playing, you're going to have all frequencies between 30Hz to 20Khz represented. So which will this magical device choose to display? Well, it really can't...

So really, the best device for doing this thing, you already own two of them, one on each side of the head :-) You could kill 2 birds with one stone by dragging the song into Live and looping a section as you play back a note on your keyboard (or whatever MIDI controller you're using), listening for a match: You'd get some ear training, and you'd eventually come up with what's being played in the song.

Or, you could "cheat" and Google the name of the song along with the keyword "MIDI". Quite often you'll find a free download of the MIDI notes for the song you're after, put together by some kind soul who's already done the work for you :-) And, of course, you could also buy the sheet music if available.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:07 am

Celemony Melodyne can do that, in fact it will generate a Standard MIDI File for you of the notes.

Of course, it's rather expensive to use it for just that...it's main use is pitch correction at which it is absolutely fantastic.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am

Transcribe! (http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html) attempts to recognized notes if you select a point in the music. If there is a lot going on it gets confused.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 am

doghouse wrote:Celemony Melodyne can do that, in fact it will generate a Standard MIDI File for you of the notes.

Of course, it's rather expensive to use it for just that...it's main use is pitch correction at which it is absolutely fantastic.
come on.. use or not.. thats a really impressive feature.. polyphonic midi notes :!: wow
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dum

Post by dum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

use your ears, and one of these

Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

MarcAaron

Post by MarcAaron » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 am

doghouse wrote:Celemony Melodyne can do that, in fact it will generate a Standard MIDI File for you of the notes.
Wow, that's interesting, and I did not know that. I've tried it with Autotune which, like the hardware tune-up device I mentioned in my earlier post, worked well for notes from a single instrument that were clear & not overly-processed in recording, but once it came to chords from the same instrument, or when additional instruments kicked in, that was pretty much the end of it.

I'm not doubting your word re: Melodyne, but when I use an spectrum analyzer to look at just about any commercially-produced song, there's such a broad range of frequencies covered by all the instruments that it boggles my mind to think software would know which notes to pull out and identify. Is it going to be the melody, or the bassline, or that synth arpeggio, the backing pad, etc?

A classic example of what I'm talking about would be the software we all see advertised that will "completely remove vocals from any song" to give you an instant karaoke track. I think most would agree it's not possible to actually do that with great success. To remove a tone, you'd have to first identify it in the mix, just like you'd have to do with software that would convert audio into sheet music. When any two or more instruments (like a voice, a guitar, etc.) overlap in frequency, how do you pick out the one you want?

Of course, I am still pretty new to music production so it's entirely possible I'm wrong about this :|

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:53 am

try looking for the .midi file online, there are thousands out there.

it's a LOL to take a heavy beat and lay a classic cheeseball song over it, eg Elton John. LOTS of very good piano players post their takes. it's nothing you'd want to render but it's a LOL.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

sprooz

Post by sprooz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm

wow, huge infos here! thanks a lot everyone!!!!