Choosing Macbook Pro i5 i7 core and speed specs.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
davepermen

Re: Choosing Macbook Pro i5 i7 core and speed specs.

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 pm

i don't doubt the tests, nor your reading. it's just not really possible as far as i know the specs of those i7. but i'd have to check up on it. one thing that might have been is different laptops in the test (say i5 15", i7 17"), which could result in different termal behaviour => different overclocking potential. or it might be that something is actually locked down on the i5. no clue.

but thanks for confirming the latency issue.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd like to take the plunge and switch over to a mac, but there a little to much for me. I remember someone posting a link to a reseller, 2nd hand, re certified, something like that,dunno. Anyone remember what that site was ?
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:28 pm

cmreal04 wrote:I'd like to take the plunge and switch over to a mac, but there a little to much for me. I remember someone posting a link to a reseller, 2nd hand, re certified, something like that,dunno. Anyone remember what that site was ?
Don't know about that seller but every Mac I've bought has been from the Apple refurb. site.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Depending on what you're getting you can save up to a few hundred dollars. Same warranty as new, too.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Kind of on topic and to avoid starting a new thread and because I'm going to be buying one of these in the next couple weeks.

What's better here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC510 ... TkwMzU2MjE
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB953 ... TU3ODQ4Mjg

One has a 3.2 GHz i3 processor the other has a 2.66 GHz i5 processor.

i5 is better than i3, right? But the i3 is faster. I hate decisions like this.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am

Peripatetic wrote:
cmreal04 wrote:I'd like to take the plunge and switch over to a mac, but there a little to much for me. I remember someone posting a link to a reseller, 2nd hand, re certified, something like that,dunno. Anyone remember what that site was ?
Don't know about that seller but every Mac I've bought has been from the Apple refurb. site.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Depending on what you're getting you can save up to a few hundred dollars. Same warranty as new, too.

Thank you sir.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

FuzzyKeys

Post by FuzzyKeys » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:58 am

I have a pretty pimped out 2.8ghz 17'' C2D with 8GB RAM, 160GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 470 256GB SSD (Data, Samples, etc., replaced DVD drive w/ 2nd SSD). I use it for film scoring, as a keyboard rig, for electronic music production and mixing, and mobile recording. I didn't upgrade to the 2.53 i7 because the audio benchmarks really did not impress me. I tend to make a habit of not buying anything during computer-related during its 1st generation of distribution and I think there are good reasons to do so. a) the previous generation is always exceptionally less expensive, b) enough people have had the chance to complain that X is not as Y as Z by the time the 2nd and 3rd generations roll out. I'll buy a new MBP when I think Apple is competing in the hardware department little more (faster duals, quads, USB 3, maybe 6.0gps HD speeds, etc.). SATA is going to be obsolete very soon and USB 3 will similarly be taking over. If you're buying an expensive audio laptop that you can't completely upgrade, these are serious things to consider (as opposed to 10-15% increase in CPU speed from Generation N - Generation N+1).

sacrebleau

Post by sacrebleau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Steve,

I bought a 15.4 inch Macbook pro last Sept with full options (i7/2.66ghz, 8gb/1067 Mhz ddr3, 512SSD, hi-res anti-glare), I have Logic 9 Studio and Ableton 8.1.5 installed. I also have a PC desktop and a PC laptop that are running Ableton.

Ableton is as stable on mac as it is on pc. I had a few probs at the start with running both Logic and Ableton at the same time. Logic defaults Ableton as a rewire which at first is a big HUH?? But once I got the hang of it (which is mainly not to run Logic if you intend to use Ableton on its own) everything was fine and dandy. Running Ableton as a Logic rewire gives me lots of tools for editing midi events whereas Ableton gives me a lot of tools for editing samples, not to mention great sounds.

There's no question i7 is really fast. I read that it overclocks when you need computing power the most, but you hardly ever need it with audio, unless you're work contains hundreds of audio tracks, using a lot of cpu-hungry plug-ins.

The power of i7 is very much noticeable when I am rendering graphics (Maya/Final Cut Pro). It dramatically cuts rendering time. No mate, I don't work for Apple :-)

sacrebleau

Post by sacrebleau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Oh and by the way, I almost forgot, with the macbook pro i7 you could drop your buffer size in Ableton down to 29 samples and it will give you 0.98ms of latency - almost zero, without crackles and pops. You could record vocals and input midi in realtime - even without an audio interface, via usb, which is great - but even greater if you have an audio interface, then you could use serious microphones :D

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I understand and agree with the comment about not buying a first generation anything machine.

However - 'not impressed by the performance' compared to a 2.8 Ghz C2D is a strange comment.

Every benchmark I've seen has the i7 absolutely destroying the C2Ds, especially on low latency settings we are talking double the amount of streaming audio and plugins. The i3s are not so far ahead but the i5 and i7 killed it.

Then you contradict yourself by loading 2 SSD drives, which are barely out of first generation and not without issues ...

Firewire and USB 2 will be around for a good while yet. While lightpeak and USB 3 are coming in, computer manufacturers can't decide which route they're going yet and audio is notoriously behind stuff like graphics and video processing, like FFS, the FW800 format never really took off in spite of offering much more bandwidth and speed over FW400 and new USB 2 and FW400 interfaces are still just being released. So nothing is going to obsolete IMHO for at least 2-3 years.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sacrebleau

Post by sacrebleau » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 am

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 that requires a huge buffer size from my PC when recording vox otherwise it'll crackle and pop as I record, increasing the buffer however also increases the latency. The problem was solved with the macbook pro, I hooked it up with a FW800 to FW400 cable - seamless. The MBP also powers the interface, as opposed to my PC laptop with a mini usb - I have to use my interface power supply for that.

Schack

Post by Schack » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:40 pm

I got the i7 2.66 and I've been very happy with it so far. Just wanted to say I've had no issues with the firewire 800 port. I have a Glyph GT050Q and a Metric Halo ULN-2 hooked up to it, in that order and it's running smooth.
Macbook Pro i7 2.66gHz, 4GB Ram, 512MB Vram, Metric Halo ULN-2, DPA 4006, SL 10.6.5, Live 8.2.1
http://esbenschack.com