Logic and Logic Express

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ciscolassiter

Logic and Logic Express

Post by ciscolassiter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:45 pm

Has anybody out there had much experience w/Logic? and if so -- how does it compare/contrast w/Live (and/or ProTools, Reason, Cubase, etc.). I am primarily a jazz musician, not an engineer, DJ or mixmaster. I mainly play, compose, improvise -- both solo and with other musicians. But I am increasingly interested in recording, editing, mixing my compositions and I'd like to become more adept with software out there that can help me do that. (Mac - OS X friendly stuff only). I'm fishing here, trying to decide what to buy...where to go now that I've kind of maxed out Garage Band's capabilities. Any suggestions?

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:16 pm

Before Live 4 I would have told you that I logged most of my composition time on Logic Pro 6, but since Live 4 pulled Midi into the fold, I find myself opening Live 4 nearly everytime I sit down to compose. Live 4 is my choice--any day of the week.

Another thing to consider is the steep learning curve associated with Logic. I have invested a lot of time trying to master Logic to the point that it becomes tranparent to my music-making process. And now, I'm not really certain it's been worth it. Live 4 just feels more akin to my instincts.

cheers!

zebastian21

Post by zebastian21 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:20 pm

hey there....i've used and have protools, logic pro 7, reason 2.5 and live 4 .
what i can tell you is that for me live 4 is great for composing with loops, there is nothing better .....in the other hand live doesnt feel as pro as logic pro 7 or reason.
logic pro 7 its aimed towards people who want to compose more than record, it comes with a bunch of instruments right out the box....and they sound amazing!!......but its a little bit more complicated than protools for audio.
reason is very interesting....i personally hate its sequencer, therefore i rarely use it, im just hoping someday they make it work as vst, but it has all yo need as LP7. reason doesnt record audio...so keep that in mind...
bottom line is, try to test all of them ...go to a music store...or download demos..... all sequencers are basicly the same, u just need to find the one that suits you......
if you wanna composse ther best option is Logic Pro 7.
or reason 2.5 waayy cheaper and more limited than LP7, but what a great value .
protools is good if you want to record a band or edit pre recorded material.
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

mindlobster

Logic and Live

Post by mindlobster » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:59 pm

Logic is WORK, Live is FUN!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases