Help with a Purchase - Logic or Omnisphere

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jersey Garcia

Help with a Purchase - Logic or Omnisphere

Post by Jersey Garcia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

I currently run Ableton Live 8, NI Komplete 6 (Kontakt 4, Reaktor 5.5, Battery 3, Absynth 5, Massive, FM8), Stylus RMX, and Trilian. I've got a MOTU Ultralite, APC40, Korg Padkontrol, Novation ReMote SL 37, and Monome 128.

I'm thinking about Logic Studio or Omnisphere. Also considering Max for Live (likely just in addition to Logic).

Any thoughts? I know Omnisphere is amazing, but it'll be more of a toy in my opinion, versus Logic being a useful tool for recording/mixing.

What would you buy and why?

leedsquietman

Re: Help with a Purchase - Logic or Omnisphere

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 pm

What are you trying to achieve with the purchase ?

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you have money burning a hole in your pocket and just want to spend it on the first thing for some gearlust.

I'm broke and could be on the verge of losing my house - I could use the $500 if you aren't clear on what you're spending it on :wink:

Something to think about : you already have a ton of sound options with the plugins you already own. I would concentrate on mastering those first before buying something like Omnisphere, which is very impressive but expensive and takes a massive amount of hard disk space with it's sound content, a lot of which could be done (or approximated) with your existing tools.

How would Max For Live be 'something to use with Logic'. It is designed as an Ableton add on to give you the functionality of the stand alone programming environment of Max/MSP.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 pm

you know,before you buy new gear/stuff,ask yourself if it is what you NEED or WANT.
seems to me you've got a lot stuff that can do amazing things already.you can already record/mix with Live,what do you need Logic for?
sure,Logic is way more refined in the mixing department,but is that necessary for YOU?
if you go past the initial excitement when you bought Omnisphere/Logic or whatever,you will probably start looking again for the next shiny thing out there again.

not knocking Logic 9(i use that beside Live myself for mixing etc)or Omnisphere(sounds amazing),but here's the deal :

KNOW YOUR TOOLS!!!(like Leeds said above).

unless you have a will of steel and absolutely don't get distracted by anything,more tools are only going to give you more problems than solutions.

try putting yourself on a diet :use one plugin(like Absynth for example) standalone for a week(all N.I. plugins can operate standalone),and do everything with that.you'll be amazed at how much you can do with one plugin like that.
plus it's a really good way to get to KNOW the instrument.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:34 pm

If you have to ask other people what you need, then you don't NEED anything :) Wait, save the cash, and keep working with that huge collection of tools you already have until you know for sure you need something.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Neither. Buy an iPad.

Sounds like you've got a lot of music stuff going on already. If you like making music related purchases with the initial investment in an iPad you'll be able to do that a lot more frequently with apps at a way cheaper cost.

Are you going to make me post that link to the extremely long thread showing what music related apps are available for the iPad?

Jersey Garcia

Post by Jersey Garcia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you have to ask other people what you need, then you don't NEED anything :) Wait, save the cash, and keep working with that huge collection of tools you already have until you know for sure you need something.
well that's the thing. i'm not really happy with Live for mixing and i'm interested in what Logic can bring to the table. Omnisphere is mainly something that I know would be fun as hell and would open up some doors sonically.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 pm

What is it about Live that you don't enjoy mixing and how do you think using Logic will improve your situation?

I have my own reasons for using a second DAW in conjunction with Live, but I am very clear about why I choose this.

Logic doesn't offer any demos, so you could use finding a buddy with it who can help you run through the basics of it, or watch any of the plethora of youtube vids etc on Logic 9 etc.

Sometimes the grass always seems greener on the other side, but when you get there you might not be any clearer or find yourself still wanting for something - it's always best to master your own tools first before looking elsewhere. If you were really comfortable with Live and all it's functions, you may or may not find it beneficial to put Logic in your chain, but if you are not well versed in using Live and all it's functionality, you are maybe overlooking features and details which could make a difference.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 pm

If you want to play sounds get Omnisphere, if you want to mix/engineer maybe get Logic but if you have the gearlust for both then that's what you will end up buying...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 pm

This is a general guide which usually works out like this.

When you see that the OP already has Komplete 6, Trilian and RMX, that he is already well equipped with about 50GB of sample content, many virtual instruments (absynth, massive, fm8 etc), there is subjectively less need for Omnisphere than if all you had was Live (esp. the regular, non Suite version) and a couple of individual synth plugins.

What is it about Logic which is catching your interest and making you consider a purchase ?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Jersey Garcia wrote: Omnisphere is mainly something that I know would be fun as hell and would open up some doors sonically.

You own Komplete 6 -- how many sonic doors do you think you can already open? I'll tell you - infinte. NI products alone give you more than you can use. Reaktor alone gives you more than you can use. Omnisphere is a great product but I'm really doubting you've "opened the sonic doors" of Komplete to any such extent that you need Omnisphere.

I gotta join the others -- this is a classic case of Gear Bloat.

But I'm a victim of the same affliction friend, so spend away I guess....

btw based on what you're doing I struggle to see how logic would be satisfying to you.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi,

I agree with all that's been said.

I recently moved to Logic (I still use Live) as I find it better for recording Guitar and ironically
in a way I've become far more productive.

Lives' session view is unsurpassed for chucking together ideas, but that tended to be all I did.
I've been forced to effectively 'compose' in Logic, which has been very satisfying.

However, if you're totally cool with live and you don't need the more in depth features of Logic
I can't see too much point in changing.

Cheers
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Im I the only one to really dig the arrangement view in Live? I come from Cubase/reason and now I only use the Live in arrangement mode to construct my songs. everything is just efficient. (well maybe except the lack of advanced midi tools, but I can live with that.)

CR78

Post by CR78 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 am

You could also save a ton and just get Reaper or even Harrison Mixbuss. Compose/Create in Live and you can Rewire into either for arranging and adding that final polish.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 am

you sir are an impulse buyer and a shopaholic.

why the hell would you buy max for live as an add on for logic?
what?
how are you people coming up with this stuff?

seriously what is wrong with the people on this forum lately... its like every since ableton divided up the gereral forum to this hell hole and the lounge there has been a surplus of "what should i buy" or "what is better" and a ton of "check this redundant new plug in out"

stop it!
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:42 am

i also need help with a purchase.... toothpaste or aluminum foil..
i am looking to wash my car this weekend, what would be better for my needs?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.