Monster cable lawsuits

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
futureproof

Monster cable lawsuits

Post by futureproof » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:47 am

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 25,00.html

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

Was just reading about this on KVR...as surreal as this sounds this is not a joke.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:50 am

really unbelivable.
Are the cable-makers afraid to be confused by the costumers with a skiing promotion company?

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:56 am

It gets MUCH worse. Do yourself a favor and read the KVR thread in its entirety. Here are a couple examples of who else they are suing:

DOCTOR ZARR'S AMAZING FUNK MONSTER (a local memphis BAND)
BOUDREAUX'S CAJUN KITCHEN, INC. - HOME OF THE MONSTER SHRIMP
(a restaurant)
discovery channel (monster garage)

In the thread you'll even find the email address of Monster Cables press contact.

I'll just go ahead and post it here.

Editorial and Press Contact:
Daniel Graham, PR Monster
dgraham@monstercable.com
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:10 am

i had problems with my company name , it was first registered as spider production ,& some internet companies gave me problems .
i don't have the money to fight them so i changed the name , it's unbelivable what power money has when it comes to busyness.

Monster

Post by Monster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:49 am

F*ck Monster Cable!

F*ck Corporate Bull Shit!

F*ck I’m going to be buying another brand of cable from now on!

Doing the … Monster … Monster … Mash

special ed

Post by special ed » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:51 pm

does that mean i cant call my **** a one-eyed-monster anymore?

sorry, i couldnt resist that one.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Well, if you want good cables, use Mogami. Don't have to support those Monster people.

mindlobster

monster

Post by mindlobster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:58 pm

Sounds like somebody's lawyer has to recoup the cost of their christmas shopping!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:06 pm

Monster Trucks were around first so Neener Neener!! :x =P

mindlobster

monster

Post by mindlobster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:14 pm

Don't give em any ideas!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:36 pm

I work for a ski resort and we work with a company called "Snow Monsters"(I think "they" are acutally one guy). They basically make skiing/snowboarding fun for little kids with videos, on-site stuff, etc. We've got people who dress up as monsters etc..... Anyhow, they have also been targeted by Monster Cable.
This is really getting out of hand here in the states. It's one thing to protect your trade name but it's another to drive small-businesses into obscurity because you're a monster dick.
It really sucks.

thelike5

Hey Ultrasource

Post by thelike5 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 pm

...read the Denverpost article.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 25,00.html

It specificly mentions the guy your talking about with the ski videos.

What a shame. I worked for years in music retail for a local mom & pop shop (Don't get me started about Sam Ash & Guitar Center's ethics) and the markup on those cables is ridiculus. (50.00 cable cost us about 9.00 dollars) and we were a MOM AND POP SHOP!! I wonder what GC or Sam Ash paid for there cables? I used them all of the time because our cost was dirt cheap. I know they are a well off company but I couldn't imagine they had clout to go after Disney, who I'm sad to say I almost feel bad for... Corporate greed 101.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:12 pm

I can understand suing over trademark infringment in some cases. If a company came along a started making mixers called Monster Mixers, then sure, that's too close for comfort, but suing the Chigago Bears? Or Disney for Monsters, Inc., CHRIST, IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT MONSTERS! THAT'S WHAT THE GODDAMN WORD MEANS! Are they intent on changing the very definition of the word "monster"?

That's some bullshit right there. I say we boycott these assholes.

k

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:32 pm

I think the whole says a lot about what capitalism is nowadays.
Hey, during my economy studies I was thaught that the neoliberisms express itself in the FREE MARKET.
Well, can someone please tell me what's free here?
I think that the only case where such legal actions are justified is if two companies with same or similar names operates in the same businness branch, eg. if an internet search engine would choose as name FOOKLE I can understand that the guys from GOOGLE get upset by the fact that some customers can make confusion between the two businness. But from cables to ski teachers there's lot of difference.
But, think only that near every train station in every land there's a restaurant called STATION RESTAURANt (Bahnhof Restaurant in germany/german-speaking part of the switzerland, Restaurant de la gare in france/french speaking part of the switzerland, Ristorante Stazione in italy/italian speaking part of the switzerland).
i guess in the US should be more or less the same.
So, will we see one days some restaurant paying lawyers to lmake other restaurant change its name?
I have the impression that in the US (but not only there) the lawyers have more power than er, the law itself, correct me if I'm wrong.

all the best & stay groovy.
PS.: remember to erase the word MONSTER from all your tracks titles, otherwise.....

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:25 pm

Who the hell buys Monster cables anyway? Yeah I want to spend a fortune on something I can easily make for one tenth the price.

"It's because I care so much about the quality of my sound that I can't get off my ass and pick up a soldering iron."

Strictly for "audiophile" jerk-offs.