Learning curve for Logic and Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hussey

Learning curve for Logic and Ableton

Post by hussey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:39 am

Having recently received Logic studio as a gift, I'm stuck in two minds regarding which program to dive into first. I have just recently purchased suite and was about to dive into Live, but with Logic now obtained, I'm not sure which one to start with. My workflow is to use Live and M4L as a sketchpad, so to speak, and use Logic for polishing the idea down. I'm stuck whether to learn a more traditional DAW in Logic first, or learn the more experimental and unique DAW that is Ableton. Would I get a better understanding of production by learning Logic first, or learn Ableton first as it will be my sketchpad for ideas? Thank you for any feedback.

Tarekith

Re: Learning curve for Logic and Ableton

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 am

I don't think either one will neccesarily help you with production more than the other per se, and they are still different enough that learnign either is going to take some time. Most people seem to think Live is a little easier to learn, but honestly I don't think Logic is really all that difficult for most things either. I guess I'd say start with Live, but realize that even for experienced people Logic is different enough that you're still going to have a learngin curve to tackle when you try that method too.

hussey

Post by hussey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 am

I very much appreciate it. I just have to convince myself now that I don't need racks of hardware synths to make decent, abstract music.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 am

Hardly! :)

hussey

Post by hussey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:08 am

Really? It's so easy to get caught up in it for someone beginning. You see artists with racks of shit. Beginners mindset I guess.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:18 am

a lot of the abstract music I'm into is made only with max/msp, you really don't need any hardware for the moment. Learn software and discover how you like to make music, then see if some hardware could help you with that.

as for your original question, I think learning Live first would be beneficial because of the integration with M4L and also racks. abstract music can benefit from complex effect chains, many things modulating at once with only 1 knob, etc..

what other artists are you into?

hussey

Post by hussey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 am

Some artists I like would be: Thomas Koner, Simon Scott, Pete Swanson, Yellow Swans, Rene Hall, Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Mika Vainio, Mark Van Hoen. That would be a few of the top of my head. I just picked up a zoom H1 field recorder, so there would be good sound design possibilities with that as well. I would like to integrate some instruments from folktek, and some guitar pedals, but that would be down the line. Are you saying MacGuffin, that complex results could be achieved without the need of a rack of hardware? What artists are you into? Would you mind if you told me your setup? The sound I would like to achieve would be raw, rough, lo-fi, and noisy, but with harmonic content. A good example is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXGOLZmSkw .

Sly One

Post by Sly One » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 am

Bear in mind that many consider the raw tones of Logic's built-in plugins to be sweeter, and I can vouch for the built-in instruments being much cleaner and authentic-sounding. However, that doesn't mean "better". I love Live's instruments for a bit of grit and as said above, racks and Live's crazier selection of digital manipulation plugs make it a far more creative environment for glitchy sonic experimentation, IMO.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Tim Hecker and Christian Fennesz are some of my favourite artists.
As far as I know, Fennesz uses only a guitar (with a Pod) and max/msp. If you have Live suite you don't even need a Pod as ableton now have released Amp.
Tim Hecker is also electric guitar, piano samples, and a shitload of plugins. He also has a nordlead, but Live's Analog can do a lot of the same things.

check out the super Destroy FX: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

between that and max for live you have enough for your next 6 albums ;)